Info On The 5 Loi Mid Term Players Who Signed Loi

OldTimer

PhD in Recruiting

Group: Admin

Member No.: 73

All 5 signed LO's and are mid-term graduates

1. CB Leon McCord, CB Butler County CC , 6-0, 185, visited NT 11/20/09, rated a 5.4 by rivals just under a 5.5 as a 3* He was a 3rd team all conference with 30 tackles in 9 games.

2. 3* S Ryan Downing, Butler County CC 6-1, 200, visited NT 11/20, Dec 08 named Defensive player of the year by JC conf. he was 5th on his team with 62 tackles, 2nd on team with 3 interceptions.

3. OLB Brad Graham, Navarro CC 6-0, 205, 4.6 Earned 2nd Team All-Conference honors after posting 87 tackles, 2 interceptions and 5.5 sacks as a freshman, Named NJCC All American Made the SWJCFC MVP, was the conferences 2nd leading tackler with 106 stops, 2 sacks, 13 tackles for loss, 4 interceptions, s5a QB pressures and 6 pass breakups. Very good LB against the pass, a tweener between S and LB, plays hard and makes a lot of plays, even in a game that is a "down" game for him, he makes playes and contributes with the game on the line. Finished his soph year with 18th in the nation with tackles with 96.

4. 3* JC Jamison Hughes, Pearl River CC, , 6-1, 185, Named 2nd team All State by the Clarion Ledger as a Sr in HS, His father asst coach at Miss state.Jamison and his father attended the NT FB banquet visiting with Gandy. He was 6th on the team in total tackles with 37 and added 2 interceptions

5. 3* OLB Forlando Johnson, Butler County CC, 5-11, 205, visited NT 11-20, 09 , Started season ranked as 4*, had knee surgery and his inconsisten play lowered his ranking to 3*, 1st Team All Jayhawk Conference, 1st team pre-season All American , He had 57 tacakles in 8 games

Folks there are some top notch players listed above. 3-3*s, Downing a Jayhawk Defensive Player of the year, Johnson a 1st team Jayhawk Conference, Graham SWJCFC MVP NJC All American, The Jayhawk Conference is one of the best in the US>

I'm sure you noticed that all 5 of these were defensive. Gilmore and Adryan Adams not returning at DE and CB respectfully...NT also lost Nwigwe and Kylee Hill who began the season as starters but suffered injuries that kept them out in the second half of the year.

I'm no football guru but... I know- all of you can pick yourselves up off of the floor from shock. I saw a secondary that got burned last year. badly.

This could be a significant improvement to what I'd call the area of the team with the most need. If you don't count that whole kicking thing. Or the whole "quarterback that throws too many interceptions" thing.

Just sayin.

I'm no football guru but... I know- all of you can pick yourselves up off of the floor from shock. I saw a secondary that got burned last year. badly.

This could be a significant improvement to what I'd call the area of the team with the most need. If you don't count that whole kicking thing. Or the whole "quarterback that throws too many interceptions" thing.

Just sayin.

Secondary or lack of pass rush?

Chicken or the egg?

PhD in Recruiting

Group: Admin

Member No.: 73

All 5 signed LO's and are mid-term graduates

1. CB Leon McCord, CB Butler County CC , 6-0, 185, visited NT 11/20/09, rated a 5.4 by rivals just under a 5.5 as a 3* He was a 3rd team all conference with 30 tackles in 9 games.

2. 3* S Ryan Downing, Butler County CC 6-1, 200, visited NT 11/20, Dec 08 named Defensive player of the year by JC conf. he was 5th on his team with 62 tackles, 2nd on team with 3 interceptions.

3. OLB Brad Graham, Navarro CC 6-0, 205, 4.6 Earned 2nd Team All-Conference honors after posting 87 tackles, 2 interceptions and 5.5 sacks as a freshman, Named NJCC All American Made the SWJCFC MVP, was the conferences 2nd leading tackler with 106 stops, 2 sacks, 13 tackles for loss, 4 interceptions, s5a QB pressures and 6 pass breakups. Very good LB against the pass, a tweener between S and LB, plays hard and makes a lot of plays, even in a game that is a "down" game for him, he makes playes and contributes with the game on the line. Finished his soph year with 18th in the nation with tackles with 96.

4. 3* JC Jamison Hughes, Pearl River CC, , 6-1, 185, Named 2nd team All State by the Clarion Ledger as a Sr in HS, His father asst coach at Miss state.Jamison and his father attended the NT FB banquet visiting with Gandy. He was 6th on the team in total tackles with 37 and added 2 interceptions

5. 3* OLB Forlando Johnson, Butler County CC, 5-11, 205, visited NT 11-20, 09 , Started season ranked as 4*, had knee surgery and his inconsisten play lowered his ranking to 3*, 1st Team All Jayhawk Conference, 1st team pre-season All American , He had 57 tacakles in 8 games

Folks there are some top notch players listed above. 3-3*s, Downing a Jayhawk Defensive Player of the year, Johnson a 1st team Jayhawk Conference, Graham SWJCFC MVP NJC All American, The Jayhawk Conference is one of the best in the US>

I'm sure you noticed that all 5 of these were defensive. Gilmore and Adryan Adams not returning at DE and CB respectfully...NT also lost Nwigwe and Kylee Hill who began the season as starters but suffered injuries that kept them out in the second half of the year.

Per Rivals, Downing had an offer from Norlthern Illinois and McCord, an offer from W Carolina (FCS). Rivals had no offers for the other three.

Per Rivals, Downing had an offer from Norlthern Illinois and McCord, an offer from W Carolina (FCS). Rivals had no offers for the other three.

Don't be discouraged on the number of early offers.....perhaps other programs were looking to offer but withdrew their offers after these players accepted, early, to play for NT. Happens, don't you agree?? Besides, NT will probably pick up some excellent players who were looking at "free rides" to other "prestigious schools" the closer everyone gets to signing day. Not everyone gets into their first, second or third choice of FB programs.

Just a thought.......What are the odds again this year that Troy will sign another class of at least 40 or 50 players?

Secondary or lack of pass rush?

Chicken or the egg?

Well I'm sure the lack of pass rush didn't help. But.. again.. I'm no expert but so I don't know if this was just bad technique (guys just not turning around when they could have knocked down or intercepted passes) or if it was just a lack of skill, but our pass defense was so bad that I will not put that as 100% on the Dline.

Looks to be a good group signing to me. Should provide some immediate help in an obvious area of need (defensive backs). The "D" will be stronger due to these signings. Isn't it amazing that UNT is actually out recruiting and signing players (sarcasm noted) even when some folks think they are sitting on their hands? Like I said, I like to wait on the actual signings before I get too carried away one way OR the other over what the rumor mill says UNT is doing.

And, I agree...signing with UNT after a good JuCo career is one thing, performing on Saturday is yet another. I am most hopeful for this group to be the "real thing", but we will all have to wait and see once the "talking turns to walking".

Nice job TD and staff...now...go get some more!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!

Well I'm sure the lack of pass rush didn't help. But.. again.. I'm no expert but so I don't know if this was just bad technique (guys just not turning around when they could have knocked down or intercepted passes) or if it was just a lack of skill, but our pass defense was so bad that I will not put that as 100% on the Dline.

A good DL can certainly compensate for lack of technique in the secondary. It doesn't excuse it, though....

You know that. ;)

Guest GrayEagleOne

I agree that this is a good group of signees and that you improve by taking good players. But, they don't really answer our most pressing needs. They may give us great depth but how much will the two deep contribute.

We had tour pretty strong safeties in Cook, Smith, Williams, and Shorter. We now sign two more safeties. Not that they don't sound like very good players...they do. At our position it's hard to turn down any three-star player. Our need is really cornerbacks; not safeties.

Linebacker was weakened with the loss of Nwigwe so we need a middle linebacker. What did we sign? Two very good outside linebackers. They seem to be very good additions but neither is a middle linebacker. Penson played much better after he was moved to the middle but he still lacks the size. His backup, Prior, is also a little small for the middle. Maybe each can gain the strength and weight to shed blockers and fly to the ball but it would have been nice to have one or two that were the caliber of Graham and Johnson who could play the middle. The outside is where our best linebacker, Craig Robertson, plays. Also, Jeremy Phillips came on strong in the last half of last year. SMU transfer Julian Herron becomes eligible next season and John Shorter is being moved to outside backer.

McCord does fill a need. Although the only two-star rated of the five, he was second team all-Jayhawk Conference at cornerback and appears to be the equal of Adams and Bush. Ira Smith had some skins as a corner as a JC but, for whatever reason, isn't being moved to corner. Maybe we've got a lights out cover corner who son't be eligible until the fall.

We did a good job of raising our talent level but fell short of fulfilling our greatest needs.

I agree that this is a good group of signees and that you improve by taking good players. But, they don't really answer our most pressing needs. They may give us great depth but how much will the two deep contribute.

We had tour pretty strong safeties in Cook, Smith, Williams, and Shorter. We now sign two more safeties. Not that they don't sound like very good players...they do. At our position it's hard to turn down any three-star player. Our need is really cornerbacks; not safeties.

Linebacker was weakened with the loss of Nwigwe so we need a middle linebacker. What did we sign? Two very good outside linebackers. They seem to be very good additions but neither is a middle linebacker. Penson played much better after he was moved to the middle but he still lacks the size. His backup, Prior, is also a little small for the middle. Maybe each can gain the strength and weight to shed blockers and fly to the ball but it would have been nice to have one or two that were the caliber of Graham and Johnson who could play the middle. The outside is where our best linebacker, Craig Robertson, plays. Also, Jeremy Phillips came on strong in the last half of last year. SMU transfer Julian Herron becomes eligible next season and John Shorter is being moved to outside backer.

McCord does fill a need. Although the only two-star rated of the five, he was second team all-Jayhawk Conference at cornerback and appears to be the equal of Adams and Bush. Ira Smith had some skins as a corner as a JC but, for whatever reason, isn't being moved to corner. Maybe we've got a lights out cover corner who son't be eligible until the fall.

We did a good job of raising our talent level but fell short of fulfilling our greatest needs.

One guy that a lot of people seem to be forgetting about is Hilbert Jackson. I think he'll be a good CB for us.