What Makes Year Four Different?

GoMeanGreen1999

If FT wins 3-4 games next year, why is that not good enough? The reason I ask this is because let's say Dodge wins Four games next season which would double any other season. Now the fifth year a lot of these players will be seniors with even more experince. So now in year four we win 4 games with another 4 games being 10 points or less - why not bring him back for a fifth year for the same arguments as the fouth year?

If FT wins 3-4 games next year, why is that not good enough? The reason I ask this is because let's say Dodge wins Four games next season which would double any other season. Now the fifth year a lot of these players will be seniors with even more experince. So now in year four we win 4 games with another 4 games being 10 points or less - why not bring him back for a fifth year for the same arguments as the fouth year?

Because for the first time RV is saying it will be different, that he will not be satisfied with a .500 record. At least that is what I think he has said because some of the quotes between the DMN article and the one on the athletics website attribute the quotes to different people.

Because for the first time RV is saying it will be different, that he will not be satisfied with a .500 record. At least that is what I think he has said because some of the quotes between the DMN article and the one on the athletics website attribute the quotes to different people.

It sounds like a goal is at least being inferred (by the fans, based on what RV said). However, I haven't read anything to indicate that TD expects to do anything differently. To me, it seems like my lawn improvements; I put in a patchwork of St. Augustine grass last summer (fortunately we had late summer rains), it's kind of started to put out runners, giving me hope that the gaps will be filled based on what I have already done. I have a duplex, and as a part of the lease agreement, require the tenant to mow and edge, which he pays his kid to do; I will also pay the kid to apply fertilizer if it appears necessary. I don't expect to do much if any additional work, but I expect to see impressive results.

So does the fact that he is now saying that .500 will not make him happy mean that he has been happy so far? I have to be honest with you, I would be estatic if this team went .500 next year. In fact, I would be for an extention if we got to .500 next year. That would mean more wins in the fourth year than the total of the first three years.

That being said, I think RV is being unrealistic based on what FT has done thus far and is setting himself up for being unhappy next year because I honestly do not see 7 wins on the schedule.

Here's a fun hypothetical for you:

Suppose that next year we win 2 or 3 games decisively (10 or more points). We win two more on last second drives, two more on last minute drives that the other team fails to convert.

We're .500 or 7-5. But we're only 4 plays away from being 2-10 or 3-9.

Does the fact that we're just a few plays away from being 2-10 again work the same way as being "a few plays away" from 6 wins did this year?

Or could it be that the whole "X Plays Away From _____" is a bullshit rationalization, not a legitimate reason?

I'm really torn with this decision. My morbid curiosity wants to see Dodge back next year with the new offensive weapons finally seeing the field. However, I've been excited about similarly touted players (Fentriss and Horton to name a few) in the Dodge era, only to be disappointed when they never stepped foot on the field or failed to live up to their expected potential.

I was really excited at thought of the possibly infusing this coaching staff with some new, yet college-experienced, coaching blood.

If football season came more than once a year, I'd be totally on board with giving Dodge one last chance to prove that this team's losing ways are really attributed to immaturity/inexperience, not having Dodge's "players" and every other excuse anyone has given to explain this disaster. But, a year is a long, long time to wait/waste, especially when you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel (for all the smoke that's being blown up our @@$).

We've got the stadium to fall back on. Let's hope it's construction goes as planned so that it is ready in 2011. I don't think Rick wants to open NT's first year at a new house with a losing coach. If Dodge does post less than a .500 record, it's a no brainer to bring in a new coach. It just makes too much sense, but then again................... :ph34r:

Because for the first time RV is saying it will be different, that he will not be satisfied with a .500 record.

I would like to think playing in the Belt , sitting in the best recruiting area in the whole country, that our AD would never be satisfied with just a .500 record.

I don't care what the circumstances are , the UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS should be in title contention year in and year out for the SUNBELT TITLE.

That being said, I think RV is being unrealistic based on what FT has done thus far and is setting himself up for being unhappy next year because I honestly do not see 7 wins on the schedule.

7-5 needs to be a firm line in the sand. TD going from 2-10 to 7-5 would probably put him on some coach-of-the-year ballots. What I fear is the 7-5 benchmark getting revisited and watered down if we were to beat Rice and Army and finish 5-7 or 6-6.