A Sad Day

Harry

Coach George, who many think of as being part of the high school staff that came on board with Dodge was actually an ex-letterman and good wide receiver for UNT. I believe he played back in the Parker era when Dodge was an assistant. George landed our star running back Lance Dunbar and deserves some credit for it. He was Dodge's right hand guy, like a brother. This has to be hard news for Dodge to take.

Can't help but think how this would feel so much better to all involved if he was leaving for a job at a bigger college program with Dodge's blessing.

I appreciate his efforts here and wish him well at Southlake. For those that didn't know him here's a link to his bio.

http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=1800&ATCLID=746310

Does anyone else think that the 2 coaches leaving was more of a mutual decision?

I think there is little doubt that it was anything but a mutual agreement, these jobs and the interview process did not happen over night.

• Upvote 1

I think there is little doubt that it was anything but a mutual agreement, these jobs and the interview process did not happen over night.

The 2 coaches that left, were also the 2 coaches that were rumored to be fired earlier in the season. I think it may have been a "Hey I don't want to fire you so maybe you should look at some other options"

Are we in T-Ball now were everyone gets a trophy so nobody's feelings get hurt ? This is BIG TIME COLLEGE FOOTBALL. Coaches get fired all the time , it's part of the job. Good coaches get fired , bad coaches get fired it's just the way of life. This is a profession that takes thick skin, there is no shame in getting fired.

If these guys were really fired months ago , but the school/dodge/rv didn't want to announce it because feelings might get hurt then this University is in more trouble than I thought.

On the flip side , if they weren't told to look for other jobs , but did anyway it just shows the confidence they have in Dodge turning this thing around.

Now we will have 2 coaches who are already behind. Coaches learning players and players learning coaches. Who knows maybe if we brought in 2 coaches earlier in the process they could have made a bigger impact on recruiting

Either way it's a bad reflection if you ask me

Do we have tutors assigned to our football players ? I know most colleges do and I know Dickey had tutors for certain players... I just don't see how the Cole situation could be so bad unless he just really didn't care

A All around POS day for the MeanGreen

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Are we in T-Ball now were everyone gets a trophy so nobody's feelings get hurt ? This is BIG TIME COLLEGE FOOTBALL. Coaches get fired all the time , it's part of the job. Good coaches get fired , bad coaches get fired it's just the way of life. This is a profession that takes thick skin, there is no shame in getting fired.

If these guys were really fired months ago , but the school/dodge/rv didn't want to announce it because feelings might get hurt then this University is in more trouble than I thought.

On the flip side , if they weren't told to look for other jobs , but did anyway it just shows the confidence they have in Dodge turning this thing around.

Do we have tutors assigned to our football players ? I know most colleges do and I know Dickey had tutors for certain players... I just don't see how the Cole situation could be so bad unless he just really didn't care

I don't see this as a bad thing if we asked these coaches for their resignations and agreed to give them time to find a job. This happens in the business world all the time. I figure it gives the released coaches a bit more bargaining room when looking for a new job if they are still officially employed. Especially when negotiating salary. Again I am fine with it and I can't see that this tactic reflects any weakness on Dodge or UNT.

Plus it fits what I was hearing back in November, I even speculated after the announcement that "Dodge and all the assistant coaches would be retained" that this course of events maybe in the works.

But for about two weeks in December my blood pressure would have been much better if we knew about the release a head of time.

• Upvote 1

On the flip side , if they weren't told to look for other jobs , but did anyway it just shows the (lack of) confidence they have in Dodge turning this thing around.

Very Bad week with Dr. Bataille resigning too.

It would be interesting to know if these former coaches were forced out or pursued these new positions themselves for more job security. There must be a lot of internal pressure on the program right now.

I don't mind George leaving. I wish him the best, and hope he sends us some good recruits. My problem is the timeing. We got about a month until spring practice. Thats not much time to get a WR coach, and then get him up to speed with this program.

If they knew this was going down, I hope they already have our next WR coach, are planning his press conference, and have him brushing up on our team in a film room.

It would be interesting to know if these former coaches were forced out or pursued these new positions themselves for more job security. There must be a lot of internal pressure on the program right now.

Do you really wonder? I have no doubt they were forced out and I don't think it could be more obvious without being announced. Plus in my industry this is pretty much how most departures are handled unless the person in question is just a complete disaster.

• Upvote 1

I don't mind George leaving. I wish him the best, and hope he sends us some good recruits. My problem is the timeing. We got about a month until spring practice. Thats not much time to get a WR coach, and then get him up to speed with this program.

If they knew this was going down, I hope they already have our next WR coach, are planning his press conference, and have him brushing up on our team in a film room.

I think you are right about them already having a WR coach in the works, and I imagine it will work out fine.

I am psyched out and I think the 7 wins is more and more likely. If Dodge does make it, RV will get one hell of a Cinderella story out of it.

Do you really wonder? I have no doubt they were forced out and I don't think it could be more obvious without being announced. Plus in my industry this is pretty much how most departures are handled unless the person in question is just a complete disaster.

The timing for coaching changes is critical this part of the year with recruiting, signing date, and spring ball. Which of those do you want a new coach involved in vs. a lame duck coach not involved in?

It is a lot of flux with coaches and players coming and going right now. We need some stability before this all important season is upon us.

Now Dodge has the type of coaching staff he should have begin with initially. I think the Dodge experiment really demonstrates why there are not more high school coaches that make the jump directly into FB Division football. The coaches may have been truly great at the lower level but the skills required at the college level are not only different but the competition is much more intense.

Not to say what the reason is..... but our WRs who are not blazers run bad routes! They seem to act like every catch was a TD. They don't fight for the ball or go up and get it. So I don't know if it is just the WRs or the coach, but maybe Johnny Quinn will come back and teach these guys how to be a complete WR!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

The timing for coaching changes is critical this part of the year with recruiting, signing date, and spring ball. Which of those do you want a new coach involved in vs. a lame duck coach not involved in?

It is a lot of flux with coaches and players coming and going right now. We need some stability before this all important season is upon us.

I could not be happier with the coaching situation, and the timing was probably good with signing day as well. I like that we are bringing in more College D1a experience, and I will bet the new WR will have a solid college background.

I am not happy about Cole or Williams though, but overall I see the coaching changes as a very positive thing and key to Dodge having a real shot at success.

I actually look forward to what TFLF has to say about the move.

Not to say what the reason is..... but our WRs who are not blazers run bad routes! They seem to act like every catch was a TD. They don't fight for the ball or go up and get it. So I don't know if it is just the WRs or the coach, but maybe Johnny Quinn will come back and teach these guys how to be a complete WR!!!!!!!!!!!

Casey Fitzgerald didn't do too shabby under Coach George

• Upvote 1

Is there really anyone here who didn't think some assistants would be gone? This was just a way of handling things in a dignified manner and minimize the pain and pr problems from the changes.

Now Dodge has the type of coaching staff he should have begin with initially. I think the Dodge experiment really demonstrates why there are not more high school coaches that make the jump directly into FB Division football. The coaches may have been truly great at the lower level but the skills required at the college level are not only different but the competition is much more intense.

All the high school coaches on our staff are falling back to where they belong and I mean that in the nicest way. I feel good about this season

and know that we really have a chance (this time) to win some ball games.

Good Luck Coach George and Thank You for your efforts.

Now we will have 2 coaches who are already behind. Coaches learning players and players learning coaches. Who knows maybe if we brought in 2 coaches earlier in the process they could have made a bigger impact on recruiting

If Cole was not on scholarship, I don't think the football program could have a tutor assigned to him. If so wouldn't they have to assign tutors to all students that requested one ?