The Case For Lincoln Riley As Oc

gangrene

Lincoln Riley bio

Yes, he is young at 26, but so is Tech's new/Troy's former OC, Neal Brown, who is 29. Riley has a wealth of experience in both playing and coaching the spread offense. As Texas Tech WR coach, he was instrumental in the development of Michael Crabtree and, prior to that, he worked with Tech QBs (B.J. Symons, Sonny Cumbie, Cody Hodges and Graham Harrell) as a graduate assistant. In addition, he's a fine recruiter. Scotty Young was quoted as saying that his commitment to Tech is largely dependent on Riley remaining at Tech. (No, I don't believe Riley coming to UNT would result in Young committing to UNT.) Now that Riley has had a taste of being an OC, I'm sure he wants more of it. With Tuberville's hiring of Brown, Riley may be bitter that he was passed over by someone with similar credentials. Also, there is a possibility that Leach could be hired soon and come calling on his former assistants. I think the timing to talk with Riley is ripe right now.

Gil Brandt may be old, but I still trust his judgment in spotting talent and he had some very good things to say about Riley and his future: Gil Brandt says Texas Tech’s Lincoln Riley reminds him of Mack Brown

Would he accept an OC job at UNT?? We'll never know if we don't ask.

Lincoln Riley bio

Gil Brandt may be old, but I still trust his judgment in spotting talent and he had some very good things to say about Riley and his future: Gil Brandt says Texas Tech’s Lincoln Riley reminds him of Mack Brown

Would he accept an OC job at UNT?? We'll never know if we don't ask.

He said it would take Riley about three decades of coaching to produce his first conference title winner?

This just in - apparently, Lincoln Riley is now available as he was just fired this morning, along with ST Coach, Erik Russell and CB Coach, Brian Mitchell:

http://twitter.com/bfeldmanESPN

Erik Russell would be the smart hire at this time and price but doubt he would want to come back to a staff on the brink again.

Edited by NT80

I think that Dodge does call the offensive plays and therefore should just name himself OC and use the position opening to hire Erik Russell. It seems like he did a great job at North Texas coaching special teams; we could just have him take over the entire responsibility for special teams and get away from the disaster that our kicking game has been. We'll never become a winning team with the ST meltdowns that have been with us during the Dodge era.

I think that Dodge does call the offensive plays and therefore should just name himself OC and use the position opening to hire Erik Russell. It seems like he did a great job at North Texas coaching special teams; we could just have him take over the entire responsibility for special teams and get away from the disaster that our kicking game has been. We'll never become a winning team with the ST meltdowns that have been with us during the Dodge era.

Or, Dodge could give the OC title to Gandy (since Gandy is the ST coordinator and an offensive position coach), continue to handle the playcalling himself, and then hire Russell as the new ST coordinator to replace Gandy.

Gandy gets a promotion and gets to continue focusing on his talent for recruiting. Dodge gets to keep his hand on the reigns of the offense. Russell gets to come home and continue developing the special teams.

Edited by TheTastyGreek

Or, Dodge could give the OC title to Gandy (since Gandy is the ST coordinator and an offensive position coach), continue to handle the playcalling himself, and then hire Russell as the new ST coordinator to replace Gandy.

Gandy gets a promotion and gets to continue focusing on his talent for recruiting. Dodge gets to keep his hand on the reigns of the offense. Russell gets to come home and continue developing the special teams.

I like it. Gandy probably stays quite busy at recruiting; most of his football experience is in the running game, which he has coached as well as anyone here could. That could give allow him to focus on the one aspect of our offense where we have abundant talent but need better offensive schemes to make it work better. Our special teams play needs one (and only one, with no other responsibilities)coach to make it work. Russell has been that person before and could be again.