Season Over?

Mo Green

Since the only teams with marquis wins were South Alabama & WKU ( 2 SEC wins) is our season over unless we win the tournment?

Just wanted to see if you see a pattern developing in our basketball program over the last 9 years.I miss the valley- that was bb at its best. Haven't seen that in Denton in a long time.

Wonder if RV is covering for his friend in JJ?

One more question, has our RPI increased or decreased over the last 9 years (*for you gym rats)?

Just wanted to see what you think.

• Upvote 2

Like you, I miss the Valley too. What I really miss, though, is the student spirit we had in the Pit when we were in the Valley. Of course, if we were in the Valley (or something close....CUSA?), we might have never made those trips to the NCAA.

As for progress, I think there has been some for sure. Whether we (or JJ) can take it to another level is a good question.+

• Downvote 1

I think it's a pretty safe bet that this only a 1 bid team this year. Everyone is beating everyone so no team stands out at all. Best case for the league is to have the regular season conference champ lose in the tourny to secure a NIT bid.

One week I think South Bama is the best team , the next week it's wKu. Then it's UNT , then it's Arkansas State. It's nothing but a crap shoot this year and the team that catches fire late will be dancing.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Since the only teams with marquis wins were South Alabama & WKU ( 2 SEC wins) is our season over unless we win the tournment?

Just wanted to see if you see a pattern developing in our basketball program over the last 9 years.I miss the valley- that was bb at its best. Haven't seen that in Denton in a long time.

Wonder if RV is covering for his friend in JJ?

One more question, has our RPI increased or decreased over the last 9 years (*for you gym rats)?

Just wanted to see what you think.

Covering for his friend? JJ is the best coach at UNT right now. We have had some key injuries this year, and unlike the big boys at KY, TX, etc. our depth is just not as strong as the regulars. JJ runs college practices, has the respect of his players, and does a pretty good job of getting recruits to Denton. I believe the the success of football and basketball at most colleges go hand in hand. If we can turn our fb program around the next couple of years and along with the new stadium, the bb studs will follow some of the fb studs here. Ask Rick Barnes at Texas what the football program has done for him.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Guest GrayEagleOne

Personally, I thought that the season was over when Dominique Johnson went down. We're also hurting in the front court. Odufuwa can't do it all without help. Unfortunately, unless a miracle happens, I don't see that much hope for next year either.

The Valley was arguably the best basketball conference in the country at one time. Even with the loss of Cincinnati, Louisville, Memphis, et al they're still a pretty good conference in basketball but they don't play Division 1-A football anymore so all we can do is reminisce.

I'm afraid that it'll be awhile before the Belt gets two teams to the dance again. There are too many good conferences.

Covering for his friend? JJ is the best coach at UNT right now. We have had some key injuries this year, and unlike the big boys at KY, TX, etc. our depth is just not as strong as the regulars. JJ runs college practices, has the respect of his players, and does a pretty good job of getting recruits to Denton. I believe the the success of football and basketball at most colleges go hand in hand. If we can turn our fb program around the next couple of years and along with the new stadium, the bb studs will follow some of the fb studs here. Ask Rick Barnes at Texas what the football program has done for him.

Great post. I completely agree. Good job in defense of JJ. He's the best coach we've had in a long time in any sport.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Great post. I completely agree. Good job in defense of JJ. He's the best coach we've had in a long time in any sport.

Every time I see this team play, I see no offensive continuity. I see guards driblling into double teams. I see 1 on 1 play on most offensive possessions. This is a continuing year-to-year problem for UNT. I don't see a bright future for this team this year.

In the bigger picture, I wonder if JJ can develop players. I think the development of Holman will answer this question. Jacob was a consensus top 50 player in the state. It will be interesting to see how he develops under JJ in the coming years.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

As much as I love JJ, what about Hedlund? He might be the best coach we've ever had in any sport. He literally built the program from nothing.

• Upvote 2

Every time I see this team play, I see no offensive continuity. I see guards driblling into double teams. I see 1 on 1 play on most offensive possessions. This is a continuing year-to-year problem for UNT. I don't see a bright future for this team this year.

In the bigger picture, I wonder if JJ can develop players. I think the development of Holman will answer this question. Jacob was a consensus top 50 player in the state. It will be interesting to see how he develops under JJ in the coming years.

the key question is can JJ develop a PG. haven't our true facilitators been juco transfers?

I believe you're only meaning NCAA tournament type of games here. In that case, how many postseason games in the history of the school have been won?

We were national champions 4 years in a row, so I guess you can say we have accomplished SOMETHING post-season in our history. I was thinking that we had only won three until I loooked it up. http://www.ncaa.com/history/m-golf-d1.html

We were national champions 4 years in a row, so I guess you can say we have accomplished SOMETHING post-season in our history. I was thinking that we had only won three until I loooked it up. http://www.ncaa.com/history/m-golf-d1.html

Oh, I know our golf team has titles to its credit. I'm never sure how exactly to count those as post season wins tho - because you play the field. So does that count as 19 wins if you beat all the other schools there?

Oh, I know our golf team has titles to its credit. I'm never sure how exactly to count those as post season wins tho - because you play the field. So does that count as 19 wins if you beat all the other schools there?

Why not. We need all the credit we can get. I guess we can also brag that we were the first non-Ivy to win more than two in a row.