Recruiting Comparison

gangrene

I'm happy with the four known commits we currently have (three are listed here on Rivals), but when I start looking at other schools we should be competing against for these recruits like SMU, Rice, Troy, UTEP and Arkansas State, I get this sick feeling in the pit of my stomach like I just want to vomit. SMU has ELEVEN 3-star recruits (and had most of them already committed before they started winning this season).

Tulane's football program is, arguably, in the worst financial position of any FCS school, but Rivals shows that they have 19 commits already, with three of those being 3-stars. Eastern Michigan didn't win a single game this year, but it looks like they have a better start on 2010 recruiting than we do. FIU has six 3-star and 11 overall commits. Likewise, Ball State and Akron, who doesn't even have a coach right now, both look to be doing well.

In all fairness, MTSU, FAU, La-La and W. Kentucky all appear to be struggling so....maybe I'm over-reacting???

But, when I read that a start-up program like UTSA reportedly has 19 recruits already committed (Rivals only shows eight), I tend to get just a bit worried.

I'm really, really trying to stay positive here. Come on Dodge and staff, let's get out there and win (or steal) some really good recruits. If the schools I've mentioned here, most of which our in a good deal of distress themselves, can do it...then why the hell can't we???

I'm happy with the four known commits we currently have (three are listed here on Rivals), but when I start looking at other schools we should be competing against for these recruits like SMU, Rice, Troy, UTEP and Arkansas State, I get this sick feeling in the pit of my stomach like I just want to vomit. SMU has ELEVEN 3-star recruits (and had most of them already committed before they started winning this season).

Tulane's football program is, arguably, in the worst financial position of any FCS school, but Rivals shows that they have 19 commits already, with three of those being 3-stars. Eastern Michigan didn't win a single game this year, but it looks like they have a better start on 2010 recruiting than we do. FIU has six 3-star and 11 overall commits. Likewise, Ball State and Akron, who doesn't even have a coach right now, both look to be doing well.

In all fairness, MTSU, FAU, La-La and W. Kentucky all appear to be struggling so....maybe I'm over-reacting???

But, when I read that a start-up program like UTSA reportedly has 19 recruits already committed (Rivals only shows eight), I tend to get just a bit worried.

I'm really, really trying to stay positive here. Come on Dodge and staff, let's get out there and win (or steal) some really good recruits. If the schools I've mentioned here, most of which our in a good deal of distress themselves, can do it...then why the hell can't we???

[/quote

Last year NT had 4 commits early on...the rest mainly came in December and January....this year we have 4 known commits early on and 1 unknown commit...I would love to say this recruiting season will be as good as last year...but with the Dodge firing, renewal situation and everyone calling for his firing I have no idea how it will turn out. I understand from talking with one of the coaches that they were taking a beating and the coaches we were recruiting aginst were telling our prospects that Dodge was going to be fired and would not be back next year.

My buddy that plays for Kilgore College told me that he saw some UNT coaches at the field house yesterday. I hope they pick up some juco players in the SWFJC.

I hope we can get some of the Euless Trinity players who went there. Maybe the chance to play at UNT might look a little better after two years there.

Last year NT had 4 early commitments in June and July 08.. This year we had 4 known commits by June plus the unknown 5th commit, The remaining recruits were committed in November thru February with Stradford before mid-term and a late signing or 2 afterwards. We had a good number of high ranked players 3* committed...just can't recall how many, but of the 5 late transfers they were 2-3*, 1-4* and 1-5* but the 5* was by Max emfinger.

My concern is not about the quality of recruits due to commitment dates, but the effect on our recruiting when our coaches told me our prospects were being hit hard being told that Dodge was going to be fired and would not be there for them if they committed to North Texas. It sure didn't help that his return drug out so long after the season ended.

***********************************************************************************************************************

I understand from talking with one of the coaches that they were taking a beating and the coaches we were recruiting aginst were telling our prospects that Dodge was going to be fired and would not be back next year.

That doesn't surprise me one bit, and it shouldn't surprise RV either. No matter what decision he was going to make, it should have been made the day after our last game.

Last year NT had 4 early commitments in June and July 08.. This year we had 4 known commits by June plus the unknown 5th commit, The remaining recruits were committed in November thru February with Stradford before mid-term and a late signing or 2 afterwards. We had a good number of high ranked players 3* committed...just can't recall how many, but of the 5 late transfers they were 2-3*, 1-4* and 1-5* but the 5* was by Max emfinger.

My concern is not about the quality of recruits due to commitment dates, but the effect on our recruiting when our coaches told me our prospects were being hit hard being told that Dodge was going to be fired and would not be there for them if they committed to North Texas. It sure didn't help that his return drug out so long after the season ended.

We may not be behind where we were this time last year, but we are certainly behind a lot of other schools in situations similar to ours. Again, I agree that our recruiting suffered by the delay in a formal decision being announced. I hope the coaching staff can make up for lost time because we've got a long way to go. It's just discouraging to see all of these other teams (SMU, in particular) pulling in both quantity and quality recruits while we're still sitting around trying to evaluate our competitiveness.