Now The Pac 10 Is Talking Expansion

MeanGreen61

I think there are lots of problems with the size of the stadium. But I think the time-line to the Big 12 North will be set off with a chain of events starting with some conference shifts. I don't think there is a hard date on this to start with. I believe the answer is that UNT feels if everything lines up and it happens then they can add on to the stadium at that point.

You have a PM houstonmeangreen.

Hey King, I don't doubt you a bit (would almost give my left testicle if it would help it happen) but why the North? I would think that Okie State would want to move North so they wouldn't have to lose to OU and UT every year. I wouldn't mind it a bit though.

Hey King, I don't doubt you a bit (would almost give my left testicle if it would help it happen) but why the North? I would think that Okie State would want to move North so they wouldn't have to lose to OU and UT every year. I wouldn't mind it a bit though.

While I don't really think NT is joining the Big XII anytime soon in any division, Okie State is certainly not moving out of the division with OU. The Oklahoma legislature would never allow it.

As for going Wacy, no, we've gone over that time and again. It makes no sense for a school in the Central Time Zone to join the WAC. You will get no newspaper, radio or TV coverage. If going Wacy was so good, why did TCU, UTEP, Rice, Tulsa and SMU leave as quickly as they could? In the Mtn West, TCU has a special deal to only play a very, very limited number of games that would finish after 10pm Central time. Then there is the Wacy bowl problems - New Orleans and Mobile are a number better fit for a team in North or East or anywhere but West Texas.

There is nothing wrong per se with the Wac and if we were the University of North New Mexico, it would make sense. Otherwise, the idea has been repeatedly proven to just be wacy.

The answer I got was the North wanted to have a stronger presence in Texas for recruiting purposes, and they felt DFW had the best central location to their recruiting area among other things.

Guest GrayEagleOne

please note that latech is given cusa slot in every situation if there is only one opening.

That is the opinion of the person that wrote the article. While LaTech has enjoyed better success in football than North Texas we are about four times larger, in a much larger market, equal attendance (and we have far more potential), soon to have better facilities and probably excel in more sports. Plus, we are far easier to get to, saving opponents a lot in travel expenses.

Don't downplay the TV market. Even if we were deemed to have only 10% of the 5th largest market, that's more than their share of the Monroe-El Dorado TV households with Shreveport thrown in as well (which they share with ULM).

If we really get behind our football team and boost our average attendance to 25,000 then we should have little trouble gaining a berth in the upcoming shuffle. We will be successful on the field again, whether with this coach or the next one.

---Anyone that thinks we currently have a shot at the Big-XII is absolutely nuts. If a spot were to open up, it would likely be a team from the CUSA... maybe Houston, TCU, Memphis, or UTEP. Houston would be my bet... large market, national known (especially basketball history).. and easy to get to. TCU is more sucessful but rather small.

---I would think the Pac-10 might consider BYU, Utah and Colorado... and really doubt UT would consider it at all. Big-X supposedly is looking at some Big East team..Pitt, Syracuse or even Rutgers. There also i some talk about Iowa State and Nebraska.

---All of the above could start some conference moving from CUSA and trickle down to Sun Belt Pac-10 changes could trickle down to the WAC... which would be in trouble I would think... not much else out there to replace any losses. [Losing LaTech or Boise looks likely]

---The Big East may need football teams (now 8) but is too large in basketball (16 teams)... I expect a split-up there eventually.

---We are a very large university in a very large market and no doubt attendence would greatly improve if in a better known confernence...BUT we have been doing terrible in football, have no baseball, and lacking several other sports as well. SMU if they have any say, will always blackball us... they do not want to complete against a large state university in the same neighborhood.