Now The Pac 10 Is Talking Expansion

MeanGreen61

The first issue is the small pool of potential candidates. The teams most often mentioned -- mostly by fans -- are Utah, BYU, Boise State, San Diego State, Colorado, Fresno State, Nevada, UNLV and TCU

If these are the candidates and PAC 10 is very interested in the Texas Market, then sounds like Dr B and RV should be having a meeting with them....tell them we will commit more money to athletics, expand the stadium we are building, etc....getting in the right conference would add 10 to 15,000 fans pretty quick...providing we can be competitive.

The rumor I heard for a long time is all the auto-bid conferences the Big East (8), ACC (12), SEC (12), Big 12 (12), Big Ten (11) and Pac-10 (10) would each go to 12 teams. Which if my math is correct opens 7 spots and opportunities for some conference shifting.

The rumor I heard for a long time is all the auto-bid conferences the Big East (8), ACC (12), SEC (12), Big 12 (12), Big Ten (11) and Pac-10 (10) would each go to 12 teams. Which if my math is correct opens 7 spots and opportunities for some conference shifting.

Yep. But the most I'd expect to happen with North Texas is to move to a conference that loses teams to an auto-bid conference.

Yeah I still think we have a great shot at the Big 12 North.

I think that's crazy. Maybe if we'd continued to romp through the Sun Belt for the last four years the way we did the previous four, and we had higher local interest and national exposure. But for now we're one of the worst teams in the worst conference, and the new stadium and DFW TV market aren't enough.

I think that's crazy. Maybe if we'd continued to romp through the Sun Belt for the last four years the way we did the previous four, and we had higher local interest and national exposure. But for now we're one of the worst teams in the worst conference, and the new stadium and DFW TV market aren't enough.

Think what you like, enjoy, I was told UNT and the Big 12 North were in talks about the possibility over the last three years. Worthiness had nothing to do with our football team's performance, but with school size, location for recruiting, market, and probably the upcoming stadium were the key points. I know for sure these talks have happened, I have not heard recently if they are continuing, I don't know what events have to happen to make it real. I figure UNT could screw this up a hundred different ways.

I've read a couple of comments from you about this and I really, really hope it has some validity. I'm planning to ask Santa for this, but I'm afraid he'll just laugh at me and offer me a nice JUCO player instead.

Edited by gangrene

Think what you like, enjoy, I was told UNT and the Big 12 North were in talks about the possibility over the last three years. Worthiness had nothing to do with our football team's performance, but with school size, location for recruiting, market, and probably the upcoming stadium were the key points. I know for sure these talks have happened, I have not heard recently if they are continuing, I don't know what events have to happen to make it real. I figure UNT could screw this up a hundred different ways.

I know for sure these talks have happened

So, just how do you know for sure these talks have happened?....and when have they taken place?....and who was in on the talks?

If we were going to be going to the Big 12, don't you think we would have buiilt the stadium a little large from the onset? This, if anything, should point to the fact that we are not going to the big 12. I think our current admin thinks big enough that if we were going to the big 12 they would have started with a larger stadium.

If we were going to be going to the Big 12, don't you think we would have buiilt the stadium a little large from the onset? This, if anything, should point to the fact that we are not going to the big 12. I think our current admin thinks big enough that if we were going to the big 12 they would have started with a larger stadium.

I think there are lots of problems with the size of the stadium. But I think the time-line to the Big 12 North will be set off with a chain of events starting with some conference shifts. I don't think there is a hard date on this to start with. I believe the answer is that UNT feels if everything lines up and it happens then they can add on to the stadium at that point.

You have a PM houstonmeangreen.

unless the big east splits into 2 seperate conferences, one that plays football and another that is basketball only, they only have room for a "football only" school, plus full membership to replace any loss due to big 10 expansion. regarding the pac 10, byu and utah are joined at the hip much in the same way that texas and texas a&m were when they had discussions with the sec before creation of big 12. in my opinion, our best hope is for mountain west to loose byu and utah, then replace them with utep and houston, leaving 2 openings in cusa/west to be filled by unt and la tech. i don't drink enough to ever entertain the thought that we be considered for big 12.

Guest GrayEagleOne

There are so many ways that this can go but if both the Big 10 and the Pac 10 expand to 12 then I have to believe that the Big East will do the same. That would make seven teams moving up. While I feel pretty certain (even if we meet our best case scenario) that North Texas won't be one of them, it should still open up a lot of interesting possibilities.

The Pac-10 expansion more than likely includes two teams from the Mountain West. If the MWC loses two teams they will replenish them with two teams from the WAC. Still yet, since they aspire to become one of the BCS conferences, they might even take five from the WAC (or four WAC + UTEP). That would pretty much destroy the WAC.

The Big 10 expansion will be easier; they will simply take a Big East team. That would leave the Big East with seven teams and if they want to remain a player they must take at least one CUSA team but if they want to remain a major player they must expand to 12 by taking at least three from CUSA, take Temple back, and hope that Notre Dame, already a Big East member, joins them for football. That would create a nineteen team two division basketball conference or the conference could divide (forming among those that play football and those that do not).

The loss of three (or more) eastern CUSA would likely cause CUSA and the Sun Belt to divide along geographic lines, saving travel costs and creating more regional interest.

The final result could be reducing the number of conferences to ten or adding another half dozen teams to the FBS. This could make for a lot of hot stove league talk over the next year or two.

assuming that mountain west is waiting on pac 10 to make 1st move from 10 to 12 schools, i think that they will then increase from 9 schools to 12. no matter which conterence pac 10 takes from, a total of 5 western slots open up. the usual suspects for mw expansion are fres.state, nevada, and boise from wac, and utep and houston from cusa. no one wants san jose, hawaii,utah state,nms, or idaho. this alters only if colorado moves to pac 10, but they might have to pair with csu much like byu and utah are linked together. point is that unless changes west of us open up 2 slots in cusa, one for la tech, another for us, then we will still be in the belt.

Like in the SunBelt, 3 hour plane trips for a conference game should discourage any fan and/or school from joining said conference.

Surely you are joking. I am in the camp of joining the WAC because I truly believe the Sunbelt is a glorified FCS conference. However taking the time to think about going to the PAC 10 or ANY BCS conference is foolish. If we are playing teams like USC, Stanford, Cal, UCLA etc out in the west coast then it will not matter....students and alumni will stay up and give a damn about our games. Ofcourse I am not saying UNT will have any shot at joining the PAC 10 but this is purely hypothetical.