Unlv Names Head Coach

NT80

I am watching interviews of Hauck right now and already like him. Sanford was a nice guy in a Wade sort of way, but he couldn't get it done. Not crushed that Franchione not locked back up in the MWC just in case.

GMG

I am watching interviews of Hauck right now and already like him. Sanford was a nice guy in a Wade sort of way, but he couldn't get it done. Not crushed that Franchione not locked back up in the MWC just in case.

GMG

If Coach Dodge fails this year, this is the path I would like to see us go down. Ignore the "name" hire and just hire a good football coach who has won it all at a lower level. This type of coach is used to navigating far bigger challenges (Facilities, recruiting, and funding) than the ones he would face at UNT.

Edited by UNT90

If Coach Dodge fails this year, this is the path I would like to see us go down. Ignore the "name" hire and just hire a good football coach who has won it all at a lower level. This type of coach is used to navigating far bigger challenges (Facilities, recruiting, and funding) than the ones he would face at UNT.

If Coach Dodge does not manage to get it done this year, I say go for the 40 year old OC / DC at big name a.q. school. Name recognition is nice and if we could get a coach Fran or someone like that then good but there has to be better value and more drive out there though with a coach entering their first HC gig, but this time coming from the college ranks of course.

Going after the lower level HC with success is a another route and you make a good point about his familiarity of the hurdles that he would face but I fear that is just looking at the last mistake, assuming Dodge fails this year, and taking it one step higher. Lets go from High School HC to Div II / Div III HC. Yeah one is college but I view that idea as a bit of same ole same ole.

If Coach Dodge does not manage to get it done this year, I say go for the 40 year old OC / DC at big name a.q. school. Name recognition is nice and if we could get a coach Fran or someone like that then good but there has to be better value and more drive out there though with a coach entering their first HC gig, but this time coming from the college ranks of course.

Going after the lower level HC with success is a another route and you make a good point about his familiarity of the hurdles that he would face but I fear that is just looking at the last mistake, assuming Dodge fails this year, and taking it one step higher. Lets go from High School HC to Div II / Div III HC. Yeah one is college but I view that idea as a bit of same ole same ole.

Only an FCS coach with an FCS championship on his resume. No lower.

It's kind of a trade off. With this kind of guy, you get a head coach who has led a program to the highest level of success, but has not coached at your level. With an OC from a major program, you get a guy who has no head coaching experience at your level (or maybe any level), but has coached against FBS speed.

I would simply rather have a guy with skins on the wall as a head coach, even if it is one division lower.

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever hire another high school coach. But you think that lesson would have already been learned.

It's kind of a trade off. With this kind of guy, you get a head coach who has led a program to the highest level of success, but has not coached at your level. With an OC from a major program, you get a guy who has no head coaching experience at your level (or maybe any level), but has coached against FBS speed.

I would simply rather have a guy with skins on the wall as a head coach, even if it is one division lower.

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever hire another high school coach. But you think that lesson would have already been learned.

You would think so. But after all this IS North Texas. :rolleyes:

Sometimes you have to get what you need, not what you can afford. We are going to have to pay for a coach if we want one that can take us to the next level. I still don't think we are going to find some diamond in the rough that is going to take us to the glory land and a movie be made about it. We will finally have a facility (the stadium), so we should get somebody that can match that, not some guy from a Mt. Union. Again, we will all have to put our money where our mouth is. Otherwise, we will be a Wal_Mart just as SUMG said.

Bobby Hauck never won an FCS championship. He took Montana to the Championship game 3 times, but never won it.