What Returning Next Year

GrandGreen

While waiting for the big decision, a look at what NT should/could have coming back.

QB-Everyone returning- A lot of people don't like Dodge as QB and his many injuries do raise serious questions. However, he was third in the conference in average total yardage as a red shirt freshman. It is also questionable he will return if a new coach is hired. I think QB will be a real question going into next season. If Dodge is not the answer, NT better look for a juco to take over the position. I have never understood why Dodge backed up Riley with two drop back passers who basically can't run the same offense.

RB- Lose Montgomery, but position should be super strong with Dunbar. Good supporting cast with Hamilton, Mosley, and Mathis.

WR- Lose Dickerson, but all starters return plus heralded redshirts Cole and Stradford. Big question mark going into last season but looks like a good cast next year.

OL- Lose Menard, Hollovay, Bailey, return four starters plus Freely who started as a freshman. Also return Tomlison who started several games and a good cast of redshirts in Franklin, Flax and Noble. The offensive line with three year starters Santiago and Drake and two year starters Johnson and Gill should be best in the Belt.

The offense should be loaded, but the quarterback issue could derail a potentially very good offense.

DL- Lose Gilmore and apparently Owusu-Hemeng, but everyone else who played meaningful minutes returns. I think the defensive line was the biggest issue going into last year and still is next year. NT had some success with its small de's Obi and Akpunka, but Gilmore was their best player once the coaches, who apparently couldn't see what even the most causal fan could, decided that he was best at de. I assume Weber was redshirted and he could provide some size at the DE position. I think Cantly who like Gilmore was slotted in the wrong position for a lot of the year should be a dt. DE is thin and numbers as well as size, definitely need help. DT was a game of musical chairs last year with Gilmore, Desoto, White, Atkinson, Jackson, Ross and Cantly all playing. At times they played well, but they were inconsistent.

LB- Lose Nwigwe, but return all starters at the end of the season. I believe this position needs a lot of help next year. Look for Penson, Robertson to start with the third linebacker coming from Shorter, Phillips or redshirt Herron. Need numbers and play-makers.

Starters may be adequate but little depth.

DB- Lose Adams and Bush (did he ever play?), return 3 starters in Royce Hill, Smith, and Cooks. Should be really strong next year if they can find a good corner to replace Adams. Could move Smith back to CB and start Williams.

Although the defense returns 10 starters from the last game. I am still concerned particularly with the defensive line. Lots of bodies returning but I haven't seen any dominating talent.

Overall, I think it is obvious that NT should have more talent returning next year than in the last 5 years. Unfortunately that is not saying a whole lot. I do think pending the QB situation that should be good enough to be a middle of the pack Belt team, but I don't too many are going to be satisfied with that. The offense could be something special with a strong running game and potentially strong receiving corp and a veteran line. The defense should be Belt average but they also could be much better with just a few key additions and improvement in their defensive line play.

While waiting for the big decision, a look at what NT should/could have coming back.

QB-Everyone returning- A lot of people don't like Dodge as QB and his many injuries do raise serious questions. However, he was third in the conference in average total yardage as a red shirt freshman. It is also questionable he will return if a new coach is hired. I think QB will be a real question going into next season. If Dodge is not the answer, NT better look for a juco to take over the position. I have never understood why Dodge backed up Riley with two drop back passers who basically can't run the same offense.

RB- Lose Montgomery, but position should be super strong with Dunbar. Good supporting cast with Hamilton, Mosley, and Mathis.

WR- Lose Dickerson, but all starters return plus heralded redshirts Cole and Stradford. Big question mark going into last season but looks like a good cast next year.

OL- Lose Menard, Hollovay, Bailey, return four starters plus Freely who started as a freshman. Also return Tomlison who started several games and a good cast of redshirts in Franklin, Flax and Noble. The offensive line with three year starters Santiago and Drake and two year starters Johnson and Gill should be best in the Belt.

The offense should be loaded, but the quarterback issue could derail a potentially very good offense.

DL- Lose Gilmore and apparently Owusu-Hemeng, but everyone else who played meaningful minutes returns. I think the defensive line was the biggest issue going into last year and still is next year. NT had some success with its small de's Obi and Akpunka, but Gilmore was their best player once the coaches, who apparently couldn't see what even the most causal fan could, decided that he was best at de. I assume Weber was redshirted and he could provide some size at the DE position. I think Cantly who like Gilmore was slotted in the wrong position for a lot of the year should be a dt. DE is thin and numbers as well as size, definitely need help. DT was a game of musical chairs last year with Gilmore, Desoto, White, Atkinson, Jackson, Ross and Cantly all playing. At times they played well, but they were inconsistent.

LB- Lose Nwigwe, but return all starters at the end of the season. I believe this position needs a lot of help next year. Look for Penson, Robertson to start with the third linebacker coming from Shorter, Phillips or redshirt Herron. Need numbers and play-makers.

Starters may be adequate but little depth.

DB- Lose Adams and Bush (did he ever play?), return 3 starters in Royce Hill, Smith, and Cooks. Should be really strong next year if they can find a good corner to replace Adams. Could move Smith back to CB and start Williams.

Although the defense returns 10 starters from the last game. I am still concerned particularly with the defensive line. Lots of bodies returning but I haven't seen any dominating talent.

Overall, I think it is obvious that NT should have more talent returning next year than in the last 5 years. Unfortunately that is not saying a whole lot. I do think pending the QB situation that should be good enough to be a middle of the pack Belt team, but I don't too many are going to be satisfied with that. The offense could be something special with a strong running game and potentially strong receiving corp and a veteran line. The defense should be Belt average but they also could be much better with just a few key additions and improvement in their defensive line play.

Nice analysis, but I'll believe that our DB's will be really strong when I see it. I thought this was going to be our weakest area before the season began, and we were flat out terrible this year in my opinion. I kind of thought we would be a little more consistent in the front seven, but unfortunately we never knew what we would get from week to week. Hopefully their will be more consistency in some area next year. After this season, I'll take it in any aspect of the game. Hopefully it begins with coaching.

Nice analysis, but I'll believe that our DB's will be really strong when I see it. I thought this was going to be our weakest area before the season began, and we were flat out terrible this year in my opinion. I kind of thought we would be a little more consistent in the front seven, but unfortunately we never knew what we would get from week to week. Hopefully their will be more consistency in some area next year. After this season, I'll take it in any aspect of the game. Hopefully it begins with coaching.

This is what I don't like about today's coaches. Back in the day the best players played Defense! Now the best player plays QB then the the next play WR and RB then they put whats left at DB. I would think that a guy who played QB in highschool just because he was the best athlete would be a great DB, he would know what the offense wants to do plus he is a good athlete. I would rather have a shutdown corner then a 1000 yard WR any day. Then if you need some offense put him in the slot.

Was it really the DB's ? Or, was it the lack of pressure put on by the DL ? Maybe both ?

Good pressure from the front can make a secondary look awefully good....or bad.

I do think that the tackling has improved over last year. But, that is not saying much.