Sorry I Couldn't Resist

emmitt01

ff

At the risk of offending Lee Jackson this is what I posted on SMU's board:

"I know, I know, it's tough to see your local paper the DMN (though I'll concede that Jean Jacque Taylor is a tool) pring stories about how far down the food chain you guys are in basketball...and then have to watch NT punch a ticket to the NCAA tournament on national TV. I know it makes you feel better to use the tired Baylor argument of "we play in a vastly better conference therefore we're cool by association." Sorry folks, it didn't work when you were in high school and it aint gonna work now. I know it's easy to say "North Texas (I'll even throw in the word "State" cuz it gets so much traction for comedy's sake around here) could never survive in the big bad CUSA and that the Sun Belt, minus Western Kentucky, is a horrendously poor league of wannabes. Still, just for the sake of my own sense of humor, let's do a little comparison shall we? This is how the current RPI rankings view things...thought I'd use their point of view since they don't have a dog in the fight (actually, let's be honest, it's been a loooong while since SMU basketball has had a dog in any fight).

UTEP- 39

UAB- 40

Memphis- 46

Marshall- 62

Tulsa- 71

North Texas- 99

Troy- 109

Southern Miss- 119

Western Kentucky- 133

Houston- 160

Denver- 164

Middle Tennessee- 183

TCU- 189

UCF- 190

Arkansas State- 202

SMU- 210

East Carolina- 227

Tulane- 280

Rice- 311

CUSA teams with a higher RPI than NT: 5

CUSA teams with a lower RPI than NT: 7

“Middle of the pack” might just be an accurate assessment.

Sunbelt teams with a higher RPI than SMU: 6

Basically, you’d have a harder time being in the “middle of the pack” in the belt than we would in your all-mighty CUSA. Ouch.

Wins by SMU in 2010 against teams with a higher RPI than NT: 0

Wins by NT in 2010 against teams with a higher RPI than SMU: 5

But let’s be honest, here’s the only stat that matters to metroplex fans (neither of us are exactly nationally relevant).

NCAA appearances in recent memory, NT: 2….SMU: 0

Hey, football season is just around the corner folks."

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1