Where Is The Motion?

glick1980

Motion won't solve any execution problems, but what it can do is give away the defensive coverage. When a guy is in motion and a defender shuffles to another position and the defense shifts over, you know you are looking at zone. When a defender whom is following the motion man turns his hips and runs across the formation, you know you are looking at man. In college, these teams are going to disguise their coverages as much as possible and I think using motion would help our QB's. How many times did you see Riley throw a pick right at a guy because he read man and it was zone? I do agree we need to execute much better, especially in the redzone. Can you say fullback?

Eh. Usually in the spread you have Man-beaters (lol that sounds dirty) and zone-beaters to the other or your wideouts read the coverage and adjust their routes accordingly. Putting guys in motion was a big concept of run and shoot offenses. The problem came when defenses started running zone-blitzes and messed up the reads.

So what does that mean? Well, like I said before, an offense is an offense, and if KiDodge is having trouble making the reads that our offense requires of him, he is probably going to have a problem making the reads in offenses that require motion. For some insight into why some teams don't like to use motion read this. His third point on being too multiple is where you'll find it.

Eh. Usually in the spread you have Man-beaters (lol that sounds dirty) and zone-beaters to the other or your wideouts read the coverage and adjust their routes accordingly. Putting guys in motion was a big concept of run and shoot offenses. The problem came when defenses started running zone-blitzes and messed up the reads.

So what does that mean? Well, like I said before, an offense is an offense, and if KiDodge is having trouble making the reads that our offense requires of him, he is probably going to have a problem making the reads in offenses that require motion. For some insight into why some teams don't like to use motion read this. His third point on being too multiple is where you'll find it.

Well, I just finished a long day of off-and-on college football conference championship game watching. Can you guess what I consistently saw done by every team in every game from the Florida-Bama game on through the tU-Nebraska game?

Motion, and lots of it.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Well, I just finished a long day of off and on college football conference championship game watching. Can you guess what I consistently saw done by every team in every game from the Florida-Bama game on through the tU-Nebraska game?

Motion, and lots of it.

Rick

I saw Nebraska and Texas (from inside their own 1 yard line) going from under center.

Excuse me, but NT's offense isn't even remotely close to tU's.

Bryant Seidle, our lone Tightend whose actually credited with a catch has 2 for 14 yards, and we don't even run a fullback at all that I have seen, although I may have blinked and missed it?

Texas on the other hand, has two TE's this year, Dan Buckner and Greg Smith. Buckner finished the regular season 3rd on the team in recepeptions with 41 catches for 431 yards (a 10.5 yard per catch average....My God!, Can You Imagine That????), and 4 TD's. Smith, their B tightend, had 6 catches for 48 yards.

Texas' main Fullback is Antwan Cobb, listed at 5'11'', 250 lbs, racked up 83 carries for 336 yards (4.0 average) and 12 TD's. I took the high output of TD's for a 250 lb man to mean that they go to him a lot on short yardage, especially in goal line situations. Again, Imagine That????

Obviously, Mack Brown has been at this college coaching thing for quite sometime.

Emmitt, don't hate me. I didn't make the comparison.

Rick

Rick,

Have never seen you this riled up! Obvious disdain for the Horns (referring to them as if an aggie) and pointed frustration with TD offense. Are you OK? Of all the regular posters here, you are always the calm, PC and rational statesman. Am concerned here!?

There's no time for motion. Our genius HC calls the play, Offense lines up, then checks based on D's formation. This could happen 2-3 times before every play. You've only got a few seconds to snap....

There's no more calling two plays in the huddle or one play with known checks, then the QB calls the signals giving off blocking scheme info, etc. All the while he's reading the D while possibly setting someone in motion. It's just a different game, now.

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1