The Great Abner Haynes This Morning In Fort Worth

FirefightnRick

The kids and I headed over to the Fort Worth Stock show this morning to see Mean Green great Abner Haynes, along with Cowboy greats Charlie Waters and Rayfield Wright participate in the Star Telegram's Century in the making ballot voting at their display. Luckily, we got there before the crowds and caught up with Mr. Haynes and his family in the foyer. He signed my FFR helmet and we took some photos with he and his grandson. I told him how very proud we all are of him and how proud we are that such a trailblazer as he and Leon King are both from North Texas. He was extremely nice. He said he talks North Texas up and promotes Mean Green football every opportunity he gets.

img_6456_500x375.jpg

When I asked for the autograph and pulled the helmet out of a bag I had it in Mr. Haynes got a huge smile on his face. I was hoping he wouldn't mind because some do? You could tell he's still very proud of his accomplishments at North Texas. A Star Telegram photographer was nice enough to take our photo here as well as of Mr. Haynes autographing the helmet.

img_6477_500x375.jpg

Charlie Waters, Abner Haynes and Rayfield Wright completing their ballots.

img_6483_500x375.jpg

Mr. Haynes autographing his display poster.

img_6465_500x375.jpg

The Star Telegram "Century In the Making" display booth is first rate.

img_6461_500x375.jpg

To our delight we saw this poster of Super Jamario Thomas and Patrick "The Emerald Express" Cobbs also up in the display. The Mean Green is well represented in this event, and I suspect Mean Joe Greene will also attend at some point later during the Stock show.

I'm very proud of the fact that they only chose 12 members to serve on the committee for this event and North Texas has two of it's alumni serving on it.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Excellent, Rick...and, by the way, what you and your "kiddos" did also helped to spread the word about UNT and UNT football as well. I, as a very proud member of the Mean Green nation, am very happy to see others not "embarrassed" to display their pride for UNT.

I have a football card autographed by Abner Haynes from back in the days he was with the Dallas Texans. How I loved, as a kid, to go to the Cotton Bowl and watch the Texans and Abner, and Len, E J, etc. play. Such fun.

Wish I was there with you and the "kiddos" Saturday...great photo by the way. Thanks for posting.

GO MEAN GREEN!