Ohio Vs. Eastern Michigan For Mac Championship

NT80

Let me save the apologists some time. This Ohio team is night and day from the one who beat us. No, we are nowhere close to being MAC title contenders.

I'm not an apologist, but please give us your expert analysis of how the Ohio team is night and day from the one who beat us.

Edited by MeanGreen61

I'm not an apologist, but please give us your expert analysis of how the Ohio team is night and day from the one who beat us.

So, you're ignoring the fact it was the 2nd week of the year & there was a monsoon occurring? Plus, their Qb situation was an issue with injuries. This team plays Ohio right now and gets stomped.

But hey, we ALMOST beat them. We ALMOST fired Dodge, too. Oh well...

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1

So, you're ignoring the fact it was the 2nd week of the year & there was a monsoon occurring? Plus, their Qb situation was an issue with injuries. This team plays Ohio right now and gets stomped.

Maybe they do get stomped, but you are a fool if you are going to go along with the poster who suggested that the Ohio team is night and day from the beginning to the end of the season. Their first game of the season, Ohio kept it close with a very good Big East team in UConn. Early in the season they kept it close with Tennessee. Early in the season they beat the same Bowling Green team that beat Troy.

You might argue that their game with us was an aberration, but otherwise they have been pretty consistently good all season long. But who am I to let facts get in y'all's way?

Both teams played in the monsoon. UNT also had a QB injury issue in the game. But hey, you've got to go with your agenda, right ? Oh well..........

1. Were they playing in the second week of the year and we weren't? Did they have to play in a monsoon and we didn't?

2. Granted, their starter that night (Boo Jackson?) was already playing hurt. Then, he got knocked out of the game early enough that his backup (Theo Scott) came in and actually played better. I think it was when Scott got hurt last night that Ohio's hopes of winning (against Central Michigan) were gone. Also, as we all know, our starting quarterback got hurt; Tune came in and promptly threw a pick six, giving them their first lead of the game. In all fairness, it was a bad coaching decision to have Tune go out and start passing at that point, and Tune played well enough after that to send it into over overtime. But, they had QB injury issues and we didn't?

3. We weren't really stomping Ohio at any point. We had a chance to go up by a large enough margin just before halftime, down inside the 10 and the clock running out, to kick a field goal on a night when our kicking game was going well, and Dodge opted to go for it on fourth and short. If everything else went the same, if we had attempted and made that field goal, it would have been the difference in winning and losing. I haven't looked at the entire Ohio schedule, but I don't think they stomped anybody. I think they beat another team in the same fashion they did us, with a late or overtime touchdown and 2 point conversion. What is there to suggest that Ohio was capable of "stomping" anybody at any point in this season?

4. It might have made a big difference in our season if we had beaten them, as it would have given us 2 wins in a row for the first time in longer than Dodge has been here, and some here say that team confidence can be a factor in whether a team wins or loses. I do blame Dodge for going for it on 4th in that game, when I think the FG would have made a difference.

5. Did we almost fire Dodge? I don't really know, but I don't think RV was prepared for it at the time. Maybe there is reason to believe that "having played games closer than we did his first two years" is valid. I personally question his overall philosophy, which seems to be "build up a big lead and force them to pass on every down". If that is in fact his plan, it seems like a might be tough, to go from "losing by less than a touchdown" to building insurmountable leads. I'm willing to buy season tickets for one more year to see, whether or not that is true, what happens. I was certainly not opposed to the Dodge firing, but did find many of the arguments, pro and con here, to basically present arguments that I found lacking any logical or factual basis. Personally though, I don't understand why people can't be reasonable and see things my way. Some say that NCAA recruiting rules would require a decision to have been made before today, for a sufficient time window for recruiting. I don't know if that's true. Ever since coach firings, particularly the Solich firing (remember him?) have been getting enough media play to cause some to think; hey their loss, our gain, I have wondered whether some years might be better than others to pick up a head coach at a salary we are willing and able to pay.

Just trying to point out a few things, although some of them are in disagreement with what you wrote. And also, just so as not to say coaches or game plans or or rational processes rule, what about luck? What about Ohio's starting quarterback getting hurt and replaced by one who played better and helped them have a better season than last (or that most predicted) until that replacement quarterback was hurt last night?

Edited by eulessismore

Maybe they do get stomped, but you are a fool if you are going to go along with the poster who suggested that the Ohio team is night and day from the beginning to the end of the season. Their first game of the season, Ohio kept it close with a very good Big East team in UConn. Early in the season they kept it close with Tennessee. Early in the season they beat the same Bowling Green team that beat Troy.

You might argue that their game with us was an aberration, but otherwise they have been pretty consistently good all season long. But who am I to let facts get in y'all's way?

I couldve been more detailed in my reply. I was just trying to point out OU was pretty consistent while NT obviuosly regressed. Now run with that as you may.

• Upvote 1