Current Coaches In Their Second And Third Seasons

Third Year Coaches

Troy Calhoun, Air Force

Three years prior to hire: 5-6, 4-7, 4-8 = 13-21

Three years after hire: 9-4b, 8-5b, 7-5b with a bowl game remaining = 24-14

Nick Saban, Alabama

Three years prior to hire: 6-6b, 10-2b, 6-7b = 22-15

Three years after hire: 7-6b, 12-2b, 12-0b with SEC Championship and bowl games remaining = 31-8

Neil Callaway, Alabama-Birmingham

Three years prior to hire: 7-5b, 5-6, 3-9 = 15-20

Three years after hire: 2-10, 4-8, 5-7 = 11-25

Dennis Erickson, Arizona State

Three years prior to hire: 9-3b, 7-5b, 7-6b = 23-14

Three years after hire: 10-3b, 5-7, 4-8 = 19-18

Butch Jones, Central Michigan

Three years prior to hire: 4-7, 6-5, 10-4b = 20-16

Three years after hire: 8-6b, 8-5b, 10-2b with MAC Championship and bowl games remaining = 26-13

Brian Kelly, Cincinnati

Three years prior to hire: 7-5b, 4-7, 8-5b = 19-17

Three years after hire: 10-3b, 11-3b, 11-0b with bowl game remaining = 32-6

Mario Cristobal, Florida International

Three years prior to hire: 3-7, 5-6, 0-12 = 8-25

Three years after hire: 1-11, 5-7, 3-8 = 9-26

Robb Akey, Idaho

Three years prior to hire: 3-9, 2-9, 4-8 = 9-26

Three years after hire: 1-11, 2-10, 7-5b with bowl game remaining = 10-26

Bill Lynch, Indiana

Three years prior to hire: 3-8, 4-7, 5-7 = 12-22

Three years after hire: 7-6b, 3-9, 4-8 = 14-23

Derek Dooley, Louisiana Tech

Three years prior to hire: 6-6, 7-4, 3-10 = 16-20

Three years after hire: 5-7, 8-5b, 3-8 = 16-20

Steve Kragthorpe, Louisville FIRED

Three years prior to hire: 11-1b, 9-3b, 12-1b = 32-5

Three years after hire: 6-6, 5-7, 4-8 = 15-21

Randy Shannon, Miami

Three years prior to hire: 9-3b, 9-3b, 7-6b = 25-12

Three years after hire: 5-7, 7-6b, 9-3b with bowl game remaining = 21-16

Mark Dantonio, Michigan State

Three years prior to hire: 5-7, 5-6, 4-8 = 14-21

Three years after hire: 7-6b, 9-4b, 6-6 with a possible bowl game remaining = 22-16

Tim Brewster, Minnesota

Three years prior to hire: 7-5b, 7-5b, 6-7b = 20-17

Three years after hire: 1-11, 7-6b, 6-6 with a possible bowl game remaining = 14-23

Butch Davis, North Carolina

Three years prior to hire: 6-6b, 5-6, 3-9 = 14-21

Three years after hire: 4-8, 8-5b, 8-4 with bowl game remaining = 20-17

Tom O’Brien, North Carolina State

Three years prior to hire: 5-6, 7-5b, 3-9 = 15-20

Three years after hire: 5-7, 6-7b, 5-7 = 16-21

Todd Dodge, North Texas

Three years prior to hire: 7-5b, 2-9, 3-9 = 12-23

Three years after hire: 2-10, 1-11, 2-10 = 5-31

David Bailiff, Rice

Three years prior to hire: 3-8, 1-10, 7-6b = 11-24

Three years after hire: 3-9, 10-3b, 2-10 = 15-22

Jim Harbaugh, Stanford

Three years prior to hire: 4-7, 5-6, 1-11 = 10-24

Three years after hire: 4-8, 5-7, 8-4 with bowl game remaining = 17-19

Bob Toledo, Tulane

Three years prior to hire: 5-6, 2-9, 4-8 = 11-23

Three years after hire: 4-8, 2-10, 3-9 = 9-27

Todd Graham, Tulsa

Three years prior to hire: 4-8, 9-4b, 8-5b = 21-17

Three years after hire: 10-4b, 11-3b, 5-7 = 26-14

Second Year Coaches

Bobby Petrino, Arkansas

Two years prior to hire: 10-4b, 8-5b = 18-9

Two years after hire: 5-7, 7-5 with a bowl game remaining = 12-12

Art Briles, Baylor

Two years prior to hire: 4-8, 3-9 = 7-17

Two years after hire: 4-8, 4-8 = 8-16

Steve Fairchild, Colorado State

Two years after hire: 7-6b, 3-9 = 10-15

David Cutcliffe, Duke

Two years prior to hire: 0-12, 1-11 = 1-23

Two years after hire: 4-8, 5-7 = 9-15

Paul Johnson, Georgia Tech

Two years prior to hire: 9-5b, 7-6b = 16-11

Two years after hire: 9-4b, 10-2with ACC Championship and bowl games remaining = 19-6

Greg McMackin, Hawaii

Two years prior to hire: 11-3b, 12-1b = 23-4

Two years after hire: 7-7b, 6-6 with one game remaining = 13-13

Kevin Sumlin, Houston

Two years prior to hire: 10-4b, 8-5b = 18-9

Two years after hire: 8-5b, 10-2b with CUSA Championship and bowl games remaining = 18-7

Rich Rodriguez, Michigan

Two years prior to hire: 11-2b, 9-4b = 20-6

Two years after hire: 3-9, 5-7 = 8-16

Houston Nutt, Mississippi

Two years after hire: 9-4b, 8-4b with bowl game remaining = 17-8

Ken Niumatalolo, Navy

Two years prior to hire: 9-4b, 8-5b = 17-9

Two years after hire: 8-5b, 8-4b with one reuglar season game and bowl game remaining = 16-9

Bo Pelini, Nebraska

Two years prior to hire: 9-5b, 5-7 = 14-12

Two years after hire: 9-4b, 9-3b with Big 12 Championship and bowl games remaining = 18-7

Jerry Kill, Northern Illinois

Two years prior to hire: 7-6b, 2-10 = 9-16

Two years after hire: 6-7b, 7-5 with possible bowl game remaining - 13-12

June Jones, SMU

Two years prior to hire: 6-6, 1-11 = 7-17

Two years after hire: 1-11, 7-5b with bowl game remaining = 8-16

Larry Fedora, Southern Mississippi

Two years prior to hire: 9-5b, 7-6b = 16-11

Two years after hire: 7-6b, 7-5b with bowl game remaining = 14-11

Mike Sherman, Texas A&M

Two years prior to hire: 9-4b, 7-6b = 18-10

Two years after hire: 4-8, 6-6 with possible bowl game remaining = 10-14

Rick Neuheisel, UCLA

Two years prior to hire: 7-6b, 6-7b = 13-13

Two years after hire: 4-8, 6-6 with possible bowl game remaining = 10-14

Paul Wulff, Washington State

Two years prior to hire: 6-6, 5-7 = 11-13

Two years after hire: 2-11, 1-11 = 3-22

Bill Stewart, West Virginia

Two years prior to hire: 11-2b, 11-2b = 22-4

Two years after hire: 9-4b, 8-3b with final regular season game and bowl game remaining = 17-7

Of the 21 new hires in 2007: 16 have taken their schools to at least one bowl game

Of the 18 new hires in 2008: 14 have taken their schools to at least one bowl game, and Texas A&M and UCLA are both 6-6 this season with an outside chance of going to a bowl game.

As you can see, the majority of new hires get something going in fairly short order with "someone else's players."

The notable exceptions are these:

Given The Keys, But Wrecked The Car

Steve Kragthorpe, recently fired at Louisville, and Rich Rodriguez at Michigan. Both jumped into bigger situations and couldn't do it. Kragthorpe jumped from Mid-Major/CUSA to BCS Big East. Rich Rodriguez jumped from BCS Big East to BCS legendary Big 10 school.

Schools Who Thought They Were More Than They Really Are Or Will Ever Be

Southern Mississippi - who were they kidding when they forced out Jeff Bower? No one will do better in that conference with those circumstances. Larry Fedora is proving you are what you are.

Arizona State - who were they kidding when they got rid of Dirk Koetter? Those three consecutive bowl games he led the Sun Devils to in his final three seasons don't look so bad now, do they?

Minnesota - they fired Glenn Mason for this? It's the same as it ever was. Minnesota should have been happy with bowl season after bowl season. They weren't.

Tulane - those four and five wins seasons under Chris Scelfo don't look so bad now, eh?

Arkansas - Houston Nutt/Bobby Petrino - interchangable parts? The Razorbacks are what they are - also rans of the SEC...same as they were for most of their SWC existence.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

The Bar Was Set Low...But, Baby We Crossed It!

Mario Christobal, FIU: 8 wins in three seasons priors, 9 wins since taking the job.

Robb Akey, Idaho: 9 wins in three seasons prior, 10 wins since taking the job with a bowl game remaining.

Bill Lynch, Indiana: 12 wins in three seasons prior, 14 wins since taking the job, including a bowl game in 2007.

Tom O'Brien, North Carolina State: 15 wins and one bowl season in the three season prior, 16 wins and one bowl season (2008) since taking the job.

David Bailiff, Rice: 11 wins and one bowl season prior in the three seasons prior, 15 wins and one bowl season (2008) since taking the job.

Art Briles, Baylor: 7 wins in the two seasons prior, 8 wins since taking the job.

Steve Fairchild, Colorado State: 7 wins in the two seasons prior, 10 wins and a bowl game (2008) since taking the job.

Jerry Kill, Northern Illinois: 9 wins and one bowl season in the two seasons prior, 13 wins and a bowl season, possibly two, since taking the job.

June Jones, SMU: 7 wins in the two seasons prior, 8 wins and a bowl game since taking the job.

The Bar Was Set Low...But, We Still Couldn't Make It

Neil Callaway, UAB: 15 wins and one bowl in the three seasons prior, 11 wins and no bowls since taking the job.

Todd Dodge, North Texas: 12 wins and one bowl in the three seasons prior, 5 wins since taking the job.

Bob Toledo, Tulane: 11 wins in the three seasons prior, 9 wins since taking the job.

Rick Neuheisel, UCLA: 13 wins and two bowls in the two seasons prior, 10 wins and an outside shot at a bowl (6-6) since taking the job.

Paul Wulff, Washington State: 11 wins in the two seasons prior, 3 wins since taking the job.

The Bar Was Set Pretty Low And I Wracked My Jimmies Trying To Get Over It

Derek Dooley, Louisiana Tech: 16 wins and a bowl game in the three seasons prior, 16 wins and a bowl season since taking over.

I have family in Arkansas, so I follow the Razorbacks. They never seem to be able to get over the hump. They forced Nutt out, for sure.

Regardless, to me, they are like Auburn and Clemson and so many other programs - if a guy is winning and taking you to bowl games, be happy. The changes they have made haven't been dramatic. I'd argue they weren't even really necessary.

The problem at those schools is that if you have one blip, you're gone. And, the blip can even be a bowl season! And, that's where I don't understand the people who say Todd Dodge had it tough here. The media coverage, fan interest, and overall expectations at North Texas are so low that they are just about off the radar.

I have family in Arkansas, so I follow the Razorbacks. They never seem to be able to get over the hump. They forced Nutt out, for sure.

Regardless, to me, they are like Auburn and Clemson and so many other programs - if a guy is winning and taking you to bowl games, be happy. The changes they have made haven't been dramatic. I'd argue they weren't even really necessary.

The problem at those schools is that if you have one blip, you're gone. And, the blip can even be a bowl season! And, that's where I don't understand the people who say Todd Dodge had it tough here. The media coverage, fan interest, and overall expectations at North Texas are so low that they are just about off the radar.

Well being a Hog fan all of my life, I can understand what you are saying. I had grown tired of the Houston Nutt stuff and sure he got you to a bowl game every year, but never could win them. Who knows what Petrino will do there and for all I know he may leave in a few seasons and never get us to a BCS bowl game, but I never want my school to become complacent in where they are at.

Well being a Hog fan all of my life, I can understand what you are saying. I had grown tired of the Houston Nutt stuff and sure he got you to a bowl game every year, but never could win them. Who knows what Petrino will do there and for all I know he may leave in a few seasons and never get us to a BCS bowl game, but I never want my school to become complacent in where they are at.

I'd be happy to be complacently in a bowl game every season.

Look at what moving beyond "complacency" has done for Michigan as well.

I'd be happy to be complacently in a bowl game every season.

Look at what moving beyond "complacency" has done for Michigan as well.

I hear you. It is an interesting debate. But if we are complacent to be in a bowl game every year, or most years, we probably shouldn't have removed DD from our head coach. Sure he had a couple of down years, but his health was down too. Michigan didn't work out and the Hogs deal may not work out either. But when you have huge amounts of money coming in from boosters especially in the big schools, they don't become complacent.

Careful there...those sort of comments have been known to earn the douche bag label from some of our fellow posters.

Where do your true allegiances lie? Are you a real Mean Green fan or just a poser, wannabe?? :P

Careful there...those sort of comments have been known to earn the douche bag label from some of our fellow posters.

Where do your true allegiances lie? Are you a real Mean Green fan or just a poser, wannabe?? :P

Trust me, I hear it all the time :D

Dad teaches at UNT, but got his PhD from the UA, so I grew up with nothing but Hogs. Once he was hired by UNT we started going to all of the games and such, but still watched and attended Hog games on a regular basis. I will always be a Hog fan, but since I graduated UNT I will also always be a UNT fan. Most of my non UNT fans can't figure out why I was so interested in listening to saturday's game, but that is just part of the addiction I suppose.