A little more Sunday recruiting news

Brett Vito

I spoke with Cibolo Steele defensive tackle Corey Hill this afternoon. He has yet to commit and will wait to take visits to UTEP during the week and Memphis next weekend before making a decision.

Right now UNT is in a dogfight with Stephen F. Austin. The problem is Hill is still holding out hope that TCU will offer.

I get the impression that if the Frogs enter the picture, UNT exits stage left. It's hard to blame the guy if that is the case considering TCU busted the BCS while UNT finished 2-10.

Memphis and UTEP still have a dog in the fight and could land him as well. UTEP already snatched Javia Hall from UNT and Memphis has a lot to offer.

Will Wright Jr. visited Louisiana-Monroe this weekend. I don't have any way to get him on the phone and nothing has come out indicating what he will do.

Denison quarterback Jordan Taylor was supposed to be facing a Sunday deadline to stick with Rice and play wide receiver or flip to UNT to play quarterback. Rice was supposed to have a Plan B receiver in place.

Taylor isn't picking up his phone, but it is interesting to note that Rice picked up a commitment from Mario Hull out of South Texas. Was Hull the Plan B guy Rice was going to give Taylor's scholarship to? I have no idea at this point, but that certainly could be the case. Hull did commit Sunday morning.

Todd Dodge is a great closer. How he convinced Austin Fitzpatrick to pass on an offer to go sit on the beach with Howard Schnellenberger and join the long list of tight ends that Florida Atlantic has cranked out to play in an offense where the position is nothing more than a rumor is beyond me.

Landing Taylor would be right up there with Dodge's best sales jobs. UNT has Riley Dodge back for three more years and Derek Thompson back for at least that long. There is also the matter of the potential to pick up a Rice degree.

Kudos to Dodge if he can pull this one out of the hat.

One other tidbit of note is Honey Grove athlete Zack Patt pass on an offer to play for the Mean Green to play for, you guessed it, Rice.

There is one weekend left in the recruiting season and it is starting to look likely that UNT is going to pull out a middle-of-the-pack class in the Sun Belt, despite losing Hall. It's definitely a solid effort by UNT, which has been stuck at the bottom of the league standings for the last three seasons.

View the full article