Nt's Brian Waters "n.f.l. Man Of The Year"

UNTflyer

http://www.cleveland...brian_wate.html

According to the Kansas City Star, Waters will be named the 2010 recipient by Commissioner Roger Goodell on the field at Sun Life Stadium prior to kickoff of Super Bowl XLIV. Waters was also a finalist in 2007. He is the fifth Kansas City Chief to win since the award was created in 1970. It was renamed to honor Payton after he died 10 years ago.

It's inappropriate to say Furrey and Fletcher "lost out" to Waters in this prestigious recognition, which honors a player's community service along with his performance on the field.

Furrey and Fletcher are no less devoted activists in community service than is Waters -- or any other NFL player, for that matter. Just being singled out as finalists among 32 candidates (one from each team) is an honor that transcends the football field. Furrey was the first Browns player named as a finalist.

• Upvote 1

How can this be? I thought that only thugs were allowed on Darrell Dickey's squads?

Actually, I'm pretty sure Waters was way before Dickey's time. Recruited perhaps by Parker? Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

That said, I thought you were down with the thugs to create, as I termed it, "the Wild Bunch." If we go that route, let's not do it half-a**ed but use our whole a** like Miami.

Edited by Shuke-D
  • Upvote 1

Guest GrayEagleOne

Actually, I'm pretty sure Waters was way before Dickey's time. Recruited perhaps by Parker? Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

That said, I thought you were down with the thugs to create, as I termed it, "the Wild Bunch." If we go that route, let's not do it half-a**ed but use our whole a** like Miami.

He was recruited by Matt Simon and played three years for him. His senior season was under Dickey.

that's some great accolades for him and all that he does. he certainly deserves it and it's great to see him recognized here....but...what has he done for the betterment of north texas lately?

mean joe is always around during football season and was at the ground breaking ceremony. i don't ever remember hearing brian waters being at landmark north texas events.

it would be great if he used some of his stature to help promote north texas.

yes, i know that by having him named the nfl'er of the year that north texas gets mentioned, but patrick cobbs also get north texas' name mentioned when he's playing.

just curious...

• Upvote 1

He was at homecoming and was recognized during halftime three or four years ago. I talked with him prior to the game. He's very appreciative of his time with the Mean Green.

Rick

so one homecoming 3 or 4 years ago is a landmark event that can help out the university of north texas???

i guess i just expect more with all the talk that people do about him.

i realize mean joe is retired and has more time, but i just expect more.

Edited by radiogreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

so one homecoming 3 or 4 years ago is a landmark event that can help out the university of north texas???

i guess i just expect more with all the talk that people do about him.

i realize mean joe is retired and has more time, but i just expect more.

Don't you know former players read this board!!?!?!@!! Take it to the secret board and post it alongside my story about running into Evan Fentriss at Wet 'n Wild.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Congrats to Brian Waters...well done Mean Green! You know, I don't recall "Mean Joe" or Abner, etc., etc. spending much time at UNT during their playing days. And, for that matter, why should they be expected to do any more for UNT than any other grad? Yes, I know they have "name recognition" and that can and is a big big help...much bigger than KRAM making an appearance at a game, making a donation or buying season tickets. I get that. But I also get the fact that if more alums of UNT actually cared enough to support the school, well, there is no end to the great things that could be happening at UNT...both in athletics and in academics. I sometimes think that there are way too many UNT alums who think it is the "other guys" responsibility to do what they can...however big or small...to help their school grow, be recognized and be successful on and off the field. Too many who seem to have some little beef with someone, some dept or some program that gives them an excuse for ignoring their school completely as if by doing so the school will recognize their "absence" and atone for whatever grievance they seem to have. I guess what I am saying is that if everyone would do what they can...big or small...to help UNT it would make such a big difference.

I realize that I am "preaching to the choir" here a good bit, and I apologize for that, but I do think it way past time that UNT alums, students and friends stop "being embarrassed" by their association with UNT, stop holding some long standing grudge, stop worrying about what "other people think" if they actually show their support for UNT and start looking for the positives, start getting involved or re-connected to UNT and consider buying season tickets, making any size of donation, joining the Alumni Association (did you realize that you do not have to have a degree from UNT to be a member of the UNT Alumni Association?), joining the Mean Green Club, etc. that UNT could BE that University that we all know it can be.

I also know that there will be folks who say "show me first" and "too bad the athletic dept. or administration won't do this or that", and "I will not buy, give, support, etc. until"....I know those folks are out there and in way too many numbers, but just stop and imagine the possibilities if the Mean green nation really...I mean really...decided to get behind this university and its programs. man, what a ride we would all be on.....be still my heart.

Congrats again to Brian Waters...great guy...well deserved honor and I'll bet donuts to dollars that Brian Waters will be a big support to UNT in the years to come. He gives every indication of being proud of his link to UNT and I'll bet he is not "embarrassed around the water cooler" by the fact that he is a member of the Mean Green nation. I know I'm not and I know lots of others who aren't either. Thanks to all who support the Mean green with their time, talent and dollars...and with whatever they can do to be a proud member of the Mean Green nation. You folks are the best!

that's some great accolades for him and all that he does. he certainly deserves it and it's great to see him recognized here....but...what has he done for the betterment of north texas lately?

mean joe is always around during football season and was at the ground breaking ceremony. i don't ever remember hearing brian waters being at landmark north texas events.

it would be great if he used some of his stature to help promote north texas.

yes, i know that by having him named the nfl'er of the year that north texas gets mentioned, but patrick cobbs also get north texas' name mentioned when he's playing.

just curious...

Probably because he is rather busy in the Fall playing for KC? I don't know, just a guess.

• Upvote 1

Brian Waters used to spend some time in the off season working out in the weight room at the UNT athletic center with the players. Haven't heard whether he continues to do so the last couple of years. The players always enjoyed having him around because he was a true motivator and inspiration.

Brian Waters used to spend some time in the off season working out in the weight room at the UNT athletic center with the players. Haven't heard whether he continues to do so the last couple of years. The players always enjoyed having him around because he was a true motivator and inspiration.

that's cool....that's the type of stuff i was wondering about. i realize the dude is busy most of the season, but a little hanging out at good ole nt wouldn't hurt

• Upvote 1