Expansion To 96

UNTflyer

I was totally against this, until....

I heard today that the proposal would guarantee a first round bye for schools that win their regular season AND tournament championship. I also heard that if the two champions were different teams (like Troy and UNT) that both would be guaranteed a spot in the tournament. Also, the number of at-large teams would remain the same, so this would not be a plan to get more of the big conference schools into the tournament. It sounds to me that more mid major schools would get in.

Thoughts?

With only 64 teams making it each year , it makes it all the more meaningful when you do get to go IMO

It would seem to dilute the tourney with almost 30% of all DI teams getting in if it went to 96 teams

Edited by NT03

It sounds to me like that's the idea they're floating to try and get everyone on board, but somehow I doubt they're gonna give a bye to a school from the SWAC if they win both their regular season and conference tournaments.

If that is the rule, it's the rule. And consider this. If they implemented the format this year, and since we are assuming UNT is getting a 14 or 15 seed... then they would enter the tournament as let's say the 60th seed. They would play a lower seeded team (69) before facing the #5 seed in the second round. This gives the mid majors a real chance of notching tournament wins under their belts and that means more money.

Plus, if they expanded to 96 and eliminated the NIT it would make the regular season more meaningful because the regular season conference champions automatically will go to the tournament.

And finally, this will generate more money. More money is good for every body. And really the people who are screaming the loudest about this proposal are the big conferences.

With only 64 teams making it each year , it makes it all the more meaningful when you do get to go IMO

It would seem to dilute the tourney with almost 30% of all DI teams getting in if it went to 96 teams

I like the idea of getting the regular season champs into the tournament

PLUS... let's say UNT won the regular season and the tournament championship and the rule is that any team that achieves this gets a first round bye.

And, let's assume UNT achieved this. The worst they could get is a #32 seed, which translates into a #8 seed in a regional bracket. Their first game would be in the second round against the winner of the 33 seed and the 96 seed.

The more I read about this, the more I like it.

I think so. Basically the NIT would be folded into the big tournament.

Then I'm on board.

Just as long as it doesn't get so big that even a team like smu could get in

BTW, it was nice to finally meet then man behind the screen name wink.gif Let's do it again next year !!

It sounds to me like that's the idea they're floating to try and get everyone on board, but somehow I doubt they're gonna give a bye to a school from the SWAC if they win both their regular season and conference tournaments.

I would definately have to agree with you....I would have to see that rule on paper and with no loopholes before I buy that one. I doubt very seriously they would give a bye to a SWAC team when isn't it their conference today that plays every year in the "play in" game?

I like the idea of getting the regular season champs into the tournament

I like this too, but if the Sun Belt or any other conference wanted that, they could....they are not locked into conference tourneys are they? I have never understood, nor will I until Tasty comes up with some numbers that proves this wrong, why conferences like the Sun Belt or Southland use their automatic bid to be the conference tourney winner as opposed to the team who played the best throughout the whole season.

Not a big fan of expanding to 96. Waters it down way too far. Let's just let everyone play and get a trophy at the end sort of thing.

It's not like they are giving out extra trophies, and it is not like they are going to expand to let bad teams play. This is really to add the regular season champions into the mix.

It's not like they are giving out extra trophies, and it is not like they are going to expand to let bad teams play. This is really to add the regular season champions into the mix.

There are 34 d1 basketball conferences. I wonder how many regular season champs win their conference tournaments? I love the idea of giving regular season champs an auto bid. The regular season picks up a whole new meaning that way!

• Upvote 1

I like this too, but if the Sun Belt or any other conference wanted that, they could....they are not locked into conference tourneys are they? I have never understood, nor will I until Tasty comes up with some numbers that proves this wrong, why conferences like the Sun Belt or Southland use their automatic bid to be the conference tourney winner as opposed to the team who played the best throughout the whole season.

I would hate to see conferences get rid of their tournaments. One of the things that makes college basketball so great is that any team, granted they make their conference tournament, can get on a roll and have a chance to go dancing. Also they allow for the teams in mid-majors to experience the thrill of going through a tournament. Chances are our team wont make it out of the first round, but our kids got to experience the high of banding together for three amazing games with something on the line.

This sort of proposal lends itself more to a BCS type situation where the rationale for no playoffs is that "every game is a playoff game." Losses and slip ups happen, watching the best teams from a conference fight for their NCAA tournament lives at the end of the year provides much more exciting viewing.

Also remember the outrage when we got screwed out of the 1 seed? Imagine that x10000000 if we got shafted from a trip to best playoff system in all of sports on the line. No thank you I'll take things how they are.

Edited by MEANGREENMAN!