Unt Hopes New Coaching Lineup Sparks Offense

Brett Vito

So what were you saying during the Dickey years?

Since you asked:

My goodness, who would want to hire a coach who has won four consecutive conference championships?

One of these years he will get a nice promotion and leave NT. A few years after he leaves we will look back on the Dickey years as "the good old days".

• Upvote 4

Good research, Quoner....... I like teams that play great defense, have a sound kicking game, and run the ball mixed with play action passes. That pretty much describes the teams that went to four New Orleans Bowls. I really thought the man could keep it going and get a nice promotion to a higher level school. We all know that it didn't work out that way, but I sure enjoyed those three and one-half years of fun.

• Upvote 2

"UNT will begin installing new wrinkles in its offense immediately. Dodge said running backs Micah Mosley and Jeremi Mathis are prime candidates to become utility players who UNT will use as H-backs in the running and passing games."

Good. This is something I suggested last year. Looks like having Canales aboard is already paying off.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

"UNT will begin installing new wrinkles in its offense immediately. Dodge said running backs Micah Mosley and Jeremi Mathis are prime candidates to become utility players who UNT will use as H-backs in the running and passing games."

Good. This is something I suggested last year. Looks like having Canales aboard is already paying off.

TFLF = Canales? Have these 2 ever been seen in the same room at the same time? Wonder what other suggestions TFLF/Canales made last year will be implemented into the offense this year :)

Everything I'm hearing causes me to picture practices with Canales at one end, sweating and tearing into the offense, DeLoach at the other end doing the same to the defense, and Dodge sitting indian style on a sideline playing minesweeper on his cell phone.... a prospect which greatly excites me.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

Everything I'm hearing causes me to picture practices with Canales at one end, sweating and tearing into the offense, DeLoach at the other end doing the same to the defense, and Dodge sitting indian style on a sideline playing minesweeper on his cell phone.... a prospect which greatly excites me.

Sounds like my wedding night, but with less crying and an equal to less amount of blood.

• Upvote 2

Completely agree.

This quote is sig worthy.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if the hiring of CANALES (assuming we turn the ship around, which I do) will change anyone's mind about DODGE. Should he get credit for being a good coach? Part of a good coach's job is to assemble a competent staff of assistants, which Dodge did at SLC, but failed to do (until now?) at UNT.

If we fail in the red zone and lose a game next year, who will be blamed? I suppose we will also have to assume that Canales will get a play called before burning 2 timeouts.

If the defense gives up 35-40pts/game again this year is it going to be Dodge's fault or will it finally be DeLoach's?

I wonder if the hiring of CANALES (assuming we turn the ship around, which I do) will change anyone's mind about DODGE. Should he get credit for being a good coach? Part of a good coach's job is to assemble a competent staff of assistants, which Dodge did at SLC, but failed to do (until now?) at UNT.

If we fail in the red zone and lose a game next year, who will be blamed? I suppose we will also have to assume that Canales will get a play called before burning 2 timeouts.

If the defense gives up 35-40pts/game again this year is it going to be Dodge's fault or will it finally be DeLoach's?

What SHOULD happen?? If we turn the thing around to a generally satisfactory level, everyone will be happy with just about everything. Everyone stays, criticism is muted, and high fives all around. If we don't, they're all history, and we treat this era like the shockingly similar Trilli era as far as history goes. We start worrying about the next guy exclusively and that dominates discussion. Sure, we could analyze HOWs and WHYs all night, but this the gist of it. Being in an "ultimatum year", there won't be much need for it.

As far as what "credit" Dodge gets if we do turn it around? I think people might concede he's a decent recruiter (because a turnaround implies results), and some are enamored with him as the "face of the program"... but I don't think success this year does much for his reputation as an in game coach because of all the new hires. That said, my biggest positive reaction towards Dodge, win or lose, is that he was finally willing to check his ego at the door and make wholesale changes to his staff, philosophy, and "football plan" rather than go down with the dramatically failing ship. I'll give him that no matter what happens. If we fall flat again this year, it's not for lack of trying.

Edited by CaribbeanGreen

He'll get credit the same way the Bob Stoopses, Mack Browns, Steve Spurriers, etc. of the world get credit. Each of those coaches - indeed, most these days - give vast control of their teams to the coordinators. In the cases of Stoops and Spurriers, they only focus on one side of the ball and the coordinators have free reign of the other side.

It's the 21st Century way to coach at the most competitive level - and, I'll gladly give Dodge credit for embracing it. It will assure that he stays at this level and perhaps jumps to the NFL someday.

The defense, in its third year under Deloach and second with Nelson, will be staunch. I'm guessing we'll see another 10-12 point reduction in points against.

We'll be the 2010 Sun Belt Champs.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

What SHOULD happen?? If we turn the thing around to a generally satisfactory level, everyone will be happy with just about everything. Everyone stays, criticism is muted, and high fives all around. If we don't, they're all history, and we treat this era like the shockingly similar Trilli era as far as history goes. We start worrying about the next guy exclusively and that dominates discussion. Sure, we could analyze HOWs and WHYs all night, but this the gist of it. Being in an "ultimatum year", there won't be much need for it.

As far as what "credit" Dodge gets if we do turn it around? I think people might concede he's a decent recruiter (because a turnaround implies results), and some are enamored with him as the "face of the program"... but I don't think success this year does much for his reputation as an in game coach because of all the new hires. That said, my biggest positive reaction towards Dodge, win or lose, is that he was finally willing to check his ego at the door and make wholesale changes to his staff, philosophy, and "football plan" rather than go down with the dramatically failing ship. I'll give him that no matter what happens. If we fall flat again this year, it's not for lack of trying.

I agree with your sentiment. I like Dodge as a guy. I like that he values the guys more as men than as football players. I hope that one day we're fretting about some SEC school interviewing Dodge like we are about JJ (so glad he's still here!). If Dodge cant get it done this year, it's time for him to go. But I really want him to succeed.

I hope Coach Canales can help Dodge in being successful, and if he is, I hope he sticks around.

I love D-Lo's history here. I don't want his legacy tarnished by his last 3 years here.

But, if they can't get it done this season, I'd like to see the entire staff turned over. This is an ultimatum year. No excuses for anyone! Win, or go home.

• Upvote 2