Ot - Texas Stadium

Sammy Sauls

Man the memories...can't believe the old stadium's going to be blown up this weekend. Outside of Six Flags and some of the local malls, Texas Stadium is the only place that I can still relate to my childhood. Seeing the pictures of it as it stands now and when it was first built is sad.

Linkage

The Cotton Bowl holds some nice memories for me as well, but no telling how much longer Jerry's palace will allow that one to hang around.

North Texas played the first major college game at Texas Stadium in 71. We even played there before the Cowboys. I can't recall our opponent...Louisville maybe. While it was a beautiful place to play, I thought it was a mistake to play our home games so far from campus. Plus, our 3000 or so fans did not begin to fill the stadium!

Somehow, I got a job as a bartender at the Stadium Club and was able to see all of the Cowboy games free of charge and in great comfort. Sorry to see the stadium go!

North Texas played the first major college game at Texas Stadium in 71. We even played there before the Cowboys. I can't recall our opponent...Louisville maybe. While it was a beautiful place to play, I thought it was a mistake to play our home games so far from campus. Plus, our 3000 or so fans did not begin to fill the stadium!

North Texas was to open the 1971 season with BYU at Texas Stadium Sept. 10 but it was delayed opening and we played them at the Cotton Bowl instead. We finally played at Texas Stadium October 16, 1971 beating Louisville 20-17.

NTSU/UNT hosted many programs at Texas Stadium that would not have played us at Fouts in modern times back then. These included Mississippi State, Kansas, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and our all-time home attendance record against Texas A$M of 45,923.

I also saw many high school playoff games at Texas Stadium including the all-time Texas state hs attendance record of 50,000 for Plano vs. PNG in 1977.