Launchpad

NM Green

You know when we went dancing in 2007 it was a nice surprise to many, even some Mean Green faithful. However, building a program that has now won 2 tournament championships in 3 years is a statement. UNT has the ability to become a force in bball and the Superpit could fill up and rock next season. Now is the time to enjoy this moment and national recognition, and beginning in April we need to push our phenomenal team and accomplishment to build the fanbase to a strong level! I watch a lot of Mountain West basketball and what I saw from the Mean Green on Tuesday was special. Our team can compete with some bigger boys and we could make the Superpit a house of horror for visitors like the Pit in Albuquerque is or the Marriott Center or the Thomas & Mack. Talk about exciting times!

Also beating Troy was sweet because we definitely need to compete with the Trojans in the Belt. We already have a nice rivalry with MTSU and WKU but Troy has become a bit of the BYU of the Belt - solid across the board, nationally recognized, perennial post season participants. We wrestled some of that mojo from the Trojans on Tuesday and we need to begin to plant our presence all over the Belt again.

I reflect back at this Decade of Excellence and smile:

Four Bowl Games

1 Bowl Win

2 NCAA Big Dance appearances

All over the past 10 years - that is a nice body of work for any institution! So proud to be Mean Green! Excited about the future!

GMG

• Upvote 1

They have a couple of D1 transfers sitting out to help ease the blow, but their arrow certainly isn't pointing up.

Seems like the Trojans were "all in" this season. Next year they'll be shooting for just the tip.

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Next year should be out best team ever and I expect Sun Belt dominance and a record good enough to get an at-large bid if we somehow did not win our conference....

Georgia Tech, Arizona State, Washington, Florida, Mississippi, and Mississippi State all have 20+ wins and may not make an at-large bid this year.

UAB, San Diego State, and Memphis have 23 wins, and they're all arguably likelier than not to be left out of the tournament.

Expecting an at-large bid is not realistic. We could have our greatest season ever and still be left out. Especially if the rest of the Sun Belt doesn't do well in OOC (like this year) and we have a poor conference RPI.

My expectations/hopes for next year based on what we already know about our schedule are to go 12-4 or better in conference, and to win at least one of the games we'll have against Texas Tech and LSU.

• Upvote 1

and to win at least one of the games we'll have against Texas Tech and LSU.

That's a BOLD prediction... You really believe that or are you still hung over from drinking the green cool aid. When you answer this, please be sure to share your reasoning. :huh:

- edit - using hypothetical future recruits is against the rules. :lol:

Edited by Stan R

That's a BOLD prediction... You really believe that or are you still hung over from drinking the green cool aid. When you answer this, please be sure to share your reasoning. :huh:

- edit - using hypothetical future recruits is against the rules. :lol:

LSU was 11-20.

Texas Tech was barely over .500

We should have a decent shot in both games.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

LSU was 11-20.

Texas Tech was barely over .500

We should have a decent shot in both games.

Plus- Texas Tech is at the Super Pit, early in November (before they get a chance to roll in any of their new guys completely). And LSU is probably Johnny's dream job, and he'll be as motivated to win that game (and the return game at the Pit in 2011) as he's ever been to beat anyone.

Prediction of a sellout for the Tech home game? That will be interesting... wow.

LSU at the pit might be even more crazy... I will buy tickets in advance for both of these guys. Have a feeling they might jack up the prices for these two.

Edited by Stan R

Not saying immediately... Just somewhere down the line.

I know you're not, but LSU is fresh off a terrible season...one where it really looked like the team quit on their coach going 3-18 after starting 8-2.

On the other side, here is an LSU alum with 10 years head coaching experience who has rebuilt a terrible basketball program and now has them in the dance for the second time in 4 years.

If there were a perfect storm...it may be now.

My expectations/hopes for next year based on what we already know about our schedule are to go 12-4 or better in conference, and to win at least one of the games we'll have against Texas Tech and LSU.

I thought we had Tech next year and LSU the year after (or maybe vise-versa), no?

I thought we had Tech next year and LSU the year after (or maybe vise-versa), no?

We have both, both years.

Next year, we play Tech at home in November (I think the 17th) and at LSU on December 22nd or 23rd.

The season after that, we play at Tech and have LSU at home.