Q & A With Coach Dodge-From Mg Sports

Charlie NT 73

From the Mean Green Sports web site-

Q & A with Todd Dodge about the hiring of Canales

http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=204876836&DB_OEM_ID=1800

Coach Dodge spoke to Norm Chow, Tony Dungy, Herm Edwards, Jim Leavitt

Coach Canales will run the offense, call

the plays, coach the QB's

Edited by charlie nt73
  • Upvote 1

From the Mean Green Sports web site-

Q & A with Todd Dodge about the hiring of Canales

http://www.meangreen...&DB_OEM_ID=1800

Coach Dodge spoke to Norm Chow, Tony Dungy, Herm Edwards, Jim Leavitt

MeanGreenSports: Who will call plays next year?

Dodge: "He (Mike) will be the play-caller. He's being hired as the coordinator and as I told Mike there are going to be some absolutes that he's already doing and I will simply turn into a guy who will be a resource for him on offense. He will coach the quarterbacks on an everyday basis and that's very important."

WOW! blowup.gif Huge shift in philosophy for this program!

Great news! I think Coach Dodge is, in fact, becoming that CEO head football coach that will look to allow his OC and DC to "do their thing" while being accountable to him as the HC. Great news indeed, and a sign of good things happening for the Mean green.

Can't wait!

GO MEAN GREEN!

Dodge: "He (Mike) will be the play-caller. He's being hired as the coordinator and as I told Mike there are going to be some absolutes that he's already doing and I will simply turn into a guy who will be a resource for him on offense. He will coach the quarterbacks on an everyday basis and that's very important."

This is a huge change for Dodge. I wonder if part of this "delegation of authority" was the reason for the delay in the hiring? Probably not but I think it shows how much pressure Dodge must be under to want to turn things around this season. Spring football will be very interesting!

• Upvote 1

Yes! Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!

This move will guarantee that Dodge is back in 2011...if he isn't hired away after the big turn around we are about to have!

I will now go out on a limb and say that we will win the Sun Belt Conference in 2010. That's how much I believe in this hire, last year's hire of Mike Nelson and Charr Gahagan, and our defense's third full season under Gary Deloach.

There is no defense that will confuse this offensive coordinator. And, as shown in the youtube posting on another thread, he will stick the quarterback under center with two tight ends blocking and hand the ball to a tailback down near the goal line. In short, Canales isn't trying to be cute and fancy when six points are on the line - he just goes and gets the six points!

Huge! This is huge! This is Tiger Woods calling his mistress and asking her to remove her name identifier from her cell phone calls huge!

Yes! Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!

This move will guarantee that Dodge is back in 2011...if he isn't hired away after the big turn around we are about to have!

I will now go out on a limb and say that we will win the Sun Belt Conference in 2010. That's how much I believe in this hire

Whoa, slow down the train! We still have to have the players to make the plays, do we have enough of them now? And how much control of the offense and coaching Riley will Dodge really give up? It's his job on the line this season. He's been involved in play calls for 24 years and now suddenly going to turn over the car keys and son to this new guy he's known for 2 weeks?? I like the hire but...wow, this will be interesting!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm not going to go so far as to predict immediate conference titles, but the magnitude of this can NOT be overstated. THIS. IS. HUGE. I've been fairly vocal with criticism for Football Trilli the past year, but credit where credit is due: if this holds, even if Dodge doesn't make it through the season it won't be for lack of trying everything he could. This is a massive philosophy shift and the first purely tangible evidence that Dodge is learning and progressing re: the head coach position, and willing to sacrifice his ego to try and win. Much respect to Coach on this.

Biggest and best on the field news of the offseason, hands down.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

This is a huge change for Dodge. I wonder if part of this "delegation of authority" was the reason for the delay in the hiring? Probably not but I think it shows how much pressure Dodge must be under to want to turn things around this season. Spring football will be very interesting!

Sounds like you're right on track as to what the holdup may have been. From "Shootin' the Bull with Scott Carter"

Besides finalizing contract details, one of the primary hold-ups in negotiations was the question of how much of a role would Canales have in play-calling. Dodge’s son, Riley Dodge, is the Mean Green’s starting quarterback and Dodge has always called his own plays.

I like the open QB competition. Canales is going to come in and be able to objectively say who he thinks, with his 24 years of college + experience, the besr QB on the roster is to run his offense. We won't be able to bitch about pappa Dodge showing favortism to his son any more, we won't be able to question if the right guys are playing or anything else in the vein of QB!

I wonder if this means that all of the other positions on Canales' offense are up for grabs by the best player too?! Now that would be spectacular!

What is Todge going to do? Carry the Diet Coke cans? and call awesome timeouts?

There's only about 90 other programs in the country where the head coach is not involved in play calling on one side of the ball or the other. I'm sure those fans are wondering the same thing. Bottom line, this lets him be a manager/CEO type and that's really what you want. His emphasis will always be on the offensive side of the ball but he can be more focused on game management, when to call timeouts, when to go for it on 4th, etc. And I think you'll see a marked improvement on that regard with this hire and 'release of duties'.

• Upvote 3

Here's another potential issue to chew on...Canales doesn't use a Dan Hawkins Play Calling Wrist Band the way Todd Dodge did. And, he called plays from the sideline, not the booth. That's two issues.

XQCWSNOPWXBTBPH.20090311003303.jpg

13263_0910bulls.jpg

Dodge_Todd_LAMonroe07.jpg

todd-dodge-v-ala-med-dave-martin-apjpg-c894a3d9dde0c616_medium.jpg

Problems? How will Canales know what to do without the Dan Hawkins Play Calling Wrist Band? What does he hope to gain by being on the sideline?

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1

Here's another potential issue to chew on...Canales doesn't use a Dan Hawkins Play Calling Wrist Band the way Todd Dodge did. And, he called plays from the sideline, not the booth. That's two issues.

XQCWSNOPWXBTBPH.20090311003303.jpg

13263_0910bulls.jpg

Dodge_Todd_LAMonroe07.jpg

todd-dodge-v-ala-med-dave-martin-apjpg-c894a3d9dde0c616_medium.jpg

Problems? How will Canales know what to do without the Dan Hawkins Play Calling Wrist Band? What does he hope to gain by being on the sideline?

Is that picture of Canales and Grothe doing the "jump up and bump sides of the chest thing"?