Attention Green Gang: '09 Home Attendance Avg Was

FirefightnRick

The good folks over at the MGSports Green Gang believes "Apathy" is the greatest hurdle that stands in the way of this team and success. I read that the term "Apathy" and the comments about fans needing to get on board and support this staff and team meant that the fans somehow DID NOT get behind this team, so I wanted to point out a couple of facts. It appears that this past season('09) turned out to be the 5th(corrected from title) largest average home attendance in Fouts Field history.

2009....18,228 And this includes 2 terrible situational games, a monsoon against Ohio(16,674), and Halloween weekend against KY jelly(11,214).

And what about individual game attendance, record wise for the '09 season? Would you believe 3 of our 6 home games this past year ranked in the top 9 in Fouts history?

MTSU, 22346 ranks as the 9th largest game attendance in Fouts Field history.

FAU, 23319 ranks as the 6th largest game attendance in Fouts Field history.

Army, 23,647 ranks as the 5th largest game attendance in Fouts Field history.....for a 2-8 team going into this game?

I understand and appreciate the fact that we have some alumni now finally working for us in our athletic department. But it doesn't sit well with me when people who don't even have to pay to get into the games, who actually GET PAID to get into the games, tells me and my fellow Mean Green Nation bretheren, who turned out in record numbers, that we aren't doing enough for a program that has won exactly 5 home games in 5 years.

If this is the oppinion of the athletic department, that they are concerned about a drop in the numbers of people getting behind this program next year, then it seems to me an announcement this week instilling confidence in the fanbase that an improvement could be expected (in some way, any way????) would have been best over what we got.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

That can't be. Dodge is coming back therefore everything must be bad.

Or just maybe, it's just been a bad run and not the end of the world.

With Dodge coming back , Is everything closer to being bad or being good ?

Edited by NT03

I really think his "apathy" statement is in regards to next season...this is in response to everyone saying that they aren't going to come out and support this team next year. Especially all the hot heads on this board saying that they aren't renewing their season tickets.

I don't think this has much to do with the people that turned out for '09...but those that say they won't for '10

As a fan I was very pleased with our attendence at the start of the season. I think qe were averaging around 20,000 for the first 3 games. Then we decided to run an option from 4 yards deep in our end zone. After that game against Troy, I feel many of our fans decided that the play calling would keep the team from succeeding on the field, and we started drawing about 12 grand a game. Then Army rolled into town, and some fans came back, plus Army's following.

Die hard fans like us on the blog, will yell and complain about the things we feel are wrong, but only because we care. The more casual fans didn't show up in great numbers in the second half of the season. But telling them they are bad fans isn't the way to get their butts in the stadium either. The dude at the Gang Green blog needs to think about that before he attacks.

The good folks over at the MGSports Green Gang believes "Apathy" is the greatest hurdle that stands in the way of this team and success. I read that the term "Apathy" and the comments about fans needing to get on board and support this staff and team meant that the fans somehow DID NOT get behind this team, so I wanted to point out a couple of facts. It appears that this past season('09) turned out to be the 5th(corrected from title) largest average home attendance in Fouts Field history.

2009....18,228 And this includes 2 terrible situational games, a monsoon against Ohio(16,674), and Halloween weekend against KY jelly(11,214).

And what about individual game attendance, record wise for the '09 season? Would you believe 3 of our 6 home games this past year ranked in the top 9 in Fouts history?

Army, 23,647 ranks as the 5th largest game attendance in Fouts Field history.....for a 2-8 team going into this game?

I understand and appreciate the fact that we have some alumni now finally working for us in our athletic department. But it doesn't sit well with me when people who don't even have to pay to get into the games, who actually GET PAID to get into the games, tells me and my fellow Mean Green Nation bretheren, who turned out in record numbers, that we aren't doing enough for a program that has won exactly 5 home games in 5 years.

If this is the oppinion of the athletic department, that they are concerned about a drop in the numbers of people getting behind this program next year, then it seems to me an announcement this week instilling confidence in the fanbase that an improvement could be expected (in some way, any way????) would have been best over what we got.

Rick

Can you imagine if the Ohio game was a nice day? I know a ton of people that did not make it for the weather, many were pumped up off the Ball State win. I would bet another 6000 - 9000. You know the school is getting larger, the DD bowl years created some die hard fans both alumni and students at the time, and the metro area north of Lake Lewisville including Denton has expanded greatly, exploded is more like it. Just think what a winning season or two would do for attendance. Plus the school is still expanding until they hit 45,000.

I know I beat this to death but I hope they build the stadium bigger.

If Dodge pulls off the miracle and wins 7 plus games next year the stadium opening could be a very exciting year with attendance. I wonder who our home games will be in 2011, I hope that the OOC games are interesting teams, like Navy, Air Force, Army, Duke, Syracuse, Colorado St., Baylor, Tulane, Memphis, Maryland, anyone in the Mid American, etc. I thought Air Force owed us a home game?

I really think his "apathy" statement is in regards to next season...this is in response to everyone saying that they aren't going to come out and support this team next year. Especially all the hot heads on this board saying that they aren't renewing their season tickets.

I don't think this has much to do with the people that turned out for '09...but those that say they won't for '10

I don't feel the apathy is directed at fans not wanting to support the team. I think the apathy is directed at the coaching, and the choices being made about the coaching. Our attendence will take a hit if we don't win next year. Many on this board believe its going to be very difficult. But I don't think Mean Green Club memberships will be down.

I agree, I think the blog is referring to 2010 possible "apathy". And, I agree. That is one of the questions the fan base at UNT needs to answer. Does it support the program or not by "believing" in what RV and TD are trying to do in giving the head coach and his staff one more year to get it turned around. There is no disputing the fact that Mean Green fans have not been "treated" but rather "tricked" with only five wins. I know that makes some of our Mean green Nation members question their commitment to the program (and, unfortunately, some to UNT in general) and I can understand that. But, this is not, in my opinion, the time to abandon ship. If you sit down and really think about the situation, I believe you will realize that no one wants the program to suffer, and no one is doing anything but what they think is the right thing to do to "right the ship". It, as Spock might say, simply illogical to do otherwise.

The reasons why the alumni and students do not support the program in larger numbers is not an easy question to answer, and really goes much much deeper than the last three years of wins and losses as this thread's attendance figures reflect. I have my thoughts on why this is the case, and I have expressed them several times on this board. But, the fact is, the Mean green nation simply has to learn how to support a team and a program. Just as the football team itself needs to learn how to win, the fan base needs to learn how to really be a fan base. The core fans (many of whom are represented right here on GMG.com) will stay with the program, but others will come and go simply due to the season record. If you want to be a big time program, the fan base must act like it and "produce" just like the team does. I am proud of the core fan base UNT has for sticking with this program for so many years of ups and downs, and I am proud to call myself a member of that fan base.

Sometimes it's tough to support a team and a program and this may well be one of those times. But ask yourself how and why the Nebraska fans, the OU fans, the OSU fans stay through the tough times as well as the good times and why the SMU fans, UNT fans, etc. do not. Yes, I know UNT is not Nebraska, etc. and some here will certainly leap on that in their response, fair enough, but it is also fair to say that fans must learn to "win" as well as the team.

Anyway, I think it's time to rally the troops, to stop all these threads about how bad things are with TD, how Riley is only the QB because of his dad, how UNT can't recruit given the current situation and turn instead to what is RIGHT with the program and how, we, as loyal Mean Green Nation members might help the program advance. Sometimes it is just tough to keep the faith and I realize, for some, this is definitely that time. Again, fair enough, but I ask you to give RV and TD and UNT your support for 2010, as hard as that may be for some, as YOUR team, your school and your fellow Mean Green nation members need you NOW more than ever.

GO MEAN GREEN!

The fans are not the problem; see references to Army game and also consider Homecoming. Yes, I was disappointed at the student turnout for the WKU game, but human nature is what it is. We had lost 5 games in a row at that point, and we need to look at things realistically: at some point, if we're going to fill a 28k, or 30k, or whatever it's called, stadium consistently, we'll have to start winning more games. Period.

Rick

Add some additional perspective to those numbers. What did other schools in our approximate situation average in attendance this year:

Memphis (2-9) 21,118 (with a home opener attendance of 45,207)

Arkansas State (4-8) 17,689

Akron (2-9) 17,382

Miami, Ohio (1-11) 16,682 (with a home opener attendance of 41,037)

San Jose State (2-9) 15,343

FAU (4-7) 15,103

Western Kentucky (0-10) 14,103

Rice (2-10) 13,552

Ball State (1-10) 10,888

FIU (3-8) 10,228 (one home game to come this weekend)

Eastern Michigan (0-11) 5,016

We even had better attendance than Louisiana-Monroe (6-6) at 13,766;

and comparable attendance to Louisiana-Lafayette (6-6) 18,666 (with a home opener of 41,357)

Considering what North Texas has put on the field in the last three years, our attendance suggests you cannot blame the fans.

If this is what they meant than i still find it offensive. I don't plan on going to too many games next year. that is my way of protesting the decision made. That is the beauty about it all, i don't HAVE to be there. If they want me to care then they should give me a reason to care. And bringing back a 5-31 coach doesn't hep that at all. if they don't want these sentiments then do something about it. If they didn't want the customer to be apathetic about their product then they should have changed their product. So I don't want them to give me a line to shut up and blindly follow a program i don't believe in.

Add some additional perspective to those numbers. What did other schools in our approximate situation average in attendance this year:

Memphis (2-9) 21,118 (with a home opener attendance of 45,207)

Arkansas State (4-8) 17,689

Akron (2-9) 17,382

Miami, Ohio (1-11) 16,682 (with a home opener attendance of 41,037)

San Jose State (2-9) 15,343

FAU (4-7) 15,103

Western Kentucky (0-10) 14,103

Rice (2-10) 13,552

Ball State (1-10) 10,888

FIU (3-8) 10,228 (one home game to come this weekend)

Eastern Michigan (0-11) 5,016

We even had better attendance than Louisiana-Monroe (6-6) at 13,766;

and comparable attendance to Louisiana-Lafayette (6-6) 18,666 (with a home opener of 41,357)

Considering what North Texas has put on the field in the last three years, our attendance suggests you cannot blame the fans.

I totally agree.

If this is what they meant than i still find it offensive. I don't plan on going to too many games next year. that is my way of protesting the decision made. That is the beauty about it all, i don't HAVE to be there. If they want me to care then they should give me a reason to care. And bringing back a 5-31 coach doesn't hep that at all. if they don't want these sentiments then do something about it. If they didn't want the customer to be apathetic about their product then they should have changed their product. So I don't want them to give me a line to shut up and blindly follow a program i don't believe in.

Exactly! What the AD is asking is like Kia asking people to give them the same respect as Bentley.

So, really, this is a perceived projection of future potential apathy. Maybe we really have reached the end of football chat till...signing day? I refuse to put as much effort into apathy as this theory would require; it's easier to just sit through a game in a monsoon rain.

Edited by eulessismore

I refuse to give up on this program. I live out of town and traveled in for more games this year than I had in the past. Devastating loss after devastating loss has not soured me because the team is only one aspect of the Mean Green Experience. Last game I stayed in Denton and hung out in the square like it was an away game and it was a blast! I plan on doing that more often next fall.

I stopped going to away games because I couldn't take the devastation, but next year I plan on making some roadies again because they are part of the Mean Green Experience, and next year is different! Our motto should be EVERY GAME MATTERS! The team might even consider a rally cry in that spirit. Everything about Mean Green football will change next year, period - either we win or we have a new Mean Green philosophy, staff and experience coming in the front door as the current regime exits out the back.

Home or Away in 2010 Every Game Matters - it's like our own little bcs run to win or for change:)

GMG

I refuse to give up on this program. I live out of town and traveled in for more games this year than I had in the past. Devastating loss after devastating loss has not soured me because the team is only one aspect of the Mean Green Experience. Last game I stayed in Denton and hung out in the square like it was an away game and it was a blast! I plan on doing that more often next fall.

I stopped going to away games because I couldn't take the devastation, but next year I plan on making some roadies again because they are part of the Mean Green Experience, and next year is different! Our motto should be EVERY GAME MATTERS! The team might even consider a rally cry in that spirit. Everything about Mean Green football will change next year, period - either we win or we have a new Mean Green philosophy, staff and experience coming in the front door as the current regime exits out the back.

Home or Away in 2010 Every Game Matters - it's like our own little bcs run to win or for change:)

GMG

Change in the success of the program will not happen just by changing coaches. Hope for this program lies only in change of attitude in the highest level administration of UNT or change of such administrators to ones who have the right attitude. I am not just some football nut who doesn't care about the other missions of the university. I am seriously worried that NT is generally adrift. The woes of the football program are only one symptom of that. They will point to various signs of success and there are some, but I don't see this leading to greatness.

I also realize that long-term coaching stability is very important for building a successful program. However, I have seen enough games where our team is inept against inept competition to know that this is not leading to greatness either.

Now maybe the administration would like to come on here and show us all the 'big picture' they have. Have you seen it?

So, really, this is a perceived projection of future potential apathy. Maybe we really have reached the end of football chat till...signing day? I refuse to put as much effort into apathy as this theory would require; it's easier to just sit through a game in a monsoon rain.

We're hoping that the fans will keep coming back each year, but at some point, the losses will take their toll and I don't know when that's gonna be. I mean, let's say that the game against Army was instead a conference game...would that have brought the same attendance? I doubt it. The point is, if we wanna safeguard attendance, we get some damn wins already.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Rick

Rick, I believe that you were right the first time. The 1977 season contained two games which were played at Texas Stadium (SMU, UTA).

Rick, I believe that you were right the first time. The 1977 season contained two games which were played at Texas Stadium (SMU, UTA).

Your even more accurate than that, Jack?

On the online virtual football guide, under Records, and under Fouts Field Attendance, the 1977 season shows there to have been 4 games, leading you to believe they were all at Fouts because there is a separate section under "Top Texas Stadium Crowds". So I had assumed they had taken out the 2 games played at Texas Stadium(UTA and SMU) when including the 4 games played at Fouts, but they did not. I have no way of knowing the crowd attendance at Texas Stadium against UTA, but the one against SMU was 26,097. However, we had a crowd against UTA at Texas Stadium in '79 that drew 21,800.

The total attendance for the '77 season is listed as 78,397. So take the SMU(26,097) attendance of '77 out of it, and if you figure the '77 UTA game drew, near 21k?, your looking at a Fouts attendance average for 2 games that year was around 15,298, placing the '09 season well ahead of that. Same for the '97 season. It credits us with 4 home games when in fact we only had three. Take out the 45,923 for the Texas A&M game at Texas Stadium and our average home attendance for our three home games at Fouts was 10,965.

So actually, the '09 season attendance average was the 3rd largest attendance in Fouts Field history. The top home attendance average rankings should look like this.

Thanks for the heads up GEO.

Rick