Hall Status

Cooley

Per Rivals, will visit LSU on 1/30. Will find out then if they will offer. Also likes UTEP, but UNT is alright as of 1/18.

Don't have a problem with it. Jordan Taylor (QB,WR) from Denison has orally committed to Rice but will visit NT this weekend. Taylor had an in home visit with Coach Dodge Monday.

Edited by Marty

Rivals lists Taylor as an Athlete, 6-5, 200, 4.5, Rivals 5.4 rating-2 stars.

10 schools of interest, Big 12, Big 10, MWC, CUSA -- that many D1 schools listed

but only a 5.4 score?

Offers from Rice, Northwestern, Utah

Commited to Rice Friday 01/15.

Marty's posting states Coach Dodge had a in home visit, Monday 01/18

Interesting!

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recr...an-Taylor-87141

Rivals lists Taylor as an Athlete, 6-5, 200, 4.5, Rivals 5.4 rating-2 stars.

10 schools of interest, Big 12, Big 10, MWC, CUSA -- that many D1 schools listed

but only a 5.4 score?

Offers from Rice, Northwestern, Utah

Commited to Rice Friday 01/15.

Marty's posting states Coach Dodge had a in home visit, Monday 01/18

Interesting!

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recr...an-Taylor-87141

Taylor is being recruited to play WR (where he played his Sophomore season) at Rice. But, 6'5", 200 is great size for an FBS QB. Denison made the 4-A state semifinals this year. While they focused on the running game, the QB was obviously doing something right. Taylor was a true dual-threat QB with 2472 passing yards and 1356 rushing yards. He averaged over 12 carries per game and surpassed the 100 yard rushing mark four times. When he was passing the ball, he had a 66% completion rate with 27 TDs and 7 INTs. While RB, D.J. Jones, was the stud for Denison and got all the recognition for their success, I don't think you can discount the benefit he received from Taylor's threat to run. D.J. Jones is a 4-star Rivals recruit and has committed to TAMU. I would be excited to have Taylor.

I'm guessing Rice believes he is more valuable and polished as WR and he may want to continue playing baseball at Rice. I wonder if Dodge would ask him to play WR too? Or, would this be another guy for us to add to our stable of QBs that wouldn't play QB at any other FBS school?? :P

I'm guessing Rice believes he is more valuable and polished as WR and he may want to continue playing baseball at Rice. I wonder if Dodge would ask him to play WR too? Or, would this be another guy for us to add to our stable of QBs that wouldn't play QB at any other FBS school?? :P

The possibility of playing baseball will probably be the key. That's one of the things that Rice can offer that we can't. Taylor is a heckuva baseball player also.

Were you a fan of Scott Hall?

Didn't expect TFLF to respond to this one because Hall signed with North Texas because they offered him the chance to play quarterback, something the "bigger programs" recruiting him weren't going to do. Hall seemed to turn out alright. A lot of experts expected Ryan Leaf to be a great pro quarterback too while many didn't give Drew Brees a fighting chance.

emmit, please don't compare Hall to WW. WW was an athlete playing QB. The more appropriate, and I hope accurate, would be Cooley's when he stated "this is Andrew Smith in the spread."

Didn't expect TFLF to respond to this one because Hall signed with North Texas because they offered him the chance to play quarterback, something the "bigger programs" recruiting him weren't going to do. Hall seemed to turn out alright. A lot of experts expected Ryan Leaf to be a great pro quarterback too while many didn't give Drew Brees a fighting chance.

emmit, please don't compare Hall to WW. WW was an athlete playing QB. The more appropriate, and I hope accurate, would be Cooley's when he stated "this is Andrew Smith in the spread."

My point was that the guy managed to win a little bit though he was pegged as an "athlete." SMU game anybody? It's no secret that I always liked him more than some on this board.

Scott Hall was 6-2 and 210-215. Riley is 5-9 or 10 and 180 if he's soaking wet with rocks in his pockets. Yes, I'll take Scott Hall any day of the week over Riley Dodge at QB.

Riley is 5'9" on his tippy toes.

I see nothing wrong with commenting on current players' and recruits' athletic abilities, game performance, or stats. They expect it, and have experienced it through High School as the stud on their team. It's when the remarks get personal that the line is crossed.

Edited by UNT90

I wouldn't be surprised if JH committs to another school. It's a risk you take as a "small time" school with a recently dreadful winning percentage.

If he keeps his verbal with us, I would be really looking forward to Hall signing and PLAYING QB here at NT. Good things have happened at NT when we have a Hall on our roster playing QB. ;)

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1

Figures. Although I thought he would decommit for a better program than UTEP.

No wonder Dodge was in the other QB's living room on Monday.

Trevor Vittatoe will be a senior next year and Rivals doesn't show any other QB commits for UTEP so I guess this makes sense. A quick look at their roster shows 3 freshman, 1 RS freshman, and another junior QB besides Vittatoe.

Trevor Vittatoe will be a senior next year and Rivals doesn't show any other QB commits for UTEP so I guess this makes sense. A quick look at their roster shows 3 freshman, 1 RS freshman, and another junior QB besides Vittatoe.

He wont touch the field there for a while. The redshirt freshman was highly praised in spring ball as Vittatoes replacement. His name is Tim Curry, a 6'4 pocket passer from a small town in East Texas called Elysian Fields.

Edited by jtm0097

Why? If (when) Dodge doesn't post a winning record and is gone I don't see Riley being here either without daddy. Hall could have redshirted and then been in pretty good shape to take the job.

Because coaches who have spent their careers sending kids to the NFL, like Price and Miles, have probably gotten in his ear and told him his best shot beyond college is at another position.

What I can't fathom is why our bar is set so low at quarterback. Get the Taylor kid for Denison. His QB upside is far greater than either Dodge or Hall. He's bigger, he's stronger. He's raw and will sit for a year. But, I like the idea of him training with Charr Gahagan for a year or two and getting into the 215-225 range. I think Taylor a longshot, but I'm glad we're looking in that direction.

Why? If (when) Dodge doesn't post a winning record and is gone I don't see Riley being here either without daddy. Hall could have redshirted and then been in pretty good shape to take the job.

The uncertainty about Tdodge being around after next season probably figured into this. New coaches tend to like their own qb choices, not someone elses leftovers. Note Linclon Riley's comments (sounds like he's already dumping the backup and ready to look for his own guy)...

The ECU backup quarterback was Josh Jordan, a 6-4, 218-pound freshman who completed just 5-of-7 passes for 61 yards and no touchdowns. But in a spread offense where footballs fly as much as birds in the sky, Riley knows he'll find a capable quarterback.

"There's enough quarterbacks that want to go throw it, so we'll go find the best guy we can and go to work,'' Riley said. "Finding a quarterback won't be a problem.

"Whenever you have this (spread) offense, there will be quaterbacks, because they want to throw the ball.''