Question

Mean Green 93-98

I'm kind of on the fence about the whole "Should he stay or should he go" thing. On the one hand, I'm curious to see if one more year can do it; on the other, I'm afraid of the long-term damage another 2-10 campaign will do to this program. But one thing I wonder about--does TD believe he will win next year? Of course, he will say he believes he can win; but does he really believe he will win? A coach needs to have confidence, maybe even a little swagger. But it seemed following the MUTS loss and from there on out, each postgame discussion grew more and more despondent. Each loss was "heart-breaking" and "gut-wrenching." Several times he said he had no answer why they did not win. It seems there ought to have been a few times when he was angry because he could put his finger exactly on why they lost.

Assuming RV is contemplating keeping TD's services for next season, he needs to determine honestly if TD believes he will win next year, and if he has yet figured out why we lost games, and how he plans to correct those deficiencies.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

He believes. The team needs defensive help and a kicker. Fill these needs and wins will come. It really is to the point where it is that simple.

We had offensive problems this year too, it was not just defense and kicking that kept us from winning. Lack of third down success, turnovers, red zone failures, and few deep ball completions are just some of the areas that need work. It is still a major work in progress.

First time in 94 year history of North Texas football that the offense had three straight years over 4000 yards of total offense. Just sayin.

Defense is where this team is lacking and a special team kicker. It really isn't all doom and gloom at North Texas. Bring in three to four defensive guys, they may already be here too, tweak it with a little attitude on defense, sit back and enjoy. It really is that close and simple.

First time in 94 year history of North Texas football that the offense had three straight years over 4000 yards of total offense. Just sayin.

Defense is where this team is lacking and a special team kicker. It really isn't all doom and gloom at North Texas. Bring in three to four defensive guys, they may already be here too, tweak it with a little attitude on defense, sit back and enjoy. It really is that close and simple.

Other than every single year of Dodge's tenure, only once in North Texas' 94 year history have we had double digit losses in a single season. Once in 91 years, then 3 for 3 under Dodge.

The only other time it happened was almost 40 years ago.

We fired Rod Rust and our next hire was an experienced, proven coach who took us to .500 in his first season: Hayden Fry.

Don't forget punt unit blocking and vertical passing game, both huge weaknesses again this year.

So thats special teams, defense, and part of the offense. A lot to fix in a year, especially when it hasn't been fixed in the last three.

A lot of the yards were negated by failures/turnovers in the red zone. I think a better measure of the offense is scoring offense. Granted, we improved by about 6 points a game this year (to around 26ppg), but still huge problems in short yardage situations/red zone/turnovers.

I lack the faith in Coach Dodge to fix these thing. 3 years, and we still can't kick a PAT. That's pretty basic football, but we can't seem to get it done. That is coaching, plain and simple. How long do we have to wait to see improvement?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLCJEYLIBQY

Other than every single year of Dodge's tenure, only once in North Texas' 94 year history have we had double digit losses in a single season.

We have had double digit losses every single season I have been following North Texas football. Perhaps you meant to insert a number between "had" and "double"?

EDIT: NM, you're talking about number of losses, not point differential.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

We have had double digit losses every single season I have been following North Texas football. Perhaps you meant to insert a number between "had" and "double"?

I think he meant our record.......double digits in number of losses for the season.

Don't forget punt unit blocking and vertical passing game, both huge weaknesses again this year.

So thats special teams, defense, and part of the offense. A lot to fix in a year, especially when it hasn't been fixed in the last three.

A lot of the yards were negated by failures/turnovers in the red zone. I think a better measure of the offense is scoring offense. Granted, we improved by about 6 points a game this year (to around 26ppg), but still huge problems in short yardage situations/red zone/turnovers.

I lack the faith in Coach Dodge to fix these thing. 3 years, and we still can't kick a PAT. That's pretty basic football, but we can't seem to get it done. That is coaching, plain and simple. How long do we have to wait to see improvement?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLCJEYLIBQY

Uh, what about blocking for FG and PAT attempts? Or is there a consensus that Knott is the only one who should end up under the bus, like the Augie Dawgie (OG something or other) poster was saying? Not saying Knott doesn't bear some of the blame in this, but is he the ONLY one?

Edited by eulessismore

Uh, what about blocking for FG attempts? Or is there a consensus that Knott is the only one who should end up under the bus, like the Augie Dawgie (OG something or other) poster was saying?

Nope. You are right. But why even try to fight that battle when there is so much more from which to choose.

Yep. Sorry, I didn't realize it was unclear.

I mean we've only lost 10 or more games in a season once in 91 years. And then 3 straight times under Dodge.

WOW....never really thought about that...Three straight seasons with 10 losses each. I don't know what's more amazing....that fact or that there is more than half this board that wants Dodge back for another year.

WOW....never really thought about that...Three straight seasons with 10 losses each. I don't know what's more amazing....that fact or that there is more than half this board that wants Dodge back for another year.

I wonder how many of these guys wanting him back have their own kids on scholarship? :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

Yep. Sorry, I didn't realize it was unclear.

I mean we've only lost 10 or more games in a season once in 91 years. And then 3 straight times under Dodge.

Now to fair there are several seasons with 10 or less total games in a season, not to take away your point. Dodges record is beyond horrible, and I think it is clear if we have the option financially as has been implied I think s new coach is a no brainier.

Now to fair there are several seasons with 10 or less total games in a season, not to take away your point. Dodges record is beyond horrible, and I think it is clear if we have the option financially as has been implied I think s new coach is a no brainier.

Very true, and very fair as a counterpoint.

But it's tough to rack up 4,000 yards of total offense in an 8, 9, or 10 game season, too.

We haven't had that many 1 and 2 win seasons, either. That's a better measure, but more time consuming to count.

4000 yards a year and five wins to show for it, big deal. Empty numbers in my opinion. Lots of teams rack up yards between the 20's just like we do, but we lack the ability to finish drives. As for the defense, yes it could be better, but how many times have they been asked to defend a short field due to a turnover or special teams blunder. As for Knott, he does deserve some blame, but am I the only one seeing field goals being blocked a full yard behind the line? Go back and watch some replays and see how fast defenders get around the edge on our o-line. It's no wonder he's pushing PAT's wide. These are all coaching points and Dodge is the head coach. Get rid of Dodge or his staff or both but something has to change. And if players want to leave because of a change, let them go. There will be others to replace them.

4000 yards a year and five wins to show for it, big deal. Empty numbers in my opinion. Lots of teams rack up yards between the 20's just like we do, but we lack the ability to finish drives. As for the defense, yes it could be better, but how many times have they been asked to defend a short field due to a turnover or special teams blunder. As for Knott, he does deserve some blame, but am I the only one seeing field goals being blocked a full yard behind the line? Go back and watch some replays and see how fast defenders get around the edge on our o-line. It's no wonder he's pushing PAT's wide. These are all coaching points and Dodge is the head coach. Get rid of Dodge or his staff or both but something has to change. And if players want to leave because of a change, let them go. There will be others to replace them.

No, a few others of us have mentioned this; I think we're starting to be heard. My manager at work looked at his recorded version of the Army game, said the Army guy who blocked the FG didn't come completely free, but free enough.