My Two Cents

There has been a lot said amongst the Mean Green Nation that we are getting no respect in regards to a potential upset vs. K-State and that we got screwed in not getting a 14 seed. One, even if we did get a 14 seed, we would still be fighting a tough battle. We would still be playing the likes of a Georgetown, Baylor, New Mexico, or Pitt. And lets be honest, any of those three teams are still greatly more talented and deep than us (albeit not as much as K-State). Two, we must be realistic at our chances of beating K-State. Once again, lets be honest and admit they are more talented than us. I'm not saying we can't beat them. That's why you play the game and crazier things have happened. It's not like a #15 seed has never won over a #2. We are going to have play flawlessly and have a few things bounce our way to have a shot. And I am very confident that we can push K-State to the limit and there is no doubt in my mind we will play our hearts out.

The real point I'm trying to make here is this. Programs like North Texas don't have the luxury to play in the best conferences and therefore are a big disadvantage in regards to recruiting. We don't play top 25 talent day in and day out and the Sun Belt gets hardly any TV coverage. Programs like North Texas don't just wake up one day and find that they are nationally competitive. Programs like North Texas must gain respect over time in order to build their program into a nationally respected one. Johnny Jones has done an outstanding job at laying the foundation towards long term success. I repeat, Johnny Jones has done an outstanding job with this program. Now, we must parlay this success into further success. All we can ask for is a chance, which have gotten my making it to the dance. You gain national respect by being competitive in moments such as this and maybe, just maybe pulling off an epic upset. But even if we don't win, if we can remain competitive in the game, then people will look at UNT basketball in a different light. And we must take this opportunity to get even better down the road. And with that, I'm very confident in the Mean Green.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Our last trip at this stage, we went toe to toe with Memphis for 3/4 of the game. This is a better team(although a worse matchup for us IMHO). I think we can do the same this time - these kids are winners. Johnny Jones is quickly moving up the ranks of all-time coaches at NT in any sport. Twenty wins in the previous 4 years combined prior to his arrival made into a perenial contender for the belt and two NCAA trips. If he keeps this going - we'll be building a statue of him outside the SuperPit.

• Upvote 1

We already have a prize just by making the Tourney. Winning would be great but Respect is now what we want to achieve.

It's an opportunity for our program to be seen. Play competitive and keep it close and we could steal National TV coverage from other games that might become blowouts at the same time as ours.

Mean Green basketball being broadcast in the breakrooms of all work places and restaurants around the country!

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 2

+1

We already have a prize just by making the Tourney. Winning would be great but Respect is now what we want to achieve.

It's an opportunity for our program to be seen. Play competitive and keep it close and we could steal National TV coverage from other games that might become blowouts at the same time as ours.

Mean Green basketball being broadcast in the breakrooms of all work places and restaurants around the country!