Canales Hired To Lead Mean Green Offense

Harry

I was beginning to wonder if this was going to happen. This looks like a great hire! Though there have been some head-scratching moments, I like Dodge's offense overall... I think having Coach Canales on board, will help keep those head-scratching moments to a minimum.

Gotta love the guy's spread knowledge/experience.

And, being a receivers coach on the NFL level should help Coach George and the WRs.

Hopefully, Dodge will loosen the reigns on the offense and trust his hire to run it.

Now, about the defense...

I just got the email. Whew...nice to know it's official now. I'm still hoping Canales has time to influence maybe just one or two recruits before national signing day next Tuesday. At any rate, I'm very excited about this hire and glad to have "Chico" on board. I can't imagine how anyone can view this hire as anything other than a significant upgrade.

As GMG '99 mentioned, this gives me additional optimism for next season. Regardless of how you view the success of Canales past experiences, you can't dispute that he brings a lot of D-I/FBS experience to the Mean Green.

from Vito's blog

First off, Dodge is turning over his offense, play-calling and his role as quarterbacks coach to Canales.

This will be the first time in the 24 years Dodge has been in coaching that he will not be either the primary play-caller or share that responsibility with Todd Ford, who left the staff to become a head high school coach.

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

::EDIT

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

Edited by greenminer

From Vito's blog:

rss-small.gif yahoo-small.gif

January 29, 2010

I spoke with Todd Dodge for a couple of minutes today while parked on the side of the highway. Believe it or not, I am stranded on the way to the UNT-Middle Tennessee games in a pretty bad snow storm.

Now that I have parked it in a cheep hotel, here are some interesting notes on the hire.

First off, Dodge is turning over his offense, play-calling and his role as quarterbacks coach to Canales.

This will be the first time in the 24 years Dodge has been in coaching that he will not be either the primary play-caller or share that responsibility with Todd Ford, who left the staff to become a head high school coach.

Dodge is hoping that adding Canales to the staff will enable UNT to cut down on the number of turnovers it commits, improve its deep passing game and involve the tight end more in the passing game.

The competition for the quarterback job will be open in spring practice, which will give Nathan Tune and Derek Thompson a shot to compete with Riley Dodge.

Canales worked with a couple of shorter quarterbacks similar to Riley Dodge at South Florida.

Thanks for asking the questions we all want to know Brett! This is what we've all been asking for...I hope we can be happy now and hope for the best!!!

This is just great news. It not only helps the MG in the eyes of recruits, by sending the message that there is a professional coaching staff at UNT, but it also sends a message that the school and AD is serious about putting a SERIOUS, competitive program out there. Not saying that wasn't being done before, but this helps perception in so many eyes.

It also is a "look at us" wake up call to the rest of the SBC. The program needs to reassert itself THE dominant force in the conference, and this is a step in that direction.

Great, great news.

...and involve the tight end more in the passing game.

The competition for the quarterback job will be open in spring practice, which will give Nathan Tune and Derek Thompson a shot to compete with Riley Dodge.

With these developments this staff gets a free pass from me at least until after spring ball.

• Downvote 2

Looks like some new members of the "happy camper" squad are coming forward to join the "good things are happening" at UNT and "I believe" group.

Welcome. This is the type of "good news" that can create a good bit of positive vibes regarding UNT's chances for improvement...maybe sell a few more season tickets, get a few more folks to join the Mean Green Club and just to "believe" in the Mean Green.

Oh, happy days......be still my heart!

GO MEAN GREEN!

From Vito's blog:

rss-small.gif yahoo-small.gif

January 29, 2010

I spoke with Todd Dodge for a couple of minutes today while parked on the side of the highway. Believe it or not, I am stranded on the way to the UNT-Middle Tennessee games in a pretty bad snow storm.

Now that I have parked it in a cheep hotel, here are some interesting notes on the hire.

Dodge is hoping that adding Canales to the staff will enable UNT to cut down on the number of turnovers it commits, improve its deep passing game and involve the tight end more in the passing game.

Canales worked with a couple of shorter quarterbacks similar to Riley Dodge at South Florida.

Thanks for asking the questions we all want to know Brett! This is what we've all been asking for...I hope we can be happy now and hope for the best!!!

The competition for the quarterback job will be open in spring practice, which will give Nathan Tune and Derek Thompson a shot to compete with Riley Dodge

The true sports writer "vito" still refuses to show some love for the local boys....I believe the now healthy Chase Baine will heat things up in the spring....quicker than both of the above mentioned. Great Hire Coach Dodge !!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1