North Texas Ad: 'we Do Keep Score'

UNTflyer

Todd Dodge will be the head football coach at North Texas in 2010, but the message from the university is clear: Win or else.

UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal said Wednesday that he talked with Dodge about the program this week and discussed an "aggressive and demanding" set of expectations for next season.

"I would tell you that .500 would not be a number I'd be excited about," Villarreal said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=4707064

So if .500 isnt something that would make him satisifed, then what makes him expect that 7-5 or 8-4 is achieveable... Has he even seen the schedule of opponents we are playing next season

Well, when Sam Houston rolls in here next season instead of K-State, his chances of getting one win increased--slightly.

Todd Dodge will be the head football coach at North Texas in 2010, but the message from the university is clear: Win or else.

UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal said Wednesday that he talked with Dodge about the program this week and discussed an "aggressive and demanding" set of expectations for next season.

"I would tell you that .500 would not be a number I'd be excited about," Villarreal said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=4707064

He might not be excited about it, but 5 wins and Dodge comes back for a fifth year, though I think if he wins 4 he gets a 5th year.

So if .500 isnt something that would make him satisifed, then what makes him expect that 7-5 or 8-4 is achieveable... Has he even seen the schedule of opponents we are playing next season

Probably not. You should email it to him.

RV's quote means that anything less than 7-5 in 2010 is an unsuccessful season. He's making that the yardstick for success.

That ought to be fun to remember in one year when we are arguing on GoMeanGreen. This year, people who expected more than 2 wins have been called a bunch of haters.

So the ol' tag line of "we're a young team" keeps coming up even after 3 freakin' seasons????? I wonder if Dodge will use that excuse again in 2010 and RV will buy it once again? Change 6 plays and we're 6-6??? Change six plays & we're 0-12, too, RV.

I can't explain how frustrated I am right now.

So the ol' tag line of "we're a young team" keeps coming up even after 3 freakin' seasons????? I wonder if Dodge will use that excuse again in 2010 and RV will buy it once again? Change 6 plays and we're 6-6??? Change six plays & we're 0-12, too, RV.

I can't explain how frustrated I am right now.

Actually, RV commented we will be going from one of the youngest teams to one of the oldest next year. Other teams in the conference will have more of their two-deep players graduating while ours will be becoming Seniors and Juniors. He is saying the "we're a young team" will NOT be an excuse next year.

Actually, RV commented we will be going from one of the youngest teams to one of the oldest next year. Other teams in the conference will have more of their two-deep players graduating while ours will be becoming Seniors and Juniors. He is saying the "we're a young team" will NOT be an excuse next year.

Hmm, that's not what this says:

"While I am undoubtedly disappointed in the final record of this year's team, I have seen signs of improvement that validate my belief that we can turn this program around," Dodge said in a statement. "We were one of the youngest teams in the Sun Belt Conference this season and with 19 starters returning next year, we will have the experience to get us over the hump in close games like the ones we lost this season."

"While I am undoubtedly disappointed in the final record of this year's team, I have seen signs of improvement that validate my belief that we can turn this program around," Dodge said in a statement. "We were one of the youngest teams in the Sun Belt Conference this season and with 19 starters returning next year, we will have the experience to get us over the hump in close games like the ones we lost this season."

I was referring to this quote from the Denton RC article, "We are getting better offensively and are going to go from being one of the youngest teams in the conference to being one of the oldest."

However, the section you quoted, RV said "We will have the experience to get us over the hump" which means we will have an older and more experienced team.

In both cases, RV says we will not be young next year.

I guess I am confused: Is it the lack of older players that is keeping FT's win/loss record down or is it the lack of talent that keeps FT's winning percentage down? I mean I am quite certain it is not he or the other coaches. In fact, I think we will probably be looking for a new OC before the start of the season.....isn't Todd Ford up for the Louisville job?

that's great that he SAYS it, but we weren't younger than just about any other team in Texas this year. Point is, I don't buy any tough talk or improvement talk until we see ANY indicator that there's some teeth to it.

RV said in the conference, not in Texas.

We'll all have to wait till this time next year to see if there has been any real improvement.

So we need 7 wins next year. I mean this in all sincerity, can anyone think of seven potential wins on the schedule? I'm not looking for sarcastic replies either, I'm dead serious. We'd basically have to win every Sun Belt game like the NT Golden Age of the Sunbelt days to reach that mark.

So we need 7 wins next year. I mean this in all sincerity, can anyone think of seven potential wins on the schedule? I'm not looking for sarcastic replies either, I'm dead serious. We'd basically have to win every Sun Belt game like the NT Golden Age of the Sunbelt days to reach that mark.

You have to begin with the assumption that we'll be a better team next year to even begin the conversation. And assuming we don't have a mass exodus of players, we definitely should be better, with another year's experience. Even a slightly better team whups up on Army this year, so we should expect to beat them. We should beat Rice. That's 2 wins OOC. That leaves us 5 Belt wins necessary. Troy will still be out of our league, and probably MUTS too. Anybody else I see as a potential win. ULM was the only other team that thrashed us, but they should be down next year, depending on who their new coach is. That's 6 potential Belt wins.

By no means am I saying it's going to happen, but 7 wins should be a realistic expectation. A lot of it depends on what happens between now and August.