Unt's Charles Clay

Been out of town on business the past three days, and just caught up with how practices are going. I'm going to try to make the game tomorrow, but my boy's been sick, so we'll see.

Love what I read here from Vito:

"Micah Mosley made an appearance with UNT's tight ends today. It's all part of Mike Canales' plan to use some of UNT's bigger backup running backs in hybrid roles."

To me, this indicates the night and day difference we're going to see with a guy like Canales - he knows how to work all talent into the picture. I argued last year that Mosley should be used the way Tulsa uses Charles Clay - at H-back, Fullback, Tight end, Wide Receiver, and Halfback.

We already know Mosley can run tough. I know he may have been tweaked by small injuries somewhat in 2008. But, there really was no excuse to have him standing on the sideline line year.

I'm chomping at the bit to see this guy tear into people the way Tulsa's Charles Clay does when people focus on their receivers or run game. I think Mosley will be a true weapon at a variety of positions in 2010 - and help us get back to championship form.

So happy we've got coaches who are working him in again. Clay gets alot of TDs for Tulsa from so many different positions. I think Mosley can be that kind of X-factor/game-breaker for Canales' offense.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Garrett Mills from Tulsa a couple years back was an absolute beast in that same position.

Good point. Mills has hung on as a practice squad player for four seasons, occasionally being put on the Vikings active roster in the past. He was Kragthorpe's first hybrid H-back/Tight end.

Wouldn't it be cool to see Mosley thrive under the new scheme the way Mills did after Kragthrope arrived at TU in 2003? Guy ended up setting alot of receiving records on the way to the NFL. Would love to see Mosley schemed into a 50-60 catch season and a combine invite to cap off his career.

http://www.tulsahurricane.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mills_garrett00.html

http://www.vikings.com/team/roster/Garrett-Mills/d17c3f11-7e3a-42b2-9174-e912eb58c63f

Couldn't agree more on this topic. Mosley, Austin Fitzpatrick, and Jeremi Mathis can make a huge difference in the passing game and running game. Losing the threat of #11 running the ball (Thompson will run, but isn't a homerun threat) magnifies the need for someone to pick up that slack in the offense. It's the old adage that "you can't cover all of them", and if Canales will utilize these hybrid type of athletes it really opens up a lot of opportunities for big plays and eating up chunks of yardage at a time.

Don't forget about Jamize Olawale the TE recruit from California as well as Chris Bynes the WR recruit from Kansas who will be here in the fall. Olawale is a 240 lbs H-Back type that runs a 4.5 40yd and averaged 25 YPC last season. He's one of the most exciting recruits in the 2010 signing class to me. If used correctly he can be a huge matchup nightmare. Bynes is a WR recruit who weighed in a 220 lbs on his visit that can also run (shown in his role as an outside WR at Coffeyville JC) and create matchup problems.

The college player from this past season that always comes to mind who was visible to the entire country on a regular basis was Aaron Hernandez the "TE" from Florida. He was arguably the most valuable player in the Florida offense not named Tebow and was a 1st team All-American.

• Upvote 1