Lane Kiffin To Usc

Mean Green 93-98

Where are the mods these days? Why do all these non-UNT football threads get started and remain on the Mean Green football thread site? I am not saying they should not be posted or discussed, but I am beginning to wonder about the reading capabilities of a few of our GMG.com folks. Can one not read that this thread is reserved for UNT football matters/topics?

Good stuff to discuss, indeed, but can't they be started in another thread more appropriate to the topic?

Well, now that we have an opening at OC, these coaching shuffles seem more connected to UNT football.

Troy Calhoun of Air Force and Gary Patterson of TCU, among others, Link:

Vols HC search

I like both Calhoun and Patterson. But, they are not coaches who can succeed in the SEC, which is heavy on defense and the run game. Calhoun would be way out of his league there. Patterson's defense works great where he is. But, it's unlikely his unorthodox defense would stand up week after week in the SEC where teams pound you relentlessly.

Plus, the college football world has now seen Patterson under the klieg lights, and it wasn't great. I think Patterson understand that, barring verbal or physical abuse of player, he could have his million dollar job at TCU until he goes to his grave.

Patterson against BCS schools:

Nebraska 21, TCU 7

Texas A&M 28, TCU 9

TCU 13, Arizona 10

TCU 48, Northwestern 45

Texas Tech 70, TCU 35

TCU 17, Oklahoma 10

TCU 27, Iowa State 24

TCU 17, Baylor 7

TCU 12, Texas Tech 3

TCU 27, Baylor 0

Texas 34, TCU 13

TCU 38, Stanford 36

TCU 31, Stanford 14

Oklahoma 35, TCU 10

TCU 30, Virginia 14

TCU 14, Clemson 10

Patterson's 11-5 against BCS conference schools - but, he's never coached against an SEC school. Plus, his penchant for recruiting is pretty much limited to finding diamonds in the rough around Texas. There's not much of a national presence on the TCU roster. Tennessee needs a guy who can continue to bring in guys nationally, which has been part of what makes colleges like Tennessee, Oklahoma, and Nebraska successful despite their smaller populations.

I'd think Tennessee goes with a former head coach for that region who is currently without a job. Or, with an assistant or coordinator with an equally big name program.

I just don't think Patterson would be the type to stoop down to the lower level of ethics that is played in the SEC recruiting game by the other coaches.

I really don't want to see him leave , he's build a good thing in Ft Worth and he's not done improving that program.

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 1

I just don't think Patterson would be the type to stoop down to the lower level of ethics that is played in the SEC recruiting game by the other coaches.

I really don't want to see him leave , he's build a good thing in Ft Worth and he's not done improving that program.

Well...that...and there are no ding dong schools in the SEC like he sees in the MWC. You get no break in the SEC. Even the "bad" teams often play the lead dogs close.

How much longer do you think Brown will be coach at UT? I figure someone at some point if not soon, will hire Muschamp away.

I read an article on Muschamp during the days leading up to the big game, and the writer said he had it from sources at UT that Brown was going to coach 3 more years. Dodds, the AD is getting up there to, so it would not surprise me if Brown took his job. Dodds is in his early 70's.

I read an article on Muschamp during the days leading up to the big game, and the writer said he had it from sources at UT that Brown was going to coach 3 more years. Dodds, the AD is getting up there to, so it would not surprise me if Brown took his job. Dodds is in his early 70's.

That would make a lot of sense. Brown is very popular with the alums. Texas has a history of requiring coaches to be football winners and golf alumni smooziers. Mack Brown is good at both.

Moving Brown to the AD's spot would actually be a great move for the university. Then Mack could campaign for ALL tu sports teams to be in the championship game.

Ooooo...think of all the date nights!

Tennessee should look in to Mike Shula. I know he's a has been for Bama but he's someone that had a good team in Bama and many of those players Saban had last year and this season were Shula's recruits. I know its not the sexiest name but it is a guy I would consider.

I've been thinking that RV should give Shula a call because I think he would be a great fit here at NT. Currently the QB Coach for the Jacksonville Jaguars and he's probably looking to be a HC again and if UNTFLYER is on target by saying that we can probably give our coach 500-600k/yr with the fee going into play and all...then why the heck not and give Shula a call?

Edited by Green Mean

Looks like Muschamp is still in play at Tennessee. Vols allegedly offering 3 mil/per.

Linked in another thread: http://www.footballscoop.com/?cat=24

Tennessee: ESPN is reporting Tennessee has talked with David Cutcliffe.

Tennessee: FootballScoop has confirmed that Muschamp is remaining at Texas.

ESPN story

Apparently Muschamp is staying put. Hard to believe he would turn down $3 million +/yr. The only reason it would make sense is if he knows Mack is leaving very soon, probably 3 years or less.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

Not THAT hard to believe. The Texas job would be a dream job for many...much better than the Tennessee job in my opinion. And, while $900K is not $3M (obviously), one can live quite well in Austin for $900K per year. I also think we'll see a raise for Muschamp coming along very quickly to push his salary up over $1M. I think his staying at Texas makes perfect sense and is a pretty good way to go.

But, if he wanted to come to UNT, well, THAT would be a whole different story! :unsure:

GO MEAN GREEN!

Reports are starting to surface that Air Force HC, Troy Calhoun, will be named the new Tennessee HC as early as tomorrow. *****Edit, this now appears to be untrue. LOL at Tennessee - no one wants to coach there. What's Fulmer up to? Maybe they can bring him back to the rocky top?? Still, you've got to imagine some relevant FBS coach will eventually accept the HC job at Tennessee and, once that happens, you'll have more staff moves.*****

This is one crazy coaching carousel that is going on right now, right before national signing day (February 3). There are so many quality assistant coaches in flux right that we'd be foolish not to go after some of them.

Edited by gangrene

Reports are starting to surface that Air Force HC, Troy Calhoun, will be named the new Tennessee HC as early as tomorrow.

Nope.

We are more than grateful and proud to be closely involved with the character building of our cadets and the mission of the United States Air Force Academy. We are diligently recruiting and working with our team to prepare for the upcoming season. We look forward to coaching and being a part of the Air Force Academy team both on and off the field in 2010.

Link

Nope.

You beat me to it...I just revised my last post. It looks like no one wants to go to Knoxville.

Wow!! Even Fulmer has declined returning (not that he was "officially" offered).

Former football coach Fulmer calls Kiffin's departure 'embarrassment' to Tennessee

Fulmer, who does analysis for CBS College Sports, released a statement Thursday morning through the network. He also said he would not seek to return to his old job, something athletic director Mike Hamilton denied would happened on Wednesday anyway.

Edited by gangrene

A lot of names being floated around. Apparently, LaTech's Derek Dooley is in the running along with Cutliffe: http://dennis-dodd.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc...270202/19573085

The Tennessee message board attributed a quote to Bob Stoops: “Trust me. If Tennessee offers, it will happen.” I'm highly skeptical.