Former Fiu Ad Blasts College Football Playoffs

Quoner

Other than the finals and recovery(bruises and torn ligaments are the same no matter your size) arguments, this guy gets it. One big party for us and one and done trip with parties and goodies for the players.

I still must ask. WTF are we (especially at non AQ schools like ours) worried about a damn national champ anyway. I am about to start calling you playoff wishers "National Champ Douche". Oh, I just did.

Nice column Mr Henry.

XOXO,

Bowl Douche

"Actually, it doesn't work. Those playoffs lose money and must be supported by surplus revenues from the Final Four. When Appalachian State played at Montana last month, only a handful of App. State fans made the trek to Missoula, Mont. Similarly, playoff games would have to be played on college campus sites to ensure a crowd for rounds one through three."

-Anti-playoff douche, former non-AQ AD, now at an AQ school

Oh, so because Appalachian State fans don't travel well, FBS fans wouldn't. Oklahoma, USC, Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas, etc. wouldn't sell out a game at their stadiums for a playoff? Give me a break. And, they wouldn't travel to see a playoff game? Give me another break.

It's laughable to compare the economics of App State versus Montana to what an FBS playoff would generate in money and interest. So stupid. The arguments against a playoff get thinner and thinner by the year. This one is the stupidest yet.

"Actually, it doesn't work. Those playoffs lose money and must be supported by surplus revenues from the Final Four. When Appalachian State played at Montana last month, only a handful of App. State fans made the trek to Missoula, Mont. Similarly, playoff games would have to be played on college campus sites to ensure a crowd for rounds one through three."

Oh, so because Appalachian State fans don't travel well, FBS fans wouldn't. Oklahoma, USC, Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas, etc. wouldn't sell out a game at their stadiums for a playoff? Give me a break. And, they wouldn't travel to see a playoff game? Give me another break.

It's laughable to compare the economics of App State versus Montana to what an FBS playoff would generate in money and interest. So stupid. The arguments against a playoff get thinner and thinner by the year. This one is the stupidest yet.

I'm kind of in the middle on the playoff thing (I think the current system is broken but also think it is a waste of time to brainstorm my idea for how to fix it), but I agree that using non-BCS teams travel performance is not the way to go. That's why I posted -- plus I knew cwb would enjoy it.

Yeah, I should probably get off of my soap box. But thanks for letting me know I have at least one other on my team. Go

Team Bowl Douche!

Oh, and let me know who wins the mythical championship tonight. Cause I don't give an rodent's equine since they ain't wearing green.

I'm kind of in the middle on the playoff thing (I think the current system is broken but also think it is a waste of time to brainstorm my idea for how to fix it), but I agree that using non-BCS teams travel performance is not the way to go. That's why I posted -- plus I knew cwb would enjoy it.

It's the most absurd way to go. Can you imagine the rich donors at various schools lamenting the travel aspect:

Sooner fan: Gosh, we have to travel all the way to Baton Rouge just to see our football team try to advance to the national title game. I just don't think it's worth it.

Longhorn fan: Yeah, well you think that's bad, our first round game is at home against Pitt. Those guys won't travel! How will we ever sell out DKR if the Panther fans don't show up? I mean App State fans won't even go to Montana for a game!

Sooner fan: Agreed, these playoff were a huge mistake. How will the networks and ESPN ever get advertisers to buy into this thing if Pitt fans won't even travel to Austin for a weekend to support their school? What a mess!

Longhorn fan: Well...it's 11:24...and OU still sucks!

Sooner fan: Get back to me when you've got seven national titles and five Heisman Trophy winners...or, I'll cut you some slack...get back to me when you've had seven Big 12 titles and a third Heisman winner!

Longhorn fan: So, see you at Barton Creek for a nine o'clock tee off?

Sooner fan: Better make it one-ish; our jet will need time for maintenance after the trip back from Jackson Hole.

If Georgia Tech was playing a second round game at Oregon, would the Jacket fans make the cross country trip on a week's notice or wait to see if the team won and would be playing closer to home next week?

Probably not... but I'm fairly certain the game would still be a sell out.

And what's wrong with a neutral site regional format (North, South, East, West) that plays to a Final Four at a pre-determined site? Surely Georgia Tech fans would travel to New Orleans or Orlando to see them play Troy and then Florida.

Mr. Henry uses the most extreme examples to make a weak case. Want to guarantee a post-season game for the Sun Belt?? Get 12 teams and hold a Championship game... but please, let's do it in New Orleans and not Hot Springs.

And what's wrong with a neutral site regional format (North, South, East, West) that plays to a Final Four at a pre-determined site? Surely Georgia Tech fans would travel to New Orleans or Orlando to see them play Troy UNT and then watch UNT play Florida.

Fixed it for ya...

Plus, we are talking about two extremely highly populated areas. I just don't understand why Montana couldn't sell out that game since there are so many locals.

Well, gosh. I hadn't heard this heart warming argument before:

"The championship teams get a ring All bowls give every player a $300 bag of gifts, and teams are allowed to supplement with another $300 bag of gifts."

I won't dismiss the value of the swag in such a cavalier manner as I previously had!

That guy is clueless, but just consider the source.

The writer is retired in Aiken following a 35-year career as a collegiate athletics administrator, including service as a Division I Athletics Director. He currently is an instructor in the master's program in Sport Management at the University of Alabama.

Just another BCS apologist using some of the lousiest examples concerning this issue you'll ever read.

I believe ArkStFan said research has showed that the possible income earnings from a playoff could generate well over $400 Million if done correctly.

Rick