Qb Spot A No Brainer?

emmitt01

First off, this is not meant as a "diss" on Riley or as "character assassination" (sorry to disappoint Kram, you'll have to find a new prez of the Riley haters club...does your wife know about your man crush on me?)

Riley Dodge- 10 games (including Western Kentucky). 1975 yds. 9 TDs. 15 INTs. Passer rating of 122.31. Of his 303 attempts every 21st one went to the wrong team. He did have 5 rushing TDs. I couldn't find the number of fumbles.

Nathan Tune- 4 games (including Troy and #2 Alabama). 646 yds. 5 TDs. 2 INTs. Passer rating of 126.88. Of his 107 attempts every 54th one went to the wrong colored jersey. He didn't run for any TDs.

I looked at these stats and thought to myself, given level of competition and frequency of drive ending mistakes that Tune was a better passer. Then I remembered that Dodge was just a lil' ol' redshirt freshman. So, I dug deeper and found that quitter, that cast away, Giovanni Vizza's 07 TRUE freshman numbers.

2388 yds. 17 TDs. 20 INTs. Of his 383 attempts every 20th one found its way to the other team. He also rushed for 2 TDs.

So, our parade all-American performed about like a guy that many said we would never miss. Yeah, I can totally see the logic behind the assumption that Riley should have the starting job by birthright (again, the obvious pun there being unintended).

Edited by emmitt01

Emmitt,

There is one thing about Riley that may not show up in the stats.

I would like to know what Dunbar's yards per carry average was when Riley was in the game, versus the QB's. To me, Riley was much more deceptive on the handoffs, which seemed to freeze the defensive players. IMO, this gave our RB's a distinct advantage when Riley was QB.

I am not 100% sold that Riley is our QB of the future. But, I think his leadership and value to this team can go beyond his passer rating.

Edited by akriesman

Emmitt,

I would like to know what Dunbar's yards per carry average was when Riley was in the game, versus the QB's. To me, Riley was much more deceptive on the handoffs, which seemed to freeze the defensive players. IMO, this gave our RB's a distinct advantage when Riley was QB.

I am not 100% sold that Riley is our QB of the future. But, I think his leadership and value to this team can go beyond his passer rating.

Very good point, although I think Riley's running threat had more to do with this than any handoff deception.

If we could only put Vizza's arm on Riley's body and order Riley a pair of platform cleats, we would have the perfect QB.

Or, to solve Emmitt's dilema, how about we play Riley between the 20's and Tune in the red zone. We could even have a special red zone offense that took snaps from under center when Tune was in the game.

How do you game plan against that offensive wizardry?

Edited by UNT90

Emmit,

How are you gong to quantify, leadership (imo the most important variable in a QB)? Riley is the clear winner, Vizza had BIG problems here, Tune I have no clue.

Look at past QB's we have had that have put up wins, they were not the best throwers or runners, they just won.

Remember, football is a TEAM SPORT!

Are you on the team? Do you know that Riley is the better leader? And I would like to point out that we were bad this season no matter who the QB was.

Are you on the team? Do you know that Riley is the better leader? And I would like to point out that we were bad this season no matter who the QB was.

Do you have eyes? and have seen any games this year or heard any of the QB's talk?have you communicated with the players or there parents?

As far as Riley as a leader-Better than Vizza? NO QUESTION Riley wins, and I did say I have no clue Riley Vs. Tune. Can you read?

Insert your head back into Emmit's back side, come back when you have something positive to add

Edited by MeanGreenSig

Do you have eyes? and have seen any games this year or heard any of the QB's talk?have you communicated with the players or there parents?

As far as Riley as a leader-Better than Vizza? NO QUESTION Riley wins, and I did say I have no clue Riley Vs. Tune. Can you read?

Insert your head back into Emmit's back side, come back when you have something positive to add

I do talk with some of the Parents at tailgating and it sounds like Tune is a extraordinary leader. I am very glad we have him.

I heard mixed reviews about Vizza.

Emmitt,

In the intrest of fairness, Dodge didn't have to qb against Bama or Troy, and Tune played better then Dodge in the Arkansas State game. His long ball got us back in the game, and Dunbar was still running great. If he got in sooner,we may have even won.

In the intrest of fairness, Dodge didn't have to qb against Bama or Troy, and Tune played better then Dodge in the Arkansas State game. His long ball got us back in the game, and Dunbar was still running great. If he got in sooner,we may have even won.

Am I mistaken, but didn't Tune also bring them back into the game against FAU?

You have a nice day too.

Emmit,

How are you gong to quantify, leadership (imo the most important variable in a QB)? Riley is the clear winner, Vizza had BIG problems here, Tune I have no clue.

Look at past QB's we have had that have put up wins, they were not the best throwers or runners, they just won.

According to your post, you quantify leadership by winning. How many wins have we had with Riley and how many did we have with Vizza?

Would be nice if we could have a fair competition for the position. Would be nice if RV would hire an Assistant Head Coach who reports directly to RV. Would be nice if the three of them sat down and voted on who the starting QB should be at the end of 2 a days. Would be nice to live in the World of Oz.

You won't find that happening in any college in America, against all management rules and procedures...bad idea

You won't find that happening in any college in America, against all management rules and procedures...bad idea

We may not agree on much lately, but we certainly agree on this.

You can't have a guy in charge of something if his subordinates aren't accountable to him. If a situation like this ever seems like a viable idea, there's a greater problem at work, and there needs to be a change rather than a bizarre Chutes and Ladders organizational structure that undermines everyone supposedly in authority and makes for a paranoid environment.

Emmit,

check yor PM.

Uhhhhhhh..... How can you have a discussion of Riley and not mention the injuries. He is reaching late 70s/early 80s Bill Walton status.

Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming come to mind also. Certainly haven't given up on the guy yet, but I am honestly a bit concerned for his safety as an everyday QB. Hope what we have seen so far in that area is just an anomaly of some sort.