Recruiting Class

redallover

The class seemed to have a lot of quality transfers, some projects and quite a few that were offered UTEP (in particular). Mike Price must've had a hard time holding on to his guys. The transfers each have unique situations and it's not easy to mold them into one workable unit but Dodge needs immediate help. There seem to be some gap fillers at the high school level but hopefully the transfer studs help get UNT over the proverbial hump and win those close games. In the future, winning the close games and getting the stadium built will help a lot. The thing that may have hurt with the high school guys was Dodge's long term viability. GMG!

Edited by redallover

The class seemed to have a lot of quality transfers, some projects and quite a few that were offered UTEP (in particular). Mike Price must've had a hard time holding on to his guys. The transfers each have unique situations and it's not easy to mold them into one workable unit but Dodge needs immediate help. There seem to be some gap fillers at the high school level but hopefully the transfer studs help get UNT over the proverbial hump and win those close games. In the future, winning the close games and getting the stadium built will help a lot. The thing that may have hurt with the high school guys was Dodge's long term viability. GMG!

You know, at a stronger program, where kids play because they think they have a chance to go pro, kids worry more about the stability of the coach. Guys coming to this program, right now, are probably not going to the NFL so they want an opportunity to play as much as possible before their football careers end in four years. We put more weight on it than 18 year olds do.

Scout's listing for D'Andre Wood lists the former North Carolina commit as running a 4.32 forty.

If accurate, would that be the fastest 40 time on the team?

I'd check the source on that 40 time...probably the same guys that had him ranked the #15 athlete in the nation and 36th best prospect in South Carolina his Junior year of HS. If so, I'd take that time with a grain of salt.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying that D'Andre Wood isn't a talented athlete and a good commitment for UNT, but it looks like someone's done some "monkey math" on his accolades.

I'd check the source on that 40 time...probably the same guys that had him ranked the #15 athlete in the nation and 36th best prospect in South Carolina his Junior year of HS. If so, I'd take that time with a grain of salt.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying that D'Andre Wood isn't a talented athlete and a good commitment for UNT, but it looks like someone's done some "monkey math" on his accolades.

FYI, two different lists. Athlete rankings are among those that do not have a listed position that they are being recruited for. The prospect list is a list of overall talent. These are not bad math, just different lists.

FYI, two different lists. Athlete rankings are among those that do not have a listed position that they are being recruited for. The prospect list is a list of overall talent. These are not bad math, just different lists.

I understand the difference between position rankings and prospect rankings, but I'm not naive enough to believe some random, undocumented claim that a 2-10 SBC team just signed the 2007 #15 nationally-ranked athlete in the country without doing a little research to validate that claim. I'm also not convinced that the 36th best prospect in South Carolina could be the 15th best athlete in the nation.

Jerrell Preister, 2010 Rivals #17 best prospect in South Carolina, ranked #59 at position "athlete" in the country

Conelius Jones, 2010 Rivals #23 best prospect in South Carolina, unranked in position "athlete" in the country

David Sims, 2009 Rivals #18 best prospect in South Carolina, ranked #40 in position "athlete" in the country

Tyrell Edwards, 2009 Rivals #29 best prospect in South Carolina, ranked #82 in position "athlete" in the country

Jaron Brown, 2008 Rivals #16 best prospect in South Carolina, ranked #57 in position "athlete" in the country

J.T. Floyd, 2008 Rivals #20 best prospect in South Carolina, unranked in position "athlete" in the country

Dontrelle Inman, 2007 Rivals #23 best prospect in South Carolina, unranked in position "athlete" in the country

Just for kicks, here's Rivals 2007 rankings of best athletes in the country. Ironically, #15 on that list is a current member of the Mean Green, but it's not D'Andre Wood.

But, please, don't take my word for it...do some more research....check Rivals, check Scouts, check ESPN. If you can find any source that shows D'Andre Wood as the #15 ranked athlete in the nation for 2007, I'd love to see it.

Again, let me be VERY clear about it, I am not bashing D'Andre Wood or, in any way, trying to undersell his abilities to contribute to this team. In fact, I think he has the potential to be the biggest impact player of this class. However, I'm not buying the inaccuracies on the resume.

• Upvote 2

Go back and look at some of those lists. How many of the top ranked recruits names do you still recognize? I looked at 05' and readily recognized a few, 4-5, which proves that these rankings are are a crap shoot and based upon their HS career. I would much rather see these young men rated at the end of their careers to see if they lived up to expectations or exceeded them.

Does #14 look familiar ? :rolleyes: He'll be wearing a Mean Green uni this year. :D

Rivals 2007 Athlete classification ranking

http://rivals100.riv...=1495&Year=2007

Reading comprehension is such an underutilized skill on this board. Your #14 was #15 on the 2007 Rivals link I posted -

Just for kicks, here's Rivals 2007 rankings of best athletes in the country. Ironically, #15 on that list is a current member of the Mean Green, but it's not D'Andre Wood.

I must assume the disconnect occurred because the list I linked did not include actual numbers beside each recruit.

Anyway, I give up :surrender:. D'Andre Wood is the greatest UNT recruit of this class (maybe even all-time) and everything ever posted on meangreensports.com must be the accepted as 100% factual and accurate, without question.

Go back and look at some of those lists. How many of the top ranked recruits names do you still recognize? I looked at 05' and readily recognized a few, 4-5, which proves that these rankings are are a crap shoot and based upon their HS career. I would much rather see these young men rated at the end of their careers to see if they lived up to expectations or exceeded them.

I can certainly agree with that. I was talking with a TTech buddy yesterday about this year's Rivals rankings and we both agreed that Rivals seems to have been more generous with the 2 and 3 stars this year versus the past. And, they have been very quick this year to update a committed prospect's star ranking as soon as said prospect committed to a given school. This was true for several UNT commits within the past week. Vincent Eddie and Steven Ford are two examples - both had zero stars prior to committing. When Eddie de-committed and committed to La-Monroe, he still had zero stars. The next day Eddie had two stars and Ford had three stars. So, I'm left to ponder - is this class, with seemingly more Rivals 3-star prospects, any better than the past two classes, or is Rivals just getting more generous with their rankings??

Or not - these ratings don't mean squat.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ok, below is the 2009 roster, as published by Mean Green Sports. I have deleted the SR's and left their numbers blank. Out of this remaining group, who is still on the team, who is gone, and who do you think will make a serious move for a starting spot?

51 Acton, Jared OL 5-11 287 RFr. Southlake, TX (Carroll HS)

47 Akpunku, Brandon DE 6-1 226 So. Cedar Hill, TX (Cedar Hill HS)

93 Anyiam, LaChris DE 6-4 287 Fr. Allen, TX (Allen HS)

99 Atkinson, Shavod DT 6-2 307 Jr. Hobart, OK (Independence CC)

41 Atterberry, Will P 5-11 187 Fr. Lewisville, TX (Lewisville HS)

13 Baine, Chase QB 6-0 198 RFr. Lake Dallas, TX (Lake Dallas HS)

73 Bean, Jeremy OL 6-5 301 Jr. Bethel, OK (NE Oklahoma A&M)

87 Brainard, Chris WR 5-11 158 Fr. Southlake, TX (Carroll)

1 Brigham, Desmond WR 6-1 184 RFr. Caddo Mills, TX (Caddo Mills HS)

84 Brown, Greg WR 6-1 217 Fr. Grand Prairie, TX (Grand Prairie HS)

69 Bruner, Jason OL 6-9 311 Jr. Mineola, TX (Trinity Valley CC)

96 Cantly, Tevinn DT 6-4 301 RFr. Arlington, TX (Lamar HS)

19 Carey, Darius WR 5-10 188 Fr. New Orleans, La (Helen Cox HS)

20 Chatman, Justin DB 5-9 180 So. Mesquite, TX (Minnesota)

10 Cook, DaWaylon DB 6-1 196 So. Dallas, TX (Samuell HS)

89 Cruz, Rory WR 6-0 160 Fr. Arlington, TX (SW Oklahoma St)

36 Davis, Marquese LB 6-1 232 So. Atlanta, TX (Atlanta HS)

30 Deans, Trent PK 6-0 184 RFr. Sherman, TX (Sherman HS)

54 Deheck, Robbie LB 6-2 231 So. Azle, TX (Azle HS)

95 DeSoto, Jesse DT 6-1 289 Jr. San Antonio, TX (Lee HS)

11 Dodge, Riley QB 6-0 193 RFr. Southlake, TX (Carroll HS)

68 Drake, Kelvin C 6-2 280 Jr. Galveston, TX (Ball HS)

5 Dunbar, Lance RB 5-9 202 So. Haltom, TX (Haltom HS)

39 Ekwerekwu, John RB 5-11 208 Jr. Carrollton, TX (R.L. Turner HS)

70 Feeley, Coleman OL 6-4 305 So. Austin, TX (Anderson HS)

85 Fitzpatrick, Austin TE 6-3 200 Fr. Friendswood, TX (Friendswood HS)

65 Flax, Kennan OL 6-4 283 Fr. Houston, TX (Cy Ridge HS)

60 Fortenberry, Aaron OL 6-4 288 RFr. Era, TX (Era HS)

53 Foster, Ryan LB 6-2 227 Fr. Grand Prairie, TX (Prairie View)

74 Franklin, Troy OL 6-5 272 So. Celina, TX (Celina HS)

30 Gandy, Shelton RB 5-8 170 Fr. Denton, TX (Ryan HS)

64 Gill, Victor OL 6-4 261 Jr. Argyle, TX (Argyle HS)

27 Gordon, Robbie DB 6-0 180 Jr. Ardmore, OK (Ardmore HS)

2 Hamilton, James RB 5-8 178 So. Cedar Hill, TX (Cedar Hill HS)

97 Hawthorne, Joe DT 6-4 270 RFr. Arlington, TX (Martin HS)

46 Herron, Julian LB 6-2 199 So. Arlington, TX (SMU)

21 Hill, Royce DB 6-0 177 So. Houston, TX (Cypress Ridge HS)

58 Holt, Dan OL 6-4 299 So. McKinney, TX (Midwestern State)

29 Jackson, Hilbert DB 6-1 181 Fr. Rowlett, TX (Rowlett HS)

15 Jackson, Jamaal WR 5-10 163 Jr. Amite, LA (SW Mississippi JC)

20 Jackson, Jamel WR 5-9 171 Jr. Killeen, TX (Northwestern State)

91 Jackson, Kelvin DT 6-2 309 Jr. Hermanville, MS (Itawamba CC)

51 January, Sean LB 6-0 234 Jr. Cave Creek,, AZ (Scottsdale Community College)

17 Johnson, Breece WR 6-1 178 Jr. Colleyville, TX (Heritage HS)

56 Johnson, J.J. C 6-3 283 So. Plano, TX (Plano West HS)

18 Jones, Benny WR 6-2 165 Jr. Marlin, TX (Navarro JC)

66 Kaiser, Jacob OL 6-7 311 So. Greensburg, PA (Central Catholic HS)

78 Kokjohn, Troy OL 6-2 242 So. Carrollton, TX (Hebron HS)

50 Leppo, Nick OL 6-3 246 RFr. Southlake, TX (Carroll HS)

9 Lewis, B.J. WR 6-1 197 So. Waco, TX (Robinson HS)

4 Lott, Alex WR 5-9 173 Jr. Plano, TX (Texas Lutheran)

24 Mathis, Jeremi RB 6-1 215 RFr. Arlington, TX (Martin HS)

48 Monroe, Charles RB 5-10 220 Fr. Mesquite, TX (Mesquite HS)

32 Mosley, Micah RB 6-0 224 Jr. Nederland, TX (Nederland HS)

57 Nailor, Joseph DE 6-2 235 So. Houston, TX (Idaho)

34 Neal, Chris DB 5-9 168 Jr. Kaufman, TX (Kaufman HS)

76 Noble, John OL 6-6 296 Fr. Rockwall, TX (Rockwall HS)

48 Obi, K.C. DE 6-2 214 Fr. Mission Hills, CA (Bishop Alemany HS)

82 Outlaw, Michael WR 6-0 185 Jr. Starkville, MS (East Mississippi CC)

31 Penson, A.J. LB 6-1 225 Jr. Lufkin, TX (Lufkin HS)

45 Phillips, Jeremy LB 6-3 198 RFr. Waller, TX (Waller HS)

25 Ponce, Matt RB 5-11 198 Fr. Whitehouse, TX (Whitehouse HS)

53 Prior, Daniel LB 6-2 215 Fr. Henderson, TX (Henderson HS)

8 Roberson, Sam WR 6-4 220 So. Somerville, TX (Somerville HS)

29 Roberts, Phillip DB 5-11 195 Fr. Killeen, TX (Ellison HS)

42 Robertson, Craig LB 6-1 221 Jr. Stafford, TX (Stafford HS)

92 Ross, Draylen DT 6-4 292 Jr. Fort Worth, TX (Diamond Hill-Jarvis HS)

89 Rucker, Forrest WR 6-6 215 Fr. Hearne, TX (Hearne HS)

77 Santiago, Esteban OL 6-3 296 Jr. El Paso, TX (Coronado HS)

27 Schutza, Casey WR 5-10 170 Fr. Euless, TX (Trinity HS)

39 Serrano, Jose PK 5-11 199 Fr. Dallas, TX (Skyline HS)

18 Shorter, John DB 6-0 195 So. Dallas, TX (Lake Highlands HS)

25 Smith, Ira DB 5-11 183 Jr. Long Beach, MS (Gulf Coast CC)

31 Squier, Weston RB 5-8 154 So. Sanger, TX (Sanger HS)

88 Stradford, Tyler WR 6-2 190 Fr. New Orleans, LA (Oklahoma)

3 Taylor, Willie WR 5-10 175 RFr. Dallas, TX (Hillcrest HS)

7 Thompson, Derek QB 6-4 223 Fr. Glen Rose, TX (Glen Rose HS)

72 Tomlinson, Matt OL 6-5 297 So. Klein, TX (Klein HS)

6 Tune, Nathan QB 6-4 206 Jr. Celina, TX (Celina HS)

98 Weber, John DE 6-3 288 Jr. Harvey, LA (Itawamba CC)

63 White, Kyle DT 6-2 309 Fr. New Orleans , LA (McDonogh 35 HS)

23 Williams, Darien DB 5-10 189 So. Vernon, TX (Vernon HS)

67 Williams, Ryan OL 6-2 219 Fr. Southlake, TX (Carroll HS)

7 Wilson, Jamaal DB 5-10 181 So. DeSoto, TX (DeSoto HS)

Edited by SilverEagle