J'mison Morgan To Transfer From Ucla

ADLER

J'mison Morgan to Transfer

This 6-10 250 pound former 5 star center is the son of former North Texas great Ronnie Morgan.

He made a mistake by signing with UCLA which was chasing after the highest rated players at every position, but not players that would necessarily fit their system.

This kid can become an absolute beast. It would be incredible if he winds up at North Texas.

• Upvote 2

J'mison Morgan to Transfer

This 6-10 250 pound former 5 star center is the son of former North Texas great Ronnie Morgan.

He made a mistake by signing with UCLA which was chasing after the highest rated players at every position, but not players that would necessarily fit their system.

This kid can become an absolute beast. It would be incredible if he winds up at North Texas.

The problem was not their system, which rewards good big people, but the fact that he showed up so out of shape he could not run the court.

Oh, I forgot. You don't care about that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

PLEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEE let this happen! If he truely is looking to play closer to home what other school would be a better option? TCU..no SMU...No maybe he ends up at Baylor or OK. St or something, but this seems like it would be a great fit. How awesome would it be if we could somehow convince Morgan along with Babb to come to NT, pay their own way for a year as they sit out.

If he won't get in shape.....when he has the chance to play....what do you think he'll do when he has to sit out a year?

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1069134

Whenever I think about his possible conditioning issues, I think about watching a big fat Mike Smith kicking Sun Belt ass as a sophomore at the 2008 SBC Tournament in Mobile.

If Mike Smith can drag his blubbery ass up and down the court and do so well against SBC competition, I'm pretty confident that J'mison Morgan will be just fine.

web.sp.12.7.mbballvskansas.picL_jpg_598x598_upscale_q85.jpg

Morgan at UCLA

Pantsfixinguy.jpg

Mike Smith at UALR

Bobo is in the best shape of his life; losing over 50 lbs since his soph year of HS. He has never logged big minutes playing behind Darrell Arthur, Kevin Rodgers and Ronnie Jr. He is what he is, and in my opinion, not as effective with the lost weight. I saw Kendrick Perkins literally quit on his team (Beaumont Ozen) in the state championship game against Dallas Lincoln and a much quicker Chris Bosh. Bobo, like Perkins, should not be expected to excell in an up tempo system. He needs to be in a half court system and/or limited to about 25 minutes. If it wasn't for fatigue, he oftened stayed in foul trouble as a result of attempting to block every shot. Additionally, the refs would always access fouls against him against the smaller opposition. Bobo's conditioning, or lack thereof, stems from leg problems as a kid.

Don't know where he will end up but I'm convinced that his AAU coach (Ervin "Big E" Davis) of DFW Urban Elite will

will be a major factor. Yes, Chris Davis' brother. Chris serves as an Asst/advisor to the team. UNT makes the most since he is not high-major talent. (which will

eliminate Baylor) Baylor has already signed 6-11 Perry Jones of Duncanville (the only Texan to play in tommorrows McDonald's game). I don't see Matt Dougherty (sp) being at SMU after next season. Additionally, his HS coach, James Mays and others, are on record as saying that they will

not send any kids to the hilltop

after they fired former Kimball coach Jimmy Tubbs after 2 seasons. (with a much better record than Dougherty and less resources) Looks like JJ's is going to have to create an opening!

Typing from the Iphone so pardon the errors.

Realized I was getting the AAU coaches mixed up! Bobo did run with DFW Urban Elite coached by Jazzy; not Ervin Davis ( Dallas Showtyme) For whatever it is worth, a source from a source is indicating that UNT is Bobo's preference. Just passing on an unconfirmed rumor outside of the Morgan family.

Edited by Cooley

J'mison is 6-10 and 250 pounds and excels in a zone defense. North Texas plays zone, UCLA doesn't.

North Texas has some excellent outside scorers lined up for the next few years, and another excellent player if Babb transfers, but what about the interior players?

Both Odufuwa and Spencer are about to use their final year of eligibility. Who will North Texas have ready to play the center position after they're gone?

692119.jpg

This is a moot point. Unless we drop McGhee, we have no more scholarships to give, correct? Morgan is not the type of player that will pay his own way for a year. He doesn't have to as TCU or SMU would jump all over him. Did Edwards sign an early LOI? If so, it's McGhee or Morgan.

I would take Morgan (6'10" athletic big men dont grow on trees) .

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Ehh... I like his size, but he doesn't strike me as much of a natural point guard.

Sorry, couldn't help it. Please accept this +1 as a token of my remorse and apology. tongue.gif

Hey, as the girls used to tell you, size matters.unsure.gif

Morgan would be a better addition than any point guard we could sign.

Maybe he could be a point center?

• Upvote 1

In my experience... They don't talk much until the drugs wear off and they wake up. And by the time that happens, I've usually already left them back in a public place.

Thanks for being a good sport.

Whoever just offered up a -1 for this needs to lighten up.

Unless you yourself are the victim of a drugging and rape, in which case I am deeply sorry for all the physical and emotional pain and scaring I'm sure the event left you.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 8

Unless you yourself are the victim of a drugging and rape, in which case I am deeply sorry for all the physical and emotional pain and scaring I'm sure the event left you.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... What are you talking about, "rape"?

I meant my volunteer kidney transplants. I've dedicated my life and medical training to providing no-cost organ transplants to the uninsured.

I don't have a post-op area in my home surgical theater, so whenever I operate on a female patient that needs life-saving medical care and can't afford a proper hospital, I always make sure to leave them somewhere public rather than having them unconscious at my house. To avoid any appearance of impropriety.

Don't lump me in with your sex crimes, pervert.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Wow, I can see a lineup with a big six-ten Morgan, an athletic six-eight Holmen, a lights out shooting six-six McGhee, a six-four disher in Alzee, and whoever else jumps into the rotation two years from now. Not only may we not miss a beat after next year, we may actually pick one up. Come on J'mison, we love ya here, and let's keep the tradition going!

Now we know the reason for all those legalization arguments you make.ph34r.gif

J'mison is 6-10 and 250 pounds and excels in a zone defense. North Texas plays zone, UCLA doesn't.

North Texas has some excellent outside scorers lined up for the next few years, and another excellent player if Babb transfers, but what about the interior players?

Both Odufuwa and Spencer are about to use their final year of eligibility. Who will North Texas have ready to play the center position after they're gone?

692119.jpg

(looks around)

knox knox knox knox KNOX KNOX KNOX KNOX!!!!

• Downvote 1

Am I the only one that finds it arrogant that UCLA terms the non-renewal of a scholarship a dismissal? It is obvious they want to make room for another 5 star high school player but why make it look like the player has done something other than be as good as they hoped by terming it a dismissal.

Am I the only one that finds it arrogant that UCLA terms the non-renewal of a scholarship a dismissal? It is obvious they want to make room for another 5 star high school player but why make it look like the player has done something other than be as good as they hoped by terming it a dismissal.

Maybe Bobo will get a chance to get back at UCLA in the near future. UNT will be in the tourney for the remainder of his and JJ's time here, will UCLA make it in?

Maybe Bobo will get a chance to get back at UCLA in the near future. UNT will be in the tourney for the remainder of his and JJ's time here, will UCLA make it in?

Umm yes, I suspect the Bruins to be back next year. Programs like UNC and UCLA never stay out for too long.

You can ask yourself about it soon.

:mellow:

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bobo is in the best shape of his life; losing over 50 lbs since his soph year of HS. He is what he is, and in my opinion, not as effective with the lost weight.

For whatever it is worth, a source from a source is indicating that UNT is Bobo's preference. Just passing on an unconfirmed rumor outside of the Morgan family.

I believe that UCLA took a very dominant high school center and tried to convert him into speedy, much lighter forward. J'mison transformed himself through an extreme exercise regimen and a strict diet to get to the 235 pound range. That's pretty thin for someone over 6-10. It didn't work well for J'mison as sheer bulk can have an impact for positioning of a center, especially on defense. J'mison quickly became expendable at UCLA which required speed for it's running style, and the one thing that team was very deep on is 6-7 to 6-9 forwards that were light and quick.

I would love to see J'mison come to North Texas and rebuild his muscle mass to where he's playing in the 260-270 pound range and to become again the coveted NBA prospect that he formerly was. That would also give J'mison the opportunity to show the UCLA community what they really missed on.