Lj's Future Of Unt And The Impact On The Football Program

BIG DAWG

For the purpose of this post...lets say that Lee Jackson does want to make the Dallas campus a heavy player...challenging the Denton campus as the flagship?

I honestly want to know what effect that has on the Denton campus. What are the ramifications?

Does this kill sports? Hold us back in athletics? My impressions are that they would never have athletics.

I am not trying to be a pot stirrer, just honest questions that I do not know the answers to, and I am hoping someone does.

I am pretty much in the dark concerning all of this UNT-Dallas v. UNT-Denton talk.

• Upvote 1

For the purpose of this post...lets say that Lee Jackson does want to make the Dallas campus a heavy player...challenging the Denton campus as the flagship?

This will never happen. I'll be surprised if UNT-Dallas is still a full-time university in 20 years. It appears to me that UNTD is just a money pit in a very bad location that is struggling to attract few students.

This will never happen. I'll be surprised if UNT-Dallas is still a full-time university in 20 years. It appears to me that UNTD is just a money pit in a very bad location that is struggling to attract few students.

I will bet on that, UNT-Dallas will be not only here but could be thriving. I also would guess that they will at least have a basketball program by that time.

I will bet on that, UNT-Dallas will be not only here but could be thriving. I also would guess that they will at least have a basketball program by that time.

I think that is in their plans; as I recall, they're planning to play D2 basketball at some point. The Jaguars?

As far as the bad area, I can remember when some areas of Dallas where pricey real estate is located were "bad areas". UNT can work as a university system. I think the real questions are: 1.) Does the UNT System have the best possible leadership at this time? 2.) If so, what would be an appropriate level of support from any of us? 3.) If not, what can be done to change the leadership?

Here's a question that came to me today: if Gretchen Bataille got a negative evaluation on research funding, what were the funding levels like before and after she was President?

Edited by eulessismore

I don't know about the future of UNT-D, nor do I much care. As far as advice on where alumni support should lie, well I think it's fairly obvious: UNT Denton.

If you need precedent just look at the UT system. UT-Austin people don't give a crap about UT-Arlington or UT-San Antonio.

About it being the flagship: there is some benefit to having a flagship university in a major city, so that would be cool if they decided that. But UNT is Denton, and holds a lot more sway here than it ever would in Dallas.

So there ya go. My 5 cents (inflation you know)

• Upvote 2

I will chime in with my opinion even though I don't know all the pro's and con's of being or not being a system. It seems we (NT-Denton) struggle to pay our coaches minimum wage, have a hard time properly funding all sports, have a high student to teacher ratio, small endowment, unorganized, weak leadership at the chancelor position etc. etc. etc. All that said, do we have the funds, leadership, dedication, to be a system with the various campuses? I've heard the law school isn't opening on time due to lack of funds, the Dallas campus had to get some type of extension because it didn't have enough students by a certain date and we have a chancelor and BOR that ran off the best possibility that NT had of moving up in the tier system in a very long time. I am a proud alum of my alma mater and proudly wear my NT polo to work every Friday during football season and I usually take a good natured ribbing Monday morning but I always stand up and positively defend my school. However, it is getting harder and harder to hear all the negative crap about some of the assinine decisions NT management makes and come back with a well thought out and accurate rebuttal. I am getting to the point that I agree with what most people say about us. I really wish we could pack up and completely move campus 100 miles away to a place where the community appreciates us, the students go to NT as a first choice, not as a last resort, people are proud, not embarrassed to wear Mean Green merchandise, and the sun shines on campus every single day. Okay, no more double shots of espresso on an empty stomach, makes me chatty!!

Last thing, even though it's a beating to be a Mean Green fan sometimes, I am taking off work a little early to get my 2 sons, head to campus to get us all new NT shirts ( hopefully in the correct shade of green and current logo, any suggestions on best place to go?) then heading to The SuperPit to watch a good old fashioned Ragin Cajun ass whipping.

Go Mean Green

Edited by GreenMachine

I will chime in with my opinion even though I don't know all the pro's and con's of being or not being a system. It seems we (NT-Denton) struggle to pay our coaches minimum wage, have a hard time properly funding all sports, have a high student to teacher ratio, small endowment, unorganized, weak leadership at the chancelor position etc. etc. etc. All that said, do we have the funds, leadership, dedication, to be a system with the various campuses? I've heard the law school isn't opening on time due to lack of funds, the Dallas campus had to get some type of extension because it didn't have enough students by a certain date and we have a chancelor and BOR that ran off the best possibility that NT had of moving up in the tier system in a very long time. I am a proud alum of my alma mater and proudly wear my NT polo to work every Friday during football season and I usually take a good natured ribbing Monday morning but I always stand up and positively defend my school. However, it is getting harder and harder to hear all the negative crap about some of the assinine decisions NT management makes and come back with a well thought out and accurate rebuttal. I am getting to the point that I agree with what most people say about us. I really wish we could pack up and completely move campus 100 miles away to a place where the community appreciates us, the students go to NT as a first choice, not as a last resort, people are proud, not embarrassed to wear Mean Green merchandise, and the sun shines on campus every single day. Okay, no more double shots of espresso on an empty stomach, makes me chatty!!

Last thing, even though it's a beating to be a Mean Green fan sometimes, I am taking off work a little early to get my 2 sons, head to campus to get us all new NT shirts ( hopefully in the correct shade of green and current logo, any suggestions on best place to go?) then heading to The SuperPit to watch a good old fashioned Ragin Cajun ass whipping.

Go Mean Green

Totally agree that for decades Denton has never appreciated what it has in UNT, and now the city sobs as it reaps what it has sewn. The students as well leave with a Neiman-Marcus education at a Walmart price but never look back at who got them to where they are in their careers either during their time as students on campus or later as alums and just become sad wannabes of the "big time" programs. I think tonights BB attendance by students will say a lot about the character of the student body and support from the city of Denton. The Super Pit should be packed, but sadly I'll predict 1,500 students and 2,500 "Old Folks" for a total of 4K---pathetic for the season that this team has shown us!!!