Sure Sign Of Bcs Bias

UNTflyer

If TCU is matched up against Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl, I may blow a gasket. Putting these two together, IMHO, would be yet another sign of BCS bias. It would ensure that one of these wannabes finishes with a loss and cement the winner of the BCS championship as the "true" champion.

pretty sure the bowls select the teams in the round after the conference tie-ins, so I don't see that happening as it wouldn't be desirable to whichever bowl site ended up with the two non-BCS schools. But if it did happen, it's just going to piss everyone off even more... which I welcome.

Was the Hawaii bowl a tie in for SMU? I found that an interesting place for SMU to go. Were there other options? SMU spent their asses off to get back to a bowl for the first time since the Reagan administration. They have a lot invested for sure. So they finally get there(Hey, according to GMG.com it can't be done in 2 years) but then pick a place that guarantees that the majority of their fanbase won't get to participate in it? Strange.

Rick

Was the Hawaii bowl a tie in for SMU? I found that an interesting place for SMU to go. Were there other options? SMU spent their asses off to get back to a bowl for the first time since the Reagan administration. They have a lot invested for sure. So they finally get there(Hey, according to GMG.com it can't be done in 2 years) but then pick a place that guarantees that the majority of their fanbase won't get to participate in it? Strange.

Rick

Well I was referring to the BCS bowls, with respects to tie-ins and selections. I assume C-USA has a tie-in for the Hawaii Bowl... but if not, it is definitely a curious decision. If I am SMU, I would have much preferred the New Orleans Bowl, for the sake of the fans.

It is a smart pick. SMU has a small fan base. Any other bowl will "expect" them to travel. Hawaii is just expecting the team to show up so SMU can't look bad. June Jones is a Hawaii hero and with Hawaii not playing in the bowl - fans of his old school might show up to see his new team. When this pick was made, Hawaii still had a chance of making their own bowl and that would be a good match, too - old coach vs new coach. Smart pick all the way around for the Hawaii Bowl.

Edited by stebo

It is a smart pick. SMU has a small fan base. Any other bowl will "expect" them to travel. Hawaii is just expecting the team to show up so SMU can't look bad. June Jones is a Hawaii hero and with Hawaii not playing in the bowl - fans of his old school might show up to see his new team. When this pick was made, Hawaii still had a chance of making their own bowl and that would be a good match, too - old coach vs new coach. Smart pick all the way around for the Hawaii Bowl.

But this was the time to think of the fans. Next year or whenever they can go elsewhere. Maybe they don't give a rats about their fans? I don't know? And sure, they have a fanbase that can afford it, but even Biff and Buffy has a schedule to work around.

I would have been pissed if my school had other options(I don't know if they did or not?) but chose to go to a place that would make it difficult for me to bring my family to, and Hawaii is absolutely just that.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I was thinking about that Hawaii choice too and it almost worked out for Junes, but it didn't! Jones is so selfish in my opinion. He picked Hawaii because it is well known that he loves Hawaii and plans to return - heck I do to every other day too! (Denton Honolulu Denton Honolulu). But Hawaii didn't hold up their end of the bargain. They needed to win yesterday to go to their bowl and create a classic matchup - Hawaii versus June Jones.

June is not loved in Hawaii anymore. He will be sitting in a fairly empty stadium with some splattering of blue and red in the stands. The rest will be gold and powder blue because I am confident UCLA will take the other spot. I am surprised another WAC team isn't going, but maybe Boise to PHX, Idaho to Boise and Nevada to where?

Jones ego is monstrous and he selected Hawaii for himself and the hope that his buddy coaching in Hawaii could beat WI. It didn't happen so the Stang fans will have to go far to see their team in their first bowl game since the 80's. At least they are in a bowl - good for them.

GMG

Rick

I am not sure how all of the conferences do it, but I know with the SEC, once the BCS teams are taken by the bowls, the SEC commissioner pretty much makes a decision on which teams go where based on where they think most fans will travel to and which bowls have expressed interest in teams from the SEC.

Rick

SMU could only have ended up in Hawaii or Fort Worth Bowl, based on how they finished in the conf.