Updated List Of 2010 Mean Green Signees

Harry

Positional Count:

Offense QB: 1, ATH: 1, RB: 1, WR: 3, TE: 1, OL: 3

Defense DE: 3, DT:1, LB: 4, S: 3, CB:4

Special Teams K: 1

Total count 26

1). WR William Cole (5-10, 165, 4.5) Cedar Hill - Cole was one of the top recruits in the State of Texas two years ago, signing with Oklahoma State out of high school. A knee injury sidelined him and he transferred to North Texas in the Fall of 2009. He will have two years of eligibility in Denton. There is a lot of excitement in the Mean Green Nation regarding Cole's potential impact in 2010. Enrolled.

2). WR Tyler Stradford (6-2, 175, 4.4) New Orleans, Louisiana - The first true deep threat receiver with size and speed that Dodge has had since taking over the reigns at UNT. Signed with Oklahoma out of high school and transferred to UNT. Participated in Spring and Fall 2009 practices. Will have two years of eligibility remaining. Enrolled.

3). DE Aaron Bellazin (6-2, 230), Everman - Offers from SMU, New Mexico, San Diego State, Buffalo, ULM, SFA and UTEP. A quick, punishing defender that has a nose for the ball. Right now, Bellazin is UNT's top defensive recruit on the board. Signed Letter of Intent.

4). RB Brandin Byrd (5-11, 185, 4.5), Copperas Cove - Byrd committed early to UNT (6/28/09) along with his teammate WR Brelan Chancellor. Rushed for 1,061 in his senior season. Enrolled early. Signed Letter of Intent.

5). ATH Brelan Chancellor (5-9, 165, 4.4) Copperas Cove - a first-team all-District 12-5A selection as a running back, was recruited to be a slot receiver. Enrolled early. Signed Letter of Intent.

6). S Ryan Downing (6-1, 200) Butler (Kan.) CC - Passed on an offer from Northern Illinois and played at a high level of competition in the Kansas Juco league. Signed Letter of Intent.

7). LB Blake Dunham (6-2, 200) Argyle - Linebacker that logged 123 tackles in his senior season. Excellent deep snapper who will compete to replace Christian Davidson. Son of Mean Green announcer George Dunham.

8). OLB Brad Graham (6-0, 205) Navarro JC - Undersized but impressive credentials. 2009 NJCAA Football Player of the Year. Could play safety. Signed Letter of Intent.

9). CB Steven Ford (6-0, 190, 4.4) Fort Scott Community College - Top performer for one of the very best JUCO squads in the country. Quite possibly an immediate replacement for corner Adryan Adams. Offers from K-State, Tulsa and East Carolina. Signed Letter of Intent.

10). OL Graylin Hawkins (6-4, 250) Dallas Skyline - Hawkins is a project that has a large wingspan and frame to put on size. Clearly a redshirt candidate but could help down the road with his quick feet. Signed Letter of Intent.

11). S Jamison Hughes (6-1, 185) Pearl River (Miss.) C.C. - Hughes is an interesting Juco transfer that originally signed with Ole Miss, later transferred to Southern Miss and then Pearl River. He is now expected to compete for a starting position at North Texas. Signed Letter of Intent.

12). OLB Forlando Johnson (5-11, 208, 4.6) Butler (Kan.) CC - possibly the most talented JUCO transfer that should make an immediate impact. Johnson was a preseason JUCO All American but suffered a knee injury and missed the first three games of the season. Still finished with 57 tackles garnering 1st team All Conference honors and will be looking to prove his critics wrong. Signed Letter of Intent.

13). CB DeLeon McCord (6-0, 185) Butler (Kan.) CC - Should be an immediate contributor to the Mean Green secondary. Logged 30 tackles in his senior season. Signed Letter of Intent.

14). K Zach Olen, Richardson Berkner - Honorable Mention All State Kicker with huge leg. Should provide an immediate boost to North Texas special teams. Signed Letter of Intent.

15). LB Zach Orr (5-10, 225) DeSoto - Dark horse for top defensive recruit honors, Orr had offers from Tulsa, Louisiana Tech, San Diego State and UTEP. Probably would have had more offers if he hadn't suffered a pinched nerve in his shoulder in his senior season. Was a 1st Team 5A All State Linebacker as a junior. Signed Letter of Intent.

16). OL Mason Y'Barbo (6-2, 300) Sulphur Springs - Offers from Houston and Northwestern State. Physical player that was just a couple of inches short from being at a BCS program. Left guard that could also play center or be a deep snapper. Signed Letter of Intent.

17). DE Ryan Boutwell (6-3, 225) China Springs - Boutwell originally signed in 2009 but an injury forced him to sit out the season and grayshirt. Signed Letter of Intent.

18). DE/LB Julian Herron (6-0, 205) Arlington Bowie / SMU - Highly rated prospect that signed with SMU out of high school and was released by June Jones. Transferred to UNT and is expected to compete at linebacker and defenisve end. Undersized but outstanding speed. Should have 3-years of eligibility left. Signed Letter of Intent.

19). OL Antonio Johnson (6-6, 270) Diboll - Good size and feet from a smaller school. Protypical offensive tackle frame. Projects to be a redshirt at the offensive tackle position. Was offered by ULM and UTEP. Signed Letter of Intent.

20). S Will Wright Jr. (6-2, 200, 4.5) South Garland - Good size and and speed at a key need position. 1st team all district selection. Had interest from TCU and was offered by UTEP. Signed Letter of Intent.

21). DE Michael Miller (6-3, 260) Antelope Valley (Calif.) CC - Perhaps the key to the entire class in that he has the tools and size to play the strongside defensive end position from day 1. Recruited by Defensive Line Coach Mike Nelson. Signed Letter of Intent.

22). TE Jamize Olawale (6-2, 237) El Camino (Calif) CC - Olawale will help replace Bryant Seidle at tight end and gives UNT a good sized target with wheels. A good fit for the revamped tight end utilized offense implemented by new offensive coordinator Mike "Chico" Canales. Signed Letter of Intent.

23). CB D'Andre Wood (6-0, 192) New Mexico Military Inst - Wood was the highest ranked UNT signee and has lockdown corner abilities. Will be the fastest Mean Green player the day he sets foot on campus and should be in the hunt for a starting cornerback position to replace Adryan Adams. Signed Letter of Intent.

24). WR Christopher Bynes (6-1, 210, 4.6) Coffeyville CC, Kansas - Bynes reminded Coach Dodge of former UNT WR Brandon Jackson. Caught 25 receptions for 282 yards as a sophomore. Signed Letter of Intent.

25). DT Richard Abbe (6-4, 290) Lubbock Monterey - Abbe is a big, strong player with good feet. UNT is looking for him to help solidify the defensive line but could also help them on the offensive line. Despite Monterey instituting a new offense, the Plainsmen still had a potent ground game that improved throughout the season. It was led by the veteran Abbe, who guided the way for 203.8 rushing yards per game. Signed Letter of Intent.

26). QB Derrick Teegarden (6-0, 170, 4.7) Odessa - helped guide the Bronchos back to the playoffs for the second year in a row, the first time OHS had made back-to-back trips to the postseason since the 1940s. Teegarden completed 155 of 224 passes for 1,911 yards and 18 touchdowns with four interceptions and finished with more than 5,100 yards passing and 51 touchdown passes in his career. Signed Letter of Intent.

Guest GrayEagleOne

While I'm not sure which recruiting class that he fits in, DeWayne Baziel is a newcomer who is also an addition to last year's squad. He looks as if he could be a starter at DE as well.

PS: Great writeup Harry.

Great write up. I think Cole and Stradford have 3 years of eligibility.

There is some speculation on my part regarding why I am listing them as having two years of eiligibility with us.

Stradford's bio indicated that he redshirted in 2007. That means his four year clock started in 2008, meaning he has 4 years to play 4 years of eligibility. The NCAA forced him to sit out last season because he transferred from another D-I program (OU). Therefore he has four years of eligibility after his redshirt year, 2008, 09, 10 and 11. This is how I am calculating 2-years of eligibility for him.

I think it is a similar story for Cole - he actually played in 2007 and would have been a true sophomore in 2008. We know he didn't play in 2009.

If anyone can shed light on this feel free.

I appreciate the work, but unless you have an in with the coaching staff; I don't know how anyone could figure out the numbers. For example, where does Herron and Braziel fit into this? How many former walkons like Brown and Lott have been given scholarships. How many players have left the program such as Owusu-Hemeng and Seidle? Stradford, I would guess already was on scholarship as he was ready to play last year if the NCAA decision had been positive. It is also possible that the early signing jucos could be counted as last years ships if any scholarships were available. Likewise the others that were already on campus such as Herron, Braziel, and Cole could also be part of last years class.

Based on the current roster, I can identify about sixty one that I think are on ships. Cole, Braziel and Boutwell are not on that list. That would leave 21 new recruits assuming that NT gets a full 85. Per Harrys list there are 15 known commitments not including Stradford, Boutwell, or Cole which would leave six more to be filled. This is just another guess based on partial information as I stated no one but the coaching staff really knows the player situations.

I appreciate the work, but unless you have an in with the coaching staff; I don't know how anyone could figure out the numbers. For example, where does Herron and Braziel fit into this? How many former walkons like Brown and Lott have been given scholarships. How many players have left the program such as Owusu-Hemeng and Seidle? Stradford, I would guess already was on scholarship as he was ready to play last year if the NCAA decision had been positive. It is also possible that the early signing jucos could be counted as last years ships if any scholarships were available. Likewise the others that were already on campus such as Herron, Braziel, and Cole could also be part of last years class.

Based on the current roster, I can identify about sixty one that I think are on ships. Cole, Braziel and Boutwell are not on that list. That would leave 21 new recruits assuming that NT gets a full 85. Per Harrys list there are 15 known commitments not including Stradford, Boutwell, or Cole which would leave six more to be filled. This is just another guess based on partial information as I stated no one but the coaching staff really knows the player situations.

Owusu back?

Should Julian Herron be added to that list as a SMU transfer? It will be interesting to see what he can do once camp starts.

I think my top recruits at this point are Bellazin, Hall and Orr.

Adding Stratford and Cole to the WR corps is going to be HUGE. Throw the youngster Darius Carey and I think our WR's are going to be pretty stout next year.

An inexact science for sure. I know from past experiences it is a very fluid number. There are many variables.

With Cole, Stradford, Baziel, Herron, and Boutwell counting on the

2010 scholarship allotment for the 2010 class, I wonder how the

recruiting services (Rivals, Scout) will grade out their star ratings

for these players, on their final commitment/signed LOI reports?

All of these 5 players were multi-star rated out of high school.

When the 2010 class is final, will the recruiting services show

their same high school star ratings?

If the recuiting services add in their high school star ratings

for each player, the 2010 class will be very impressive!

Star light, star bright, I wish upon stars before LOI night!

Edited by charlie nt73

Really? He'll just waltz past the deep snappers already on the roster? Troy Kokjohn and others? If so, we're in bigger trouble depth-wise than we thought.

Good point - probably should have used the work "could"... I will correct it.

• 3 weeks later...

With Cole, Stradford, Baziel, Herron, and Boutwell counting on the

2010 scholarship allotment for the 2010 class, I wonder how the

recruiting services (Rivals, Scout) will grade out their star ratings

for these players, on their final commitment/signed LOI reports?

All of these 5 players were multi-star rated out of high school.

When the 2010 class is final, will the recruiting services show

their same high school star ratings?

If the recuiting services add in their high school star ratings

for each player, the 2010 class will be very impressive!

Star light, star bright, I wish upon stars before LOI night!

• 3 months later...

You can add TE Tanner Smith from Nolan HS, 6-4, 240, 4.7 See Eagle talk for info

quote name='Harry' date='20 January 2010 - 12:19 AM' timestamp='1263964768' post='469183']

Positional Count:

Offense QB: 1, ATH: 1, RB: 1, WR: 3, TE: 1, OL: 3

Defense DE: 3, DT:1, LB: 4, S: 3, CB:4

Special Teams K: 1

Total count 26

1). WR William Cole (5-10, 165, 4.5) Cedar Hill - Cole was one of the top recruits in the State of Texas two years ago, signing with Oklahoma State out of high school. A knee injury sidelined him and he transferred to North Texas in the Fall of 2009. He will have two years of eligibility in Denton. There is a lot of excitement in the Mean Green Nation regarding Cole's potential impact in 2010. Enrolled.

2). WR Tyler Stradford (6-2, 175, 4.4) New Orleans, Louisiana - The first true deep threat receiver with size and speed that Dodge has had since taking over the reigns at UNT. Signed with Oklahoma out of high school and transferred to UNT. Participated in Spring and Fall 2009 practices. Will have two years of eligibility remaining. Enrolled.

3). DE Aaron Bellazin (6-2, 230), Everman - Offers from SMU, New Mexico, San Diego State, Buffalo, ULM, SFA and UTEP. A quick, punishing defender that has a nose for the ball. Right now, Bellazin is UNT's top defensive recruit on the board. Signed Letter of Intent.

4). RB Brandin Byrd (5-11, 185, 4.5), Copperas Cove - Byrd committed early to UNT (6/28/09) along with his teammate WR Brelan Chancellor. Rushed for 1,061 in his senior season. Enrolled early. Signed Letter of Intent.

5). ATH Brelan Chancellor (5-9, 165, 4.4) Copperas Cove - a first-team all-District 12-5A selection as a running back, was recruited to be a slot receiver. Enrolled early. Signed Letter of Intent.

6). S Ryan Downing (6-1, 200) Butler (Kan.) CC - Passed on an offer from Northern Illinois and played at a high level of competition in the Kansas Juco league. Signed Letter of Intent.

7). LB Blake Dunham (6-2, 200) Argyle - Linebacker that logged 123 tackles in his senior season. Excellent deep snapper who will compete to replace Christian Davidson. Son of Mean Green announcer George Dunham.

8). OLB Brad Graham (6-0, 205) Navarro JC - Undersized but impressive credentials. 2009 NJCAA Football Player of the Year. Could play safety. Signed Letter of Intent.

9). CB Steven Ford (6-0, 190, 4.4) Fort Scott Community College - Top performer for one of the very best JUCO squads in the country. Quite possibly an immediate replacement for corner Adryan Adams. Offers from K-State, Tulsa and East Carolina. Signed Letter of Intent.

10). OL Graylin Hawkins (6-4, 250) Dallas Skyline - Hawkins is a project that has a large wingspan and frame to put on size. Clearly a redshirt candidate but could help down the road with his quick feet. Signed Letter of Intent.

11). S Jamison Hughes (6-1, 185) Pearl River (Miss.) C.C. - Hughes is an interesting Juco transfer that originally signed with Ole Miss, later transferred to Southern Miss and then Pearl River. He is now expected to compete for a starting position at North Texas. Signed Letter of Intent.

12). OLB Forlando Johnson (5-11, 208, 4.6) Butler (Kan.) CC - possibly the most talented JUCO transfer that should make an immediate impact. Johnson was a preseason JUCO All American but suffered a knee injury and missed the first three games of the season. Still finished with 57 tackles garnering 1st team All Conference honors and will be looking to prove his critics wrong. Signed Letter of Intent.

13). CB DeLeon McCord (6-0, 185) Butler (Kan.) CC - Should be an immediate contributor to the Mean Green secondary. Logged 30 tackles in his senior season. Signed Letter of Intent.

14). K Zach Olen, Richardson Berkner - Honorable Mention All State Kicker with huge leg. Should provide an immediate boost to North Texas special teams. Signed Letter of Intent.

15). LB Zach Orr (5-10, 225) DeSoto - Dark horse for top defensive recruit honors, Orr had offers from Tulsa, Louisiana Tech, San Diego State and UTEP. Probably would have had more offers if he hadn't suffered a pinched nerve in his shoulder in his senior season. Was a 1st Team 5A All State Linebacker as a junior. Signed Letter of Intent.

16). OL Mason Y'Barbo (6-2, 300) Sulphur Springs - Offers from Houston and Northwestern State. Physical player that was just a couple of inches short from being at a BCS program. Left guard that could also play center or be a deep snapper. Signed Letter of Intent.

17). DE Ryan Boutwell (6-3, 225) China Springs - Boutwell originally signed in 2009 but an injury forced him to sit out the season and grayshirt. Signed Letter of Intent.

18). DE/LB Julian Herron (6-0, 205) Arlington Bowie / SMU - Highly rated prospect that signed with SMU out of high school and was released by June Jones. Transferred to UNT and is expected to compete at linebacker and defenisve end. Undersized but outstanding speed. Should have 3-years of eligibility left. Signed Letter of Intent.

19). OL Antonio Johnson (6-6, 270) Diboll - Good size and feet from a smaller school. Protypical offensive tackle frame. Projects to be a redshirt at the offensive tackle position. Was offered by ULM and UTEP. Signed Letter of Intent.

20). S Will Wright Jr. (6-2, 200, 4.5) South Garland - Good size and and speed at a key need position. 1st team all district selection. Had interest from TCU and was offered by UTEP. Signed Letter of Intent.

21). DE Michael Miller (6-3, 260) Antelope Valley (Calif.) CC - Perhaps the key to the entire class in that he has the tools and size to play the strongside defensive end position from day 1. Recruited by Defensive Line Coach Mike Nelson. Signed Letter of Intent.

22). TE Jamize Olawale (6-2, 237) El Camino (Calif) CC - Olawale will help replace Bryant Seidle at tight end and gives UNT a good sized target with wheels. A good fit for the revamped tight end utilized offense implemented by new offensive coordinator Mike "Chico" Canales. Signed Letter of Intent.

23). CB D'Andre Wood (6-0, 192) New Mexico Military Inst - Wood was the highest ranked UNT signee and has lockdown corner abilities. Will be the fastest Mean Green player the day he sets foot on campus and should be in the hunt for a starting cornerback position to replace Adryan Adams. Signed Letter of Intent.

24). WR Christopher Bynes (6-1, 210, 4.6) Coffeyville CC, Kansas - Bynes reminded Coach Dodge of former UNT WR Brandon Jackson. Caught 25 receptions for 282 yards as a sophomore. Signed Letter of Intent.

25). DT Richard Abbe (6-4, 290) Lubbock Monterey - Abbe is a big, strong player with good feet. UNT is looking for him to help solidify the defensive line but could also help them on the offensive line. Despite Monterey instituting a new offense, the Plainsmen still had a potent ground game that improved throughout the season. It was led by the veteran Abbe, who guided the way for 203.8 rushing yards per game. Signed Letter of Intent.

26). QB Derrick Teegarden (6-0, 170, 4.7) Odessa - helped guide the Bronchos back to the playoffs for the second year in a row, the first time OHS had made back-to-back trips to the postseason since the 1940s. Teegarden completed 155 of 224 passes for 1,911 yards and 18 touchdowns with four interceptions and finished with more than 5,100 yards passing and 51 touchdown passes in his career. Signed Letter of Intent.