Derek Thompson

MeanGreen61

Good size (6'4, 228), strong/accurate arm, not shabby as a runner. Pushing Tune for the backup spot.

Will Thompson be a strong challenger to Riley for playing time ?

The competition is good for all 3 QBs.

However, I don't think either will push Riley for the starter job. Coach Canales is high on Riley...

Between Thompson & Tune, I have no problems with our backup QB though.

The competition is good for all 3 QBs.

However, I don't think either will push Riley for the starter job. Coach Canales is high on Riley...

Between Thompson & Tune, I have no problems with our backup QB though.

I would like to see Thompson get the redshirt season back this year. Tune is more than capable as a backup and Baine can be coached up for the year. If we get another year of eligibility back for Thompson, then we will have a QB for a year after Riley graduates, assuming that he starts the next 3 seasons.

• Upvote 2

I would like to see Thompson get the redshirt season back this year. Tune is more than capable as a backup and Baine can be coached up for the year. If we get another year of eligibility back for Thompson, then we will have a QB for a year after Riley graduates, assuming that he starts the next 3 seasons.

An interesting thought. If Riley is out more than one game, though, I think you can forget about it. I don't know that the coaches can approach this season with the mindset "make sure Thompson keeps his shirt this year." But if we get to game 7-8 and he hasn't seen any PT, I would hope they would do what they can.

An interesting thought. If Riley is out more than one game, though, I think you can forget about it. I don't know that the coaches can approach this season with the mindset "make sure Thompson keeps his shirt this year." But if we get to game 7-8 and he hasn't seen any PT, I would hope they would do what they can.

The last three football seasons - one high school and two college - have ended due to injury for Riley. Therefore, I don't see the point in redshirting Thompson. It almost inevitable that he'll be needed. In fact, I'd advocate starting him if he's got the strongest arm of the three and can grasp everything Canales wants to do.

In all honesty, both Tune and Thompson have better arms than Riley. Either will be fine. But...dadgum...isn't it exciting to see a kid 6'4" and 230 taking snaps? I mean, people talk about Riley being able to run around; but, what about having a QB as big as a linebacker being able to stand in the pocket, take a hit, and deliver the ball? That's every bit as valuable as "running around" with the ball.

In fact, I'd say being able to stay in the pocket, take a hit, and deliver is more valuable because the timing of the play isn't messed up. If a QB pulls the ball down, receivers have got to readjust their routes and either (1) looks for an open space, or (2) come back to the ball. Everything's helter skelter at that point...and it led to too many turnovers last year.

I like the thought of a bigger kid being able to hang in there and allow the receivers to complete their routes. I love Nathan Tune, but...dadgummit I'm pullng for this kid Thompson!

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Has anyone heard anything about Thompson getting a wavier for last year? RV had said that he was working on getting Thompson waiver for having to play those few minutes because of extreme circumstances so Thompson would not lose his red shirt status for last season. Not sure if it was BS or not.

• Upvote 1

I hope so DL1, but if the rules says that if you play you lose your shirt.... then I don't know what can be done. I suppose that the NCAA can make exceptions to the rules and I hope they do in this case but if I am not mistaken that bridge has already been crossed and we lost that fight... I do hope I am mistaken though.

That being said, how can we give redshirts to BBall players who saw time in a few games, but not football players?

I hope so DL1, but if the rules says that if you play you lose your shirt.... then I don't know what can be done. I suppose that the NCAA can make exceptions to the rules and I hope they do in this case but if I am not mistaken that bridge has already been crossed and we lost that fight... I do hope I am mistaken though.

That being said, how can we give redshirts to BBall players who saw time in a few games, but not football players?

If you are referring to DJ this season, he got a medical redshirt....As far as Thompson goes, I sure do want his redshirt back.....

The last three football seasons - one high school and two college - have ended due to injury for Riley. Therefore, I don't see the point in redshirting Thompson. It almost inevitable that he'll be needed. In fact, I'd advocate starting him if he's got the strongest arm of the three and can grasp everything Canales wants to do.

In all honesty, both Tune and Thompson have better arms than Riley. Either will be fine. But...dadgum...isn't it exciting to see a kid 6'4" and 230 taking snaps? I mean, people talk about Riley being able to run around; but, what about having a QB as big as a linebacker being able to stand in the pocket, take a hit, and deliver the ball? That's every bit as valuable as "running around" with the ball.

In fact, I'd say being able to stay in the pocket, take a hit, and deliver is more valuable because the timing of the play isn't messed up. If a QB pulls the ball down, receivers have got to readjust their routes and either (1) looks for an open space, or (2) come back to the ball. Everything's helter skelter at that point...and it led to too many turnovers last year.

I like the thought of a bigger kid being able to hang in there and allow the receivers to complete their routes. I love Nathan Tune, but...dadgummit I'm pullng for this kid Thompson!

I had to give you a "+" on this one. I was in Glen Rose last weekend, helping my wife who was teaching an art workshop at the Fossil Rim Wildlife Park. I couldn't help but think of Derek Thompson when I was in town there. That and pie; the Pie Peddlar has wonderful pies of whatever flavor we love here in Texas, by the slice, the whole pie, or they'll combine portions of different pies and sell them to you in one box. We got some cherry, key lime, and pecan. Had some of the pecan with ice cream this . Nothing against Riley, I just like the idea of Thompson, based on what people have said about him. My prediction: along with Fossil Rim, Dinosaur Valley, and the Pie Peddlar, Glen Rose will become known as the home of Derek Thompson.

• Upvote 1

Not so fast there buddy. I ran into Rodge this morning at the gas station by IHOP and he was looking very strong. Said his shoulder/arm felt great.

Already working on making it a reality?

I think (hope) that Coach Chico will realize that Rodge is too injury prone and playing out of position at this level. I think that after several early season injuries, Rodge makes the move back to the slot, where he can cointinue to help the team. I see Thompson starting with Rodge providing a change of pace at the QB position about 5 to 8 plays a game.

But, hey, thats just me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Already working on making it a reality?

I think (hope) that Coach Chico will realize that Rodge is too injury prone and playing out of position at this level. I think that after several early season injuries, Rodge makes the move back to the slot, where he can cointinue to help the team. I see Thompson starting with Rodge providing a change of pace at the QB position about 5 to 8 plays a game.

But, hey, thats just me.

This doesn't make much sense other than a wildcat or something. With a wildcat, I think I would rather have Hamilton or Carey running that.

You don't just change out the QB for a play or 2 like you would WR's or RB's.

I like what I'm hearing about Thompson, and I think the excitement is justifiable. However, Riley Dodge is the best QB option we have at UNT. No matter the size, no matter the injury history, etc... If he does happen to get injured, which I hope he doesn't because as stated: he's the best QB option we have; then by george, put Thompson in and continue the success!

• Upvote 2

This doesn't make much sense other than a wildcat or something. With a wildcat, I think I would rather have Hamilton or Carey running that.

With Carey or Hamilton, there is zero fear of the forward pass out of the formation. With Rodge, much fear.