Southeastern Louisiana (12/22/09)

CMJ

My daughter and I talked with Calvin Watson after the game... he is playing in Europe for Hungary... Calvin is such a nice guy and great person... He is my daughter's all time favorite player... Calvin use to pay special attention to Hailee at the games and press conferences... it's been several years and he remembered my daughter, asked her how's she is doing... really took time to talk to her and find out how's she doing... talked about his time in Europe...and said he plans to come work out the UNT team in the Spring (I think)... told my daughter to stay in school, listen to her parents and not her friends, work hard in basketball, and that he wants to see her to do well in life... he is a great role model and one of the UNT greats...

Edited by chrisfisher

Ok , I missed the pretty much the whole game except for the the last 90 seconds. Can someone give me a quick recap ?

Started very well, scoring quickly and efficiently. SE Louisiana got a lot of offensive boards. Defense was quite good for most of the game, lots of blocks, very few uncontested shots.

Played very well as far as interior scoring and seemed to have way more blocks than usual. Tristan shot very well.

We had one of our usual 4-5 minute cold stretches in the 2nd half, but we still wound up beating a very solid team by double digits. As bad as the FIU loss made us look, the overall effort and general control we exhibited over this game went a long way towards making us look very formidable again.

Cam Spencer and Ben Knox never saw the floor.

I thought the rotation tonight was right on target. Alzee spelling Josh for a few is good. I'd like to see him get up to 12 minutes per game. Good rotation on the 2's and 3's between Thomas, Mangrum, Thompson, and Shorter. Good trio down low. Good that we are not using Spencer and Knox because no productivity there. I am still worried about Eric's health . Hopefully, that back gets better.

The ULM and SELA games have been our best defensive efforts of the year. Great job there all around.

Started very well, scoring quickly and efficiently. SE Louisiana got a lot of offensive boards. Defense was quite good for most of the game, lots of blocks, very few uncontested shots.

Played very well as far as interior scoring and seemed to have way more blocks than usual. Tristan shot very well.

We had one of our usual 4-5 minute cold stretches in the 2nd half, but we still wound up beating a very solid team by double digits. As bad as the FIU loss made us look, the overall effort and general control we exhibited over this game went a long way towards making us look very formidable again.

Cam Spencer and Ben Knox never saw the floor.

Thanks HiJacker

I really wish JJ could find a way to work them into a game

I thought the rotation tonight was right on target. Alzee spelling Josh for a few is good. I'd like to see him get up to 12 minutes per game. Good rotation on the 2's and 3's between Thomas, Mangrum, Thompson, and Shorter. Good trio down low. Good that we are not using Spencer and Knox because no productivity there. I am still worried about Eric's health . Hopefully, that back gets better.

The ULM and SELA games have been our best defensive efforts of the year. Great job there all around.

The first half we played good on both ends and were well in control. The second half we got sloppy with ball handling, had several turnovers and allowed them too many offensive rebounds with 2nd and 3rd shots. If they were a better shooting team they would have easily tied us but did cut it to 6 a couple times late and out rebounded us for the game. Our free throws were better this game. I think we again played down to the competition and let them hang around instead of going for the kill early.

Nice interview with Calvin Watson at halftime.

Heard it in the car after visiting family. It was great how he rattled of his stats and then when Hank mentioned it to JJ in the postgame show, Johnny had a good laugh and said "of course he would."

Still 22/6/4/2 is pretty darn impressive, Hungary or not.

Thanks HiJacker

I really wish JJ could find a way to work them into a game

Agreed...especially if it means less Holman. I see the potential, however he's not there yet...right now he's a poor man's Mike Jones...he gets a touch within 23 feet of the goal and its going up, but hell, I could even live with that if he weren't being abused on the defensive end...Holman's assignment most of the FIU game was J.C. Otero who had a career game b/c he had so many open looks.

Shorter and Spencer at the 4/5 for 10 minutes could work. You'd have to get most of your scoring from the perimeter, but that would work defensivly.