Who's On Your Oc Short List?

gangrene

I'll go ahead and start this inevitable thread, not because our input will be considered, but because it's fun and exciting to dream. Please post a bio link and add any comments you wish to support your choice:

Tony Franklin, OC MTSU (current salary $103,000) - Has been running the spread for 10+ years and I think he's within our budget. In addition, it could help up by making one of conference opponents weaker.

Steve Axman, OC Idaho (current salary - $116,605) - mentioned by Side Show Joe in another thread

Lincoln Riley, former WR coach, Texas Tech (former salary $197,500/current salary $0)- although very young for an OC, he's my choice as I stated in this thread. I'll add that, since Riley currently has no job, he'd might accept our measly salary offering.

Dana Holgerson, OC Houston (current salary $187,200) - At more than double what Todd Ford was earning, his current salary is probably too high for us to be able to afford to lure him away from Houston.

Mike Canales, OC USF - (current salary $202,600) With Leavitt's recent firing, his job may be in jeopardy too. What he lacks in spread offense experience, he more than makes up for in overall collegiate and NFL coaching experience. He'd have to take a big pay cut and/or have virtually zero offers if USF's new head coach decides not to retain him.

Dave Schramm, OC Utah - (current salary $160,000) - Again, it would probably take a substantial salary increase to lure him away from a successful program for the same position at UNT. UNT hasn't shown a willingness to pay that kind of money to hire top coaches. But, he did spend one year at Texas State and he held the title of Recruiting Coordinator for 15 years, so he has a lot to offer.

Aaron Roderick, WR coach, Utah - (current salary - $130,000) - Another option from a successful Utah program. He may view an OC position at UNT as an upgrade and an opportunity, even though the salary may not be indicative of such. He held the positions of OC/Recruiting Coordinator at Southern Utah for two years, prior to being hired on the Utah staff. However, he's a born-and-bred Utah guy, who played at BYU, so he may be reluctant to leave his home state.

Ok, so maybe this isn't a "short list" but, at the minimum, guys I believe are worthy of a phone call.

I'll go ahead and start this inevitable thread, not because our input will be considered, but because it's fun and exciting to dream. Please post a bio link and add any comments you wish to support your choice:

Tony Franklin, OC MTSU (current salary $103,000) - Has been running the spread for 10+ years and I think he's within our budget. In addition, it could help up by making one of conference opponents weaker.

Steve Axman, OC Idaho (current salary - $116,605) - mentioned by Side Show Joe in another thread

Lincoln Riley, former WR coach, Texas Tech (former salary $197,500/current salary $0)- although very young for an OC, he's my choice as I stated in this thread. I'll add that, since Riley currently has no job, he'd might accept our measly salary offering.

Dana Holgerson, OC Houston (current salary $187,200) - At more than double what Todd Ford was earning, his current salary is probably too high for us to be able to afford to lure him away from Houston.

Mike Canales, OC USF - (current salary $202,600) With Leavitt's recent firing, his job may be in jeopardy too. What he lacks in spread offense experience, he more than makes up for in overall collegiate and NFL coaching experience. He'd have to take a big pay cut and/or have virtually zero offers if USF's new head coach decides not to retain him.

Dave Schramm, OC Utah - (current salary $160,000) - Again, it would probably take a substantial salary increase to lure him away from a successful program for the same position at UNT. UNT hasn't shown a willingness to pay that kind of money to hire top coaches. But, he did spend one year at Texas State and he held the title of Recruiting Coordinator for 15 years, so he has a lot to offer.

Aaron Roderick, WR coach, Utah - (current salary - $130,000) - Another option from a successful Utah program. He may view an OC position at UNT as an upgrade and an opportunity, even though the salary may not be indicative of such. He held the positions of OC/Recruiting Coordinator at Southern Utah for two years, prior to being hired on the Utah staff. However, he's a born-and-bred Utah guy, who played at BYU, so he may be reluctant to leave his home state.

Ok, so maybe this isn't a "short list" but, at the minimum, guys I believe are worthy of a phone call.

Are you out of your mind?

• Downvote 1

I'll throw the name I mentioned throughout the season out there again: Chris Thomsen at ACU.

He'd be giving up stability and security, but then again he's already been looking for a new job since his breakthrough year a few seasons back.

He may think that even in the worst case, we may need an interim coach for a few games that could be his audition for the 1-AA HC job he hasn't been able to land yet or an OC job elsewhere in D-1.

• Upvote 1

:surrender: Damn, it's hard to be a Mean Green fan. Why do we even bother trying to play FBS football if we can't even afford to pay an OC the kind of money other schools are paying position coaches? Why do we have fans/alumni/supporters that continue to follow the program when they have zero confidence we'll ever get serious about bringing in and paying for real coaching talent? What a joke this program is. Let's just quit pretending we want to field a legitimate football team, dismantle the program and redirect all of the funds towards basketball or softball or soccer. And let's do it now before we spend any more money constructing a stadium that will never see a winning UNT football season. Edited by gangrene

Steve Axman called a great game for Idaho in their bowl victory over Bowling Green. I thought it was the best game of the bowl season. Idaho's offense had to come from behind to win that game. i'd like to have an offense that can do that.

Like I said in another post, Axman's offense ranked 20th in the country in scoring offense, and 9th in total offense, and is similar to ours. He has experince coaching in the PAC 10 and the ACC, and I think we can afford him.

I would like to believe that the school will do everything it can to find a way to up the OC salary and hire some accomplished up and comer away from a successful FBS program. Sadly, I have never seen any evidence to suggest that they will attempt this.

I'm almost ready to play one additional "money" game a year, if the revenue could be used to hire a couple brilliant and proven assistants.