Hall Status

Cooley

Right, Emmitt, like he'd get tons of playing time at LSU! :unsure: Hall could very well end up playing a great deal at UNT. Seems many here think Riley is injury prone and won't last a season, so even if Riley plays as #1 the next three years, would that give Hall lots of playing time if all the medical experts we have here on the board are correct about Riley's injury prospects?????

Hall would do well to stay with UNT. I think he would be very happy at UNT. It's a great place to get an education and play some ball. GO MEAN GREEN! remember, it's that "LaLa time" just before signing day and these are kids we are talking about, and each one seem themselves at this point as a future NFL Hall of Fame-er. Hey, I hope they are....

Right, Emmitt, like he'd get tons of playing time at LSU! :unsure: Hall could very well end up playing a great deal at UNT. Seems many here think Riley is injury prone and won't last a season, so even if Riley plays as #1 the next three years, would that give Hall lots of playing time if all the medical experts we have here on the board are correct about Riley's injury prospects?????

Hall would do well to stay with UNT. I think he would be very happy at UNT. It's a great place to get an education and play some ball. GO MEAN GREEN! remember, it's that "LaLa time" just before signing day and these are kids we are talking about, and each one seem themselves at this point as a future NFL Hall of Fame-er. Hey, I hope they are....

So you also assume Derek Thompson is not better than Hall and is also injury prone? or will Thompson spend one more year get 5 minutes of PT and then transfer to an FCS school?

So you also assume Derek Thompson is not better than Hall and is also injury prone? or will Thompson spend one more year get 5 minutes of PT and then transfer to an FCS school?

Where would Hall go and get no competition? I suspect it would be a little tougher at LSU, completing against coaches' son or not. Does anyone know if LSU is even recruiting him as a QB?

I like the fact that he is visiting LSU, mainly because I don't see them offering. They already have 24 commits including one from one of the top QB prospects 4* Zach Lee.

I really like Hall and hope he ends up in Green come Feb.

NEWSFLASH: LSU wouldn't use him as a quarterback. They'd redshirt him, and sit him a year beyond that to get some weight on him, while moving him to WR or DB. We're the only FBS school in the country that will use him there...just like with Riley.

NEWSFLASH: LSU wouldn't use him as a quarterback. They'd redshirt him, and sit him a year beyond that to get some weight on him, while moving him to WR or DB. We're the only FBS school in the country that will use him there...just like with Riley.

Yea we are so dumb we would use the 34th best QB recruit in the country as a QB! Jeez!

Please note the sarcasm.. I think you're trying to hard here smart guy

It really doesn't take all that much effort. You just read scouting reports prepared by coaches and scouts, and look at the kid. Yes, I know this varies from believing the stat geeks and journalists at Rivals. But, it is what it is.

The fact remains, if Hall stays with us, he'll be miscast at QB. If he goes to LSU, or elsewhere, they'll move him to a position where he can succeed in the college game.

In that, Todd Dodge is different than the other 119 other FBS coaches - he likes his QB to be too small to play the position. He doesn't seem to mind the interceptions, fumbles, and injuries that come with trodding that path. Other coaches assemble teams to win and put players in the best position to do so. We'll have such a coach in 2011.

It really doesn't take all that much effort. You just read scouting reports prepared by coaches and scouts, and look at the kid. Yes, I know this varies from believing the stat geeks and journalists at Rivals. But, it is what it is.

You do know that Rivals also has ex-coaches and scouts on its staff, right?

The fact remains, if Hall stays with us, he'll be miscast at QB. If he goes to LSU, or elsewhere, they'll move him to a position where he can succeed in the college game.

In that, Todd Dodge is different than the other 119 other FBS coaches - he likes his QB to be too small to play the position. He doesn't seem to mind the interceptions, fumbles, and injuries that come with trodding that path. Other coaches assemble teams to win and put players in the best position to do so. We'll have such a coach in 2011.

He is 6'2" 175lbs. That is all of 1 inch and 10 pounds less than Scotty Young of Ryan.....Dodge wants guys that can run and pass and this is a guy that can do both....

Lately I'm on board with you 90% of the time (someone has to refute Kram's baseless optimism) but I gotta say I disagree completely here. I don't disagree that perhaps he doesn't have the perfect size to be a QB, I disagree with disparaging him on this forum. If, and I know it's a big "if", the kid or anyone he knows reads this board all they see is that our fanbase expects "interceptions, fumbles and injuries" out of him should he sign. Furthermore, they see that not even our most ardent fans expect him to be able to succeed here as a QB. If the kid has his heart set on QB then why would he come to where nobody expects him to excel? Add to this that if the kid signs, realizes he is not a QB or won't get a fair shot to be one (more likely), he could always decide to be a safety or whatever for US. Let's lay off on the digs on this recruiting class until they're actually signed. What does it accomplish? Are better prospects gonna magically come here because we say the ones who do want to play at NT are inadequate?

Besides, I think I remember another kid whose only offer to play QB was at NT and was expected to be an SEC DB. I kinda liked Woody Wilson.

Edited by emmitt01

Lately I'm on board with you 90% of the time (someone has to refute Kram's baseless optimism) but I gotta say I disagree completely here. I don't disagree that perhaps he doesn't have the perfect size to be a QB, I disagree with disparaging him on this forum. If, and I know it's a big "if", the kid or anyone he knows reads this board all they see is that our fanbase expects "interceptions, fumbles and injuries" out of him should he sign. Furthermore, they see that not even our most ardent fans expect him to be able to succeed here as a QB. If the kid has his heart set on QB then why would he come to where nobody expects him to excel? Add to this that if the kid signs, realizes he is not a QB or won't get a fair shot to be one (more likely), he could always decide to be a safety or whatever for US. Let's lay off on the digs on this recruiting class until they're actually signed. What does it accomplish? Are better prospects gonna magically come here because we say the ones who do want to play at NT are inadequate?

Besides, I think I remember another kid whose only offer to play QB was at NT and was expected to be an SEC DB. I kinda liked Woody Wilson.

Agree 100%. Some things we all (self included) need to think about before posting, and I would say it goes beyond unsigned commits.

Well, we're about to find out, aren't we?

Scouts, Inc. was on the money in their assessment of Riley. And, I'm sure it will be no different with Javia.

Fortunately, I think we'll have a different head coach before we have to cross the bridge - someone who will have sense enough to move both Riley and Javia while signing some legitimate FBS-worthy quarterback prospects.

Were you a fan of Scott Hall?

Baseless optimism? I definitely have a base to my optimism, but thanks for noticing.

Yep, let's not say potentially negative things about a possible signee, let's reserve all the Emmitt negatives for current players and current coaches... especially our starting QB and head coach. That makes them all warm and fuzzy about playing and coaching for UNT I am sure!

Point is...why say anything negative about prospective or current players? Such negative comments about student-athletes should be verboten on this board. As members of the Mean Green Nation we should really know better than that. Think about it if you can get past your baseless negativity that is. :P

Well, we're about to find out, aren't we?

Scouts, Inc. was on the money in their assessment of Riley. And, I'm sure it will be no different with Javia.

Fortunately, I think we'll have a different head coach before we have to cross the bridge - someone who will have sense enough to move both Riley and Javia while signing some legitimate FBS-worthy quarterback prospects.

This is getting old even for someone who is not a Todd Dodge fan. How in the world do you know what Riley Dodge is going to accomplish over the next three years. I believe that most rationale fans would conclude that that it is way too early to write him off as a QB as he had a decent, not great first year. There seems to be a lot more than the on the field play that is fueling your fanaticism with this topic. My biggest concern with Riley is can he play a season mostly injury free. As far as heart and quarterback leadership, I think he as very positively answered those questions.

Edited by GrandGreen

I feel confident Hall will sign with the Mean Green. Not only is he a QB but potentially a great one (at a mid-lower level D1) Though he is very quick and elusive in the pocket, the fastest 40 time I have seen is 4.65. What other position could he play? The kid has a rifle that played his entire senior season (without getting hurt) with no picks. In 2-yrs, the kid will be 200 lbs on his 6-2 frame. This kid is Andrew Smith in the spread!