A Few Interviews With Mike Canales - From About 1 Year Ago

gangrene

Here's an interview I found with Mike shortly after he was promoted to OC at USF.

BullsVision Exclusive Interview with Mike Canales

Also, here's a Q and A from ESPN from last June. Again, the interview is in regards to the USF Bulls, but I think it offers a lot of insight into Canales' offensive mindset. I liked this Q & A, in particular:

It seemed like Matt had a great spring, which you'd expect from a four-year starter. But even with a new offense, he looked comfortable. Did he do everything you wanted this spring?

MC: Yeah, he really took to it. We spent a lot of time in quarterback school, just really dissecting defenses and understanding schemes and why things worked the way they did. One thing I was really pleased with was that he came away with only one interception in a team scrimmage situation when we were going against the defense. And I think that was the biggest thing, just understanding the checkdowns and getting the ball to your backs. Don't try to force it and make a big play. Take what's there and understand that your second hitch outlet is as good as anything.

If you want to increase your (completion) percentage from last year to this year, go to your backs and that will increase your percentage by six percent. Don't be afraid to drop the ball off. It's not always about making the big play; it's about making the right play.

• Upvote 1