Mean Green Signs Frank Gaines

NCMeanGreen

Huge improvement at the Defensive End position this year. Twice the numbers of quality players, twice the size and twice the talent. I honestly feel like we have a fighting chance to improve our pass rush...Miller, Gaines, Weber, Anyiem, AK47, Heming, Boutwell, Cantly...not to mention a freshman stud in Aaron Bellazin on the way...

Happy DEays are here Again!!! GMG!

I will be VERY intested in how Gaines approaches this signing, since we were not exactly at the top of his list.

In all honesty, would we really want players that have UNT at the "top of their list" after winning only 5 games in three seasons? Frankly, I'd prefer to get those guys that have Texas or OU on the top of their list. I know it doesn't exactly feel good to hear someone say that UNT was not their first choice, but just because some kids don't say it doesn't mean it's not true.

I doubt anyone on the team had NT at the top of their dream schools to play for. However, that is different from Gaines who apparently had no other fb division offers openly expressing his desire to find something better. But, that is all water under the bridge at this point, and I hope he strongly contributes and is glad he finally made the right decision.

There is a vast different between quality and quantity at the defensive end position. NT certainly has numbers but that in its self screams desperation. The last minute signing of Gaines and before that fellow California juco Miller, is illustrative that NT doesn't think they have an answer at the position. Anyone remember how Cole was going to be the answer at de. I am surprised that they are once again trying Cantly at de when after started him at dt at the end of the season. I also have doubts that Anyiam or Weber will play outside. I do believe that Owusu-Heming if he can stay in good shape with the staff maybe a starter with the other being Akpunku with Obi and perhaps a better than anticipated Boutwell in the rotation.

So is this a real deal or some screwed up April 1st stunt?

• Upvote 1

laugh.gif

Huge improvement at the Defensive End position this year. Twice the numbers of quality players, twice the size and twice the talent. I honestly feel like we have a fighting chance to improve our pass rush...Miller, Gaines, Weber, Anyiem, AK47, Heming, Boutwell, Cantly...not to mention a freshman stud in Aaron Bellazin on the way...

I hope Poncho makes a difference.

Hey...You missed Obi..at 230 plus in spring, he may be the best of them all.

For those that may not know, there are more juco level football teams in California than the rest of the US combined, over 70. Mississippi comes in second with 14 schools and the rest of the US about 50. Not sure if all the California are the highest level of juco competition, but its seems if in need of juco players, it is the first place to look despite being so far away. Simon use to get criticized for recruiting there, but he did get some good players.

Historically, for UNT it is fairly rare to dig into the Cali Juco's. I remember Simon signed a tight end from a Cali Juco that left football and became a cheerleader, I think his name was Brian something. Scott Blank was another Juco from the Simon regime and a pretty talented defensive end. I cannot remember a Cali Juco during the Dickey regime I am probably forgetting someone. Dodge seems to be more open to it.

Historically, for UNT it is fairly rare to dig into the Cali Juco's. I remember Simon signed a tight end from a Cali Juco that left football and became a cheerleader, I think his name was Brian something. Scott Blank was another Juco from the Simon regime and a pretty talented defensive end. I cannot remember a Cali Juco during the Dickey regime I am probably forgetting someone. Dodge seems to be more open to it.

CCSF produces good talent. They are normally one of the best of the Cali JUCOs. Nebraska QB Zac Lee, Oregon QB Jeremiah Masoli, and New Mexico State's LT Dwayne Barton, Florida DT Edwin Herbert, Misouri Safeties Jarrell Harrison and Kenronte Walker and LB Josh Tatum, Hawaii DL Jake Huen and WR Darius Bright, New Mexico Center Ben Contreras, ULM DT Quantez Hunter, Tennesse DE Gerald Williams....

Former All-American LB Larry Grant from Ohio State and Lance Mitchell of Oklahoma.

This is a JUCO that puts out FBS-quality players on both sides of the ball, and has been doing so for decades. This is a good get...if the guy shows up.