Startlegram: "north Texas Doesn't Deserve A Good Basketball Pr

.....at least that's what it seems the message is here in this article.

DENTON -- Johnny Jones should be gone. He deserves it.

What he has done in his tenure as men's basketball coach at North Texas has been largely ignored, but it's deserving of an opportunity to coach in a higher profile conference.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/03/16/2045432/johnny-jones-has-turned-north.html#ixzz0iURTvK47

Jesus H!!! First that asshole on channel 8 asking JJ when is he going to leave for a bigger program, now this? It mentions in the article one of the factors why we have won 20 games a year for 4 years in a row: Our schedule. Then seems to hint he's too good for us? Maybe I'm reading this wrong but is North Texas not allowed to have a good basketball program, and when we do we shouldn't expect it?

F------- Amazing!!!!

Rick

• Downvote 3

It's called criticism, Rick. Some of it's deserved. We didn't sweep through our conference. We have a low RPI. Knowing what I know about JJ, it's why I hope he sticks around another year. We are poised to have very good recruits and a MONSTER year next year. Things are finally green on our side of the fence.

It's called criticism, Rick. Some of it's deserved. We didn't sweep through our conference. We have a low RPI. Knowing what I know about JJ, it's why I hope he sticks around another year. We are poised to have very good recruits and a MONSTER year next year. Things are finally green on our side of the fence.

Every 6"11/7" beast in a 200 mile radius should be dying to sign with the Green now that Tramster is graduating.

Considering how many games we've won the last few years, our attendance is rather lousy. We talked about this very article earlier today, but I think he probably stays thru next year at least(unless some Power league school throws a ton of money at him). After next year, I could see him leaving if he doesn't wanna rebuild. We're losing 8 players next year...that's gonna be a helluva reclamation project.

I understand it's criticism but I don't understand the point the guy is making, and why make it now? Why not after the tourney? Why can't NT enjoy it for now? Why trash the program now? This is twice this week, the first was on Monday I believe, in which within days of the bid the media instantly brings up him leaving? I mean, not 28 hours after the bid show the dude on Channel 8 asked JJ about him deserving to go to a bigger program? WTF?????? I've never seen that before? Did they do that with Donna Capps at UTA, or with the TCU women's current coach?

But then, the above article points out the issue about our schedule and hints that it's been an easy one. So if it's so easy to be where we are now then why is it a given that he instantly deserves to go to a bigger program where it would be tougher on him?

It's just a strange article to me.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

When coaches are successful at programs like ours, that kinda thing can happen. WKU couldn't even completely enjoy their Sweet 16 run acouple of years ago because as soon as Ty Roger's shot went thru there was speculation that Horn would leave. That was before they beat San Diego, and way before they scared the crap out of UCLA.

.....at least that's what it seems the message is here in this article.

DENTON -- Johnny Jones should be gone. He deserves it.

What he has done in his tenure as men's basketball coach at North Texas has been largely ignored, but it's deserving of an opportunity to coach in a higher profile conference.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/03/16/2045432/johnny-jones-has-turned-north.html#ixzz0iURTvK47

Jesus H!!! First that asshole on channel 8 asking JJ when is he going to leave for a bigger program, now this? It mentions in the article one of the factors why we have won 20 games a year for 4 years in a row: Our schedule. Then seems to hint he's too good for us? Maybe I'm reading this wrong but is North Texas not allowed to have a good basketball program, and when we do we shouldn't expect it?

F------- Amazing!!!!

Rick

Insecure people just have to have a whippin boy to make themselves feel better about themselves. Just a fact of life when you are up on the northern part of the Metroplex triangle. Only way to counteract that is with Dub e u's.

Look, it is a compliment to our program that JJ is being mentioned for bigger jobs. This is exatly what we need. It's publicity, people, which is a VERY good thing. Johnny is going nowhere without a win or a very close game tomorrow. Mark it. Now, next year, that may change.

Any publicity is good pubicity. What people will take away from this is that UNT has the best Basketball program in the metroplex.

Chill out, Folks.

• Upvote 1

Every 6"11/7" beast in a 200 mile radius should be dying to sign with the Green now that Tramster is graduating.

perhaps jj can get someone taller than six or seven inches as you indicated. :lol: i think you ment 6'11" not 6". it was pretty funny the way you had it written but i think we all knew what you ment.

When coaches are successful at programs like ours, that kinda thing can happen. WKU couldn't even completely enjoy their Sweet 16 run acouple of years ago because as soon as Ty Roger's shot went thru there was speculation that Horn would leave. That was before they beat San Diego, and way before they scared the crap out of UCLA.

John Pelphry was taking calls for jobs before he coached South Alabama in their tourney game a few years back. It is simply the nature of the beast, and Rick I wouldn't take it as a sign of disrespect.

To be honest, I thought it was a pretty positive article. It did mention the MG as the best basketball program in the metroplex, and the take on JJ was right on. It's what happens when you win.

Also--the ST has also been critical of the TCU BB program in the past month, so I don't think it's limited to UNT. Again, I thought the article was pretty good.