Denton Park Renaming Issue

I would favor it being a memorial to all the Iraq/Afghanistan war vets. To name it after one person would be fine, but why not honor all the conflict's soldiers from the area who paid the ultimate sacrifice and/or were injured in the war? You can say that by naming it after one person it honors all, but I am not sure that's they way it would be seen in "reality".

The great thing about this is that people aren't "rioting in the streets" because Denton is considering this naming and honoring of our soldiers from the Iraq/Afghanistan Wars. If this had been brought up during "my time" (Viet Nam) there would be rioting in the streets and major protests at City Hall for certain. My how times do change...and in this situation...100% for the better.

May God bless all our military personnel and their families!

• Upvote 1

I would favor it being a memorial to all the Iraq/Afghanistan war vets. To name it after one person would be fine, but why not honor all the conflict's soldiers from the area who paid the ultimate sacrifice and/or were injured in the war? You can say that by naming it after one person it honors all, but I am not sure that's they way it would be seen in "reality".

The great thing about this is that people aren't "rioting in the streets" because Denton is considering this naming and honoring of our soldiers from the Iraq/Afghanistan Wars. If this had been brought up during "my time" (Viet Nam) there would be rioting in the streets and major protests at City Hall for certain. My how times do change...and in this situation...100% for the better.

May God bless all our military personnel and their families!

I don't know about injuries, but this young man is the only person from Denton to have died in Iraq or Afghanistan.

I don't know about injuries, but this young man is the only person from Denton to have died in Iraq or Afghanistan.

The article says he was the 'first', not the 'only' one... If he were the ONLY one, then I think it would be a no-brainer. If I was the mother or father of the 2nd, 3rd, etc... soldier to die in the war, then I would not feel that 'honoring one, honors all'.

How 'bout Coach Canales Park? TFLF, I know you're with me!

The article says he was the 'first', not the 'only' one... If he were the ONLY one, then I think it would be a no-brainer. If I was the mother or father of the 2nd, 3rd, etc... soldier to die in the war, then I would not feel that 'honoring one, honors all'.

How 'bout Coach Canales Park? TFLF, I know you're with me!

He is the only one. From another article:

"Dallas remains the only Denton resident to die in the Iraq war"

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/drc/localnews/denton/stories/DRC_park_name_0329.1f38f5ed6.html

He is the only one. From another article:

"Dallas remains the only Denton resident to die in the Iraq war"

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/drc/localnews/denton/stories/DRC_park_name_0329.1f38f5ed6.html

And Afghanistan?

Maybe we should let the war end first before we memorialize anyone just yet?

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for memorializing our fallen soldiers. I just don't want to leave others out. No one soldier is more important than another.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan

Unfortunately, perhaps I should remind the parks board folks that the war in Iraq and Afghanistan is not over as yet. My bride and I have a son in Iraq at this time. We hope and pray for his safe return...along with all the others currently and in the future stationed in the war zones.

Again, I would prefer that the park be named as a memorial to all who served.

I think the board will make a good decision either way....and I am sure all the citizens of Denton will be pleased whichever way the final decision goes.

• Upvote 1

Tonight during the Park & Rec board meeting, we took public comments on this issue. When the board session began, I made a motion to recommend to the city council that the park be renamed the Spec. Ernest W. Dallas, Jr. Veteran's Memorial Park.

The motion passed unanimously.

• Upvote 1

Tonight during the Park & Rec board meeting, we took public comments on this issue. When the board session began, I made a motion to recommend to the city council that the park be renamed the Spec. Ernest W. Dallas, Jr. Veteran's Memorial Park.

The motion passed unanimously.

I see a lot of people calling it Veteran's Memorial Park only cause the full name is just so ... wordy.