The Good Ole Days

Marty

These old yearbooks make for some fascinating reading. For those of you that were in school during the late '60's, that must have been a fun time. Does a tape exist of the NT-Arkansas game of 1968? Reading this article makes it sound like a helluva game. If not before my time, I would have loved to have been there.

http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth61038/m1/297/

No, we lost a close one 15-17. I made the trip up to LR with my wife and a friend. We were sitting on about the 5 yard line and saw the North Texas fumble at the 1-yard line that ended one of our offensive drives. Nevertheless, the Razorback fans were very quiet after the game. They knew they were lucky to have won.

By the way, I didn't realize at the time that Deep Green was at the game, but of course, see him at the games often now.

Yep. One of the best road trips I went on as a student and a game I'll never forget. So close......

A few game photos that I've posted before.

UNT-Ark23.jpg

UNT-Ark2.jpg

UNT-Ark1.jpg

WOW! Great photos! Correct me if I'm wrong Deep, but I believe that the middle photo is Steve Ramsey dumping the ball off to Leo Taylor (#21)....our first 1K rusher.

BTW, does anyone know who #88 is?

Edited by SilverEagle

WOW! Great photos! Correct me if I'm wrong Deep, but I believe that the middle photo is Steve Ramsey dumping the ball off to Leo Taylor (#21)....our first ever 1K rusher.

BTW, does anyone know who #88 is?

According to the official program (which I still have in the attic), 88 was Wayne Wilkins (LDE). 71, making the tackle was Wes Ballou (we sat next to his parents). Leo Taylor was 21, Ron Shanklin 31 and Steve Ramsey was #17. Our starting defensive line was Wlkins, Greene, Gill, Ballou and Atchley. We had Williams, Glen Holloway, Mike Marr, Robert Fisher and Jim Brewster in the starting offensive line. Our receivers were Shanklin and Barry Moore. TE was Bob Helterbran.

No, it's not a dead horse. The lack of respect for our

past or those who lived and witnessed it is live and well I assure you.

Rick

Rick, you're probably the most recognizable supporter of UNT athletics period. The respect for you is there my friend. You've been on the block much longer than I have (BA '05), so you know the history first hand. To me it's history, and I really appreciate history. For me, Patrick Cobbs is the best RB I've seen here at UNT. Brandon Kennedy is the best D-Lineman I have seen at UNT. My appreciation of history tells me that maybe Abner Haynes is the best RB ever, and Joe Greene is the best D-Lineman ever. That doesn't diminish my thoughts of Cobbs & Booger. It's not a lack of respect by any means... I just didn't see those guys. I'm sure other 'youngbloods' are the same as me. We love the guys that we saw play!

• Upvote 4

Myself and other oldtimers kept telling you guys that the name "Mean Green" came from the great defenses of the mid '60's. The "Mean Green Defense".

Now, can we weld that into everyone's brain? <_<

Has it been the young'ns debating that, or the media guys who swoop through here, write a shallow story or two with factual errors before or after the season and then vanish again?