Fw*telegram Bb Article Johnny Jones Has Turned Nt Into

OldTimer

I remember well prior to the 2007 SBC tournament win quite a few folks calling for JJ's head. He really hadn't fulfilled the promise of that 1st turnaround season and was kinda known for flaming out in February/March so it's hard to blame them. What he has managed to do here is really something else.

I hope he doesn't leave after this year. I'd really like to see him at least ride this fabulous Junior class he built up for one last campaign. If he should manage back to back NCAA's and 3 in 5 years, with few returning players, who could blame him for leaving then?

I really don't see much to get "excited" about in that article...in fact, I tend to see it as "good press" for UNT. The fact is, UNT was a "bad" program for several years before JJ arrived, and he (and his staff) has done a great job of turning the program around. He can't do much about playing in the Sun Belt, but what he can do he has done or is doing to improve the program. That's really what that article is all about. The fact that some "higher profile" school may "come calling" would be absolutely no surprise to anyone. In fact, many on this board have said things like, "I know JJ will be gone soon enough for a bigger school, but as long as he leaves UNT in good shape, well...good for him". I, for one, am not certain he will be leaving anytime soon, but you just never know in his chosen profession.

But, as the article points out, JJ has built the best basketball program in the Metroplex out of a once very "down" program. The results this season will do nothing but help recruiting and help to continue the success.

Now, if UNT can only start attracting bigger game day crowds.....JJ and his program have EARNED the right to see bigger crowds. If anything could "hasten JJ's departure" it might be the fact that his efforts seem "under-appreciated" by the fan base. The fan base CAN do something about that to help keep JJ at "home" with the Mean Green.

GO MEAN GREEN...BEAT K ST.

• Upvote 1

I really don't see much to get "excited" about in that article...in fact, I tend to see it as "good press" for UNT. The fact is, UNT was a "bad" program for several years before JJ arrived, and he (and his staff) has done a great job of turning the program around. He can't do much about playing in the Sun Belt, but what he can do he has done or is doing to improve the program. That's really what that article is all about. The fact that some "higher profile" school may "come calling" would be absolutely no surprise to anyone. In fact, many on this board have said things like, "I know JJ will be gone soon enough for a bigger school, but as long as he leaves UNT in good shape, well...good for him". I, for one, am not certain he will be leaving anytime soon, but you just never know in his chosen profession.

But, as the article points out, JJ has built the best basketball program in the Metroplex out of a once very "down" program. The results this season will do nothing but help recruiting and help to continue the success.

Now, if UNT can only start attracting bigger game day crowds.....JJ and his program have EARNED the right to see bigger crowds. If anything could "hasten JJ's departure" it might be the fact that his efforts seem "under-appreciated" by the fan base. The fan base CAN do something about that to help keep JJ at "home" with the Mean Green.

GO MEAN GREEN...BEAT K ST.

same thing happened to Fry back in the 70s, too. attendance just killed us back then, too

JJ can build a dynasty here.

There is no BCS AQ system in basketball, that creates a have - have not caste system. Plenty of "mid-majors" have risen to become real contenders precisely because of that. With SMU and TCU down, the other two "major" schools in the mind of the average DFW sports fan down at the moment, a single great singing could take this program to the next level.

ETA: Unfortunately the team will have to win on a consistent basis for the fans to show up, but they can be swayed, everyone loves a winner.

JJ can build a dynasty here.

There is no BCS AQ system in basketball, that creates a have - have not caste system. Plenty of "mid-majors" have risen to become real contenders precisely because of that. With SMU and TCU down, the other two "major" schools in the mind of the average DFW sports fan down at the moment, a single great singing could take this program to the next level.

ETA: Unfortunately the team will have to win on a consistent basis for the fans to show up, but they can be swayed, everyone loves a winner.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

The crowds have gotten bigger, though. Yes, we did have that span during Christmas break where attendance wasn't as high. The final game at the Pit this year had 4,377 people. When I started going to games in 2003, the average game had about 1200-1500 people. The only times I can remember it getting above 3,000, it was for TCU and Indiana.

As the program continues to build, more and more will continue to show up.

Maybe it's time for the athletic department to break a sweat and start doing some serious work promoting basketball. Higher profile opponents at home and halftimes that feature more than little dribblers would help a lot.

To summarize (the writer's slant not mine),

Johnny Jones is a really good coach.

North Texas is a mediocre school.

Johnny Jones will leave when a "real" school calls.

Gee, sure wish a few more of those who set aside entire Saturdays could be bothered to make it to the pit.

I agree with you about the tone of the author but I think that JJ and RV did a good job of diffusing that idea, at least a little bit.

"I get that all the time," Jones said. "I've been here nine years, so that should speak for itself."

It's the same situation countless other coaches battle with: leave for more money, more pressure, more this and more that? Or stay where you are treated well and enjoy what you've built?

"You never say never," he said. "But I'm really excited about what we've been able to accomplish and what we're building here."

"He can be comfortable here as long as he wants to, and we want to make this more than just a job," Villarreal said. "There is something about being at a place where you are the all-time winningest coach. But I'm not crazy. Are people looking at him? Yes. That's the reality.

This season actually took a dip in attendance tho. We drew over 3K the last two years. I'd say last year, with no real marquee home game, was our best season as far as that goes in JJ's tenure. I mean 2007/08 had the Oklahoma State game so that kinda throws that average out of whack.