Riley Out At Qb

Wow, this really hurts. I've always felt Riley was the best QB on this team and gave this program the best chance to win considering how taylored the offense was to his style. We are heading into another season with a VERY big unknown at QB. Looks like the nail in the coffin for Teflon Todd. At least we'll have something to look forward to in 2011!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

Wow, guess I've been so wrapped up in work and basketball lately that I didn't catch this 'til now. Sad in a way, but I kind of suspected it was going to happen one way or another. Glad it didn't have to happen through another injury, because I was genuinely concerned about his safety back there. We really need someone at QB who can get the ball downfield and keep the LB's honest. I think Riley will make a great receiver, but for health reasons I'm not so sure I want to see him as a return man.

I think it helps the run game because we now have 2 big arms that can keep the defense on their heels if Canales takes the leash off of the QB's. They are not running threats or at least that is the opinion but with more established routes and use of TE's the running game should flourish.

While begging for another QB, we already have a HS recruit coming in this fall and get get plenty of reps in practice, also Baine will be ready to go if needed as well.

QB should not be a worry right now.

Agree on both points. QB, although young, will be my least concern.

it didn't have to happen through another injury, because I was genuinely concerned about his safety back there. We really need someone at QB who can get the ball downfield and keep the LB's honest. I think Riley will make a great receiver, but for health reasons I'm not so sure I want to see him as a return man.

Not saying injury is a good excuse for anything. But if TD is using Injury as a way of saying RD could not make it as a QB, then let him Return all the balls he wants.

Secondly, at WR and Punt RT there are not any O-linemen who will allow RD to get hurt as much.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

It does suck for Riley, but I think he is going to be a better slot WR than QB. I think we are going to surprise some people next year. Plenty of slot Wrs have at one time played QB in high school or college. This is a smart move by Todd.

Edited by jtm0097

I don't care what any of yall say, TUNE IS THE MAN and that will be obvious by the time the first game rolls around!

Every quarterback needs an unbiased friend on a message board. That support is usually very important to coaches and other players.

• Upvote 3

Every quarterback needs an unbiased friend on a message board. That support is usually very important to coaches and other players.

Haha, not a friend, but thats good. That support is based on watching the former QB always throw a pic at the most critical junction in the game, but heck, if you want to hang on to those memories, be my guest. Either way it goes, Tune or one of the younger guys, at least we will have a QB that can see over the line!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Haha, not a friend, but thats good. That support is based on watching the former QB always throw a pic at the most critical junction in the game, but heck, if you want to hang on to those memories, be my guest. Either way it goes, Tune or one of the younger guys, at least we will have a QB that can see over the line!

I don't think 5'11" Drew Brees had any trouble seeing over the line. Oh well, old passe subject. Instead of talking about shortness, I guess we can start bitching and screaming about lack of mobility now. There will always be something for us to cry about unless we go 13-0. Even then we will find something. Like BCS bitching.

Am I the only one who looks back at Rodge's stats and is completely underwhelmed? I feel that when watching the games he put up much better numbers than this. And this is coming from a guy who referred to him as Jay Cutler minus the diabetes.

The guy showed flashes of what could be in the future. At least, those were my thoughts on Riley. The potential is there, the body isn't. Based on what he did just last season, I don't think we'll see a huge dropoff at the QB play this year. If he were healthy, we may have seen a huge improvement, who knows? At any rate, I'm hoping someone steps up.

• Upvote 2

Kind of like Tune's Pick Six on his first pass of the Ohio game? And throwing the INT at the worst moment was Vizza's top skill, but when he transferred you would have thought we were shutting down the football program from the way that people reacted.

Kind of like Tune's Pick Six on his first pass of the Ohio game? And throwing the INT at the worst moment was Vizza's top skill, but when he transferred you would have thought we were shutting down the football program from the way that people reacted.

Playing quarterback for the Mean Green is the toughest position in college sports.

Playing quarterback for the Mean Green is the toughest position in college sports.

Really? Of all the teams, sports and positions in college sports, you see playing QB for UNT as the toughest position? How so?

Really? Of all the teams, sports and positions in college sports, you see playing QB for UNT as the toughest position? How so?

It's not my position, but... Just going by averages: Most of them seem to survive a year or less over the past half decade.

If it weren't for Thompson's three minutes of action, he'd be potentially (off the top of my head) the 5th freshman to start at QB for us in the past 6 seasons.

You are ever so right. Tune personally called a pass play when he came in ice cold, with a lead, and a running game that was working, right? And he didn't then march straight back down the field and retake the lead...oh wait, yes he did. And he didn't hit a receiver in the hands in both regulation AND overtime only to see game winning touchdowns dropped...wait, he did that too.

• Upvote 2

You are ever so right. Tune personally called a pass play when he came in ice cold, with a lead, and a running game that was working, right? And he didn't then march straight back down the field and retake the lead...oh wait, yes he did. And he didn't hit a receiver in the hands in both regulation AND overtime only to see game winning touchdowns dropped...wait, he did that too.

Don't forget how he'd spent 3 years as the offensive coordinator relying extensively on stop routes at the line of scrimmage, so that any DC that had ever seen any game tape on us would know they could potentially have their CBs just jump the route at the line of scrimmage and then have a wide open path to the end zone.

Damn that Tune... I'm glad we replaced him with Canales.

Word brah.