Michigan Christian Milita Group Arrested

To some respect you are right. Much of this was perpitrated by the Catholic Church. To the Jews it was directed at them. There really was not any sort of Protestant Reformation during this time. So who, then, were the victims? Mostly jews and unbelievers and your personal enemies and people you just did not like. During these times the Jews (and others) were forced to convert to the Catholic Church. If not then you could be tortured/killed. Some jews and others half heartedly and some fully reformed to catholosism. The worst was some fellow called Torquemada (sp)who was a Converso (a former Jew who had gone to the "other side."). I have seen his name in the same sentence with Trotsky, Lennin, Stalin and Hitler.....and just as brutal.

The movements of that day had no direct relation to the modern Protestant denominations, but there were the Waldenses and Albigenses, among other groups and individuals. The Inquisition was initially set up by the Roman Church at the 4th Lateran Council in 1215. Its purpose was to deal with (i.e., "kill) individual heretics (i.e., those who wanted to practice Biblical Christianity rather than the Pope's religion) before they could develop large numbers of followers. It was later that Jews and Moors, et al. came under the Inquisition. At least two-thirds of the population of Southern France was wiped out in an effort to stop the Albigenses.

The definition of Christian is "a follower of Christ." Christ never took up arms to advance His cause, and He forbade His followers to take up arms to advance Christianity. "Christian Militia" is an impossibility, an oxymoron.

Please enlighten me about the Crusades and how these wars were not centered on religion or at the very least sanctioned by the religious leadership. It really seems like a very Christian thing to do to go rescue people under Muslim rule and liberate the birthplace of Christ.

So, does that make the Cruades an oxymoron? It's definitely not an impossiblity as it happened and can be found in our history books.

popcorn.jpg

Edited by UNTFan23

Please enlighten me about the Crusades and how these wars were not centered on religion or at the very least sanctioned by the religious leadership. It really seems like a very Christian thing to do to go rescue people under Muslim rule and liberate the birthplace of Christ.

So, does that make the Cruades an oxymoron? It's definitely not an impossiblity as it happened and can be found in our history books.

Yes, the Crusades happened, but they went against every teaching of Christ. Hence, they cannot accurately be termed "Christian," although those participating in them went under those pretenses.

Yes, the Crusades happened, but they went against every teaching of Christ. Hence, they cannot accurately be termed "Christian," although those participating in them went under those pretenses.

There are a lot of people today that should not be termed "Christian" even though they consider themselves as such, which is where I see some of the hypocrisy that exists in organized religion.

There are a lot of people today that should not be termed "Christian" even though they consider themselves as such, which is where I see some of the hypocrisy that exists in organized religion.

Sadly, I cant help but agree with this.

The 'religion' part of Christianity is valuable: fellowship, learning, etc..., but it is not what Christianity is fully about. Often times, the baby is thrown out with the bathwater when people dismiss Christianity because of high-profile Benny Hinn type hypocrites, or the guy in the next cube talking about his upstanding 'Christian' life, then cutting corners in his business.

I think everyone is a hypocrite in some kind of way. I must admit that I am, sometimes failing the 'do what I say, not what I do' test. That's human nature. So if anyone identifies themselves with a certain religion (or any organization for that matter) and fail, then the scrutiny will be there over the entire religion/organization. Once again, the Muslim faith is exhibit A.

Sadly, I cant help but agree with this.

The 'religion' part of Christianity is valuable: fellowship, learning, etc..., but it is not what Christianity is fully about. Often times, the baby is thrown out with the bathwater when people dismiss Christianity because of high-profile Benny Hinn type hypocrites, or the guy in the next cube talking about his upstanding 'Christian' life, then cutting corners in his business.

I think everyone is a hypocrite in some kind of way. I must admit that I am, sometimes failing the 'do what I say, not what I do' test. That's human nature. So if anyone identifies themselves with a certain religion (or any organization for that matter) and fail, then the scrutiny will be there over the entire religion/organization. Once again, the Muslim faith is exhibit A.

I won't necessarily disagree that everyone is a hypocrite "in some kind of way." We all come short of where we believe we should be--if we don't, we're setting the mark too low, and certainly low of where the Lord set it. But as Jesus used the word hypocrite, He referred to those who entire lives were an act, thus the term literally meaning "stage actor." There's an infinitesimal difference between one who makes a mistake, acknowledges it, and looks to the Lord for forgiveness than one who says, "I'm going to do whatever I want and call it Christianity."

I bow before your dazzling intellect. I am most obviously unworthy.

I'm flattered that you consider my knowledge of famous Monty Python quotes as "dazzling intellect"...maybe I'm being too modest.

Relax though...the only thing you are obviously unworthy of is being a fan of British sketch comedy. I'm sure that devastates you. :D

EDIT

Thanks for posting the link Hickory!

Edited by BeanCounterGrad'03

I love it when people fight over which imaginary friend is better. It's like elementary school, but with less logic involved.

I'm not sure there really is such things as imaginary friends.

;)

Edited by UNTFan23