Conference Shakeups

StealthEagle84

Notre Dame to Big Ten?

"If a team other than Notre Dame joined the Big Ten, it could set off a chain reaction across other conferences, similar to what took place when Virginia Tech, Miami and Boston College bolted the Big East for the Atlantic Coast Conference."

From UNT's perspective, we should prefer that Notre Dame stay independent. If they do, that means the Big Ten would have to pull a team from the Big East (Pitt or Rutgers). The Big East would then have to scramble to add, which they need to do already. The candidates there are most likely an East Carolina or a Central Florida or possibly both. That scenario would be great for UNT b/c that would open one or two slots into C-USA. Time will tell...........

Im of the opinion we should think bigger than C-USA.

This isn't play station, were never getting into the Big 12.

CUSA would be incredible for UNT, but I don't think the dominoes are going to fall that way.

If CUSA West has a spot have we done enough to put ourselves ahead of the LA Tech?

CUSA would be incredible for UNT, but I don't think the dominoes are going to fall that way.

If CUSA West has a spot have we done enough to put ourselves ahead of the LA Tech?

I never said anything about the Big 12... I haven't any interest in the Big 12. If only we lived in a world where a directional state school could start a football program from scratch and end up in a BCS conference some 10 years later...

no. besides a baseball program and recognized womens bb team, they have a sponsor, tulane. we need the pac 10 to expand by 2 schools to 12, and the mountain west to go from 9 to 12 teams.then cusa slots may open up. the east coast situation could also help our cusa cause if big east looses a team to big 10, then splits into a 8 team bb only conference leaving a 7 member football division that decides to add 5 new schools. either way everyone is waiting on pac 10 and big 10 to get the ball rolling.

no. besides a baseball program and recognized womens bb team, they have a sponsor, tulane. we need the pac 10 to expand by 2 schools to 12, and the mountain west to go from 9 to 12 teams.then cusa slots may open up. the east coast situation could also help our cusa cause if big east looses a team to big 10, then splits into a 8 team bb only conference leaving a 7 member football division that decides to add 5 new schools. either way everyone is waiting on pac 10 and big 10 to get the ball rolling.

How do you know Tulane would sponsor Tech, or even vote for their entry ? They didn't seem to throw them any support when the other EWAC schools went to CUSA.

I could imagine SMU sponsoring NT before Tulane would sponsor La Tech.

Good post and right on. And the answer to the questions is "nothing". We have done nothing. We held out for something "bigger" than the WAC years ago and look at where we are right now. I would have gladly "settled" for the WAC conference knowing that most likely they will get the draft ahead of any sunbelt team into a better conference. Any step out of the Sunbelt is a step up. We should take anything we can get.

• Upvote 1

I could imagine SMU sponsoring NT before Tulane would sponsor La Tech.

maybe so, but after katrina la tech created a lot of good will by opening up campus to tulane students. plus i think they would welcome an instate rival, as opposed to smu who doesn't want to compete with a large state university in metroplex. in addition, they are really pissed about our law school.

Geographically, the only conferences that make sense are CUSA, MWC, or the Big 12. And we've certainly done nothing to earn the attention of MWC or Big 12.

CUSA is the best opportunity - we'd have instant rivals.

i agree. however if mountain west takes 2 or 3 schools from wac, amd cusa takes la tech from wac as well, you could see some wac/belt configuration, although cusa/belt restructuring makes more sense. however, when did common sense become a realignment requirement?

ND reports they have no interest in joining the Big 10....well, what they say is that they are committed to staying independent. I guess we will all see soon enough.

UNT would look mighty nice in C-USA. Could build some actual rivalry games and it would do a great deal to raise attendance, season ticket sales, stadium revenue and donations, etc., etc.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all the MEAN GREEN NATION.

maybe so, but after katrina la tech created a lot of good will by opening up campus to tulane students. plus i think they would welcome an instate rival, as opposed to smu who doesn't want to compete with a large state university in metroplex. in addition, they are really pissed about our law school.

Not to mention the fact that during the last CUSA expansion, SMU backed La Tech for an invite--not the school just to the north of them. I suspect that an opening in CUSA will be filled with either La Tech, Florida Atlantic, Middle Tennessee, or maybe even South Alabama, which would bring the Mobile bowl game with them, presumably. The eastern CUSA teams are not interested in getting a 5th conference member in Texas.

Not to mention the fact that during the last CUSA expansion, SMU backed La Tech for an invite--not the school just to the north of them. I suspect that an opening in CUSA will be filled with either La Tech, Florida Atlantic, Middle Tennessee, or maybe even South Alabama, which would bring the Mobile bowl game with them, presumably. The eastern CUSA teams are not interested in getting a 5th conference member in Texas.

La tech would be the tail dragger of your list. USA would probably be at the top of CUSA's expansion list.

I think any conference looking to expand to create a championship game, is going to want to see about expanding into the DFW market, if they can stretch their footprint this far. We all know the size of the TV market here, and football is king in Texas, but you have to think, wouldn't every conference want Cowboys Stadium in their region as a site for its championship game. If Notre Dame passes on the Big 10, TCU might get the invite. Remember the Big 10 wanted Texas back in the day. If TCU is too small, and the Big 10 cares more about gaining the region, then the current state of the football program, then maybe we have a shot.

Nah, never happen. Sorry if I got anyones hopes up.

the best choice for us would be if the big 10 took a big east team such as pitt. the big east would then take a cusa school such as memphis or cfu as a full member, and perhaps e.carolina or cfu as a" football only" school. this would leave them with 16 bb schools , and 9 football schools which makes scheduling easier, while opening up 2 slots in cusa. everything i read tells me la. tech gets 1st opening, which gives us a chance at the 2nd. i discount troy, because of academics, but don't know if uab would push for them or not. in addition, marshall could push for middle tenn. and wk in order to balance the cusa east. while it is fun to speculate, unless we get out football program in step with our basketball program, become a factor again in the belt, then we may be passed over regardless of our new stadium. in addition, we must commit to adding baseball in the future, although i have concerns about adding another underfunded athletic program.